(Close Window)
Topic: Banana Trick
Does anyone use the Banana Trick as seen in Terry Herbert's DVD? Curious about the reactions to this little sponge miracle.
I use the carrots. Both, as well as cucumbers which I also have, are available from Dan Garrett. I don't do Herbert's routine, but they get a good laugh.
I'm unaware of Terry Herbert's routine. But, if I may, I would like to piggy back on this thread and ask if anyone knows where to find latex fruit ala Doc Hilford's "20 Minutes with a Balloon". He uses a latex bananna as a production item, and it looks real.

Scott ;).
HI,
I use bananas or carrots every show 4-10 years works great for me
Phillip
I bought many latex production items from Owen Magic Supreme over 20 years ago. Sold some of it except a watermelon and 3 bananas. I use the bananas a bunch (ha-ha), and they look very real.

http://www.owenmagic.com/Rubber_Goods/Rubber/rubber.html
Yep, I also use the bananas in every show.

However, I make my own bananas out of bright yellow dense foam; and mark/colour with black and green spirit pens.

The density and springiness of the foam as sold by many dealers are not the same as the original Dan Garrett ones.

The open foam of some bananas do not spring open quickly enough (from the folded position). Also I make my bananas larger/thicker for better visibility.

John Breeds
Candini,
You can't go wrong with this! I made my own sponge props and the kids goes wild. It always draws a response and from bananas,it became carrots and hamburgers! With the props,I use it to create different "make-up" on my face. Eg:the bananas curve side down on my upper lips becomes my dad and with the curved side down becomes an angry dad when he sees my exams results. It can become horns etc.
FM
I'm sold, thanks gang!

Phillip,

Are your's dealer bought?

C
I do this effect with sponge fish as part of another effect. I made the fish myself.
If you have a monkey puppet sponge bananas are a lot of fun, aswell.
Bought them today in support of my local magic shop.

Practicing the move and it looks like they will bring some laughs for sure.

Thanks all!
I use 2 rubber hot dogs (weiners) and do the "Amazing One Hotdog Trick!"

Mine are almost worn out now but were given to me by a very special magician so I like to use them as a tribute to him.

I have thought about the sponge pickles, especially for my clown - Professor Pickles.
Pickles.....now that's a new one to use:)
Pickles are NOT new ... see my previous post. At least one dealer, Dan Garrett, sells them (pickles, cucumbers, whatever ...)
Thanks for the discusson of sponge bananas (carrots, pickles, etc.) I've been making and selling these items for more years than I care to count. In the UK, they are sold by Davenports and by Keith Bennett. I have never seen Terry Herbert's routine with the sponge bananas. Would someone care to describe it here?

Gary Ouellet had an offbeat running gag with a sponge banana on his close up video.

The "multiplying banana" move did not originate with me. It's an old move that goes back to cigars (popularized by Leipzig) and rubber hot dogs. The first sponge bananas I ever saw were sold by Al Cohen (of Washington, DC, NOT Al Cohn the Sponge Ball King), and my adaptation of the "move" was inspired by Al. I also added the "baby bananas" to the routine to have an additional comedy ending (a la "multiplying rabbits")
(:}D)
Dan, I picked up the Carrots from David Ginn a few years ago Brought them back to Oklahoma and they went right into my show. I've used them as an intro to the rabbit production. LOVE THEM. I was thinking of using the bananas or is that bannannannannas guess it depends on how many you end up with. How many baby bananas come in one pack? I think it'd be a great in the hands ending to a routine.
Thanks,
Joe Comet
The pickles have been sold by Steve Bendar at Ickle Pickle for at least 10 years.
Ronald R.Romiski
I'm making up a fun version of this for my own use.

I introduce a bag which I tell the child contains my highly trained pet monkey Wiggles. I ask a child up to pat Wiggles and as their hand goes in, I make loud monkey noises and startle the child (not SCARE, just startle), which they LOVE.

I say "hmmm he's hungry, let me give him some bananas." The child holds the bag up and I make bananas appear one after the other until I can't STOP making bananas! I'm hoping to produce a GIANT banana last of all!!!

I shake the bag around in front of the children and it falls apart into a single foulard. i.e. it is a blendo bag. Painted on the front of the bag is a headless monkey which I hold in front of the child so it looks like THEY are the monkey. I don't notice of course and all the children scream (the reason I do this is so the child on stage isn't made to look foolish, I am).
Nicholas,
I like the idea of a giant Banana at the end that really get's them going. I have used the sponge tooth (lost it at a party so guess I'll be buying another one soon) and then going into the carrots with a eating healthy routine that the kids enjoyed. Of course with the carrots we did end up with a rabbit at the end.
Enjoy!!
Joe Comet
Buy from Dan Garrett, buy from Dan, buy from Dan!
They are the Best available today.
Dan is a great guy and an honest dealer as you noticed he credited AL of Al's Magic with the move.

Dan also has an excellent video that covers this production move and includes some great show ideas.
Oddly enough I think Dan only does business through email or snailmail and doesn't have a products page.
Let us know if I am correct, Dan?
Glodmagic

You would be correct. Dan does not have product on his web site. However you can email him and he is quick to send stuff out. He is lecturing a lot of April up North. Dan sold me my first trick to me when I was 8 year old. And yep, it was the bannans. My hands were too small small to conceal them at the time. But I wanted them so bad after seeing Dan do the trick.

ken
My banana's bigger and thicker than most, too. But for kids' shows, I use the carrots prior to doing my "Fraidy Cat Rabbit." The kids know they're fake, but it's still amusing to them. Fake carrots, fake rabbit. What could be better?
The Dan Garrett video in question is his "Kidshow Konnivery" VHS tape. When I first watched the tape, I thought that Dan was using a banana with multiple shells. But, NOOOOOOO! Dan was using just TWO bananas and a very clever and smooth move. Completely fooled me. And, even now knowing how the effect is done, it still fools me!! The move is that good.

I highly recommend the Garrett tape. The school performance of Dan's shown on the tape was amazing to watch. What really impressed me the most (and more so than the actual effects performed) was the audience management skills of Dan (we are talking 4-5 year olds here, folks) AND the fact that, with the exception of approximately 2 effects, Dan could have performed this entire show out of his pockets!! Think about that. Putting on a very entertaining kids' show without the necessity of all the big magic boxes and tubes and glitter. Don't get me wrong. The effects that Dan did were great effects. It's just that the other things I took away from this video were even more valuable and impressive.

Dan gets more mileage out of a handkerchief, a few 260 balloons, his "Judy the Mouse" and a piece of rope than you can possibly imagine. There ought to be a law against this.

Oh! And getting back to the banana trick, halfway through either the performance or the explanation of the effect, Dan sneaks a couple of carrots into the effect and goes from bananas to carrots and, I think, back to bananas. The moves are so smooth and unexpected that you just have to marvel at the performance. The "banana" move used and taught by Dan is worth the price of the tape.

One of the best kids's show videos out there and well worth your money and time.

Just, IMHO.
I've got two versions, one which uses larger bananas and one that uses smaller, thinner bananas (like on Terry Herbert's DVD). They've each got their pluses and minuses in my opinion. The thicker ones seem to snap open faster, but they're not as artistically made (and painted). In contrast, the smaller bananas look a little more realistic in terms of color and markings but require a little more finesse in the handling. The routine itself (regardless of the prop used) is a lot of fun and I use it in every kid's show I do. I start out by telling the kids it's a magical banana wand, which of course makes them laugh, then I tell them I'm just kidding, that you can't really do magic with a banana. But when I go to put the banana away and up pops another! And another! And another! Maybe you CAN do magic with a banana! It might sound corny, I know, but it's usually very well received among children.
I love the bananas and have been performing them for years. I also perform the move as a running gag, in my children's show, when I put away my carrot(s) and sponge ball(s), as well.

I use the banana move quite often as the finale of my sponge ball routine, in my roving repertoire. It looks great with sponge balls once you get the knack.

Rick
Anyone know where to get good sponge carrots?
[quote]
On 2006-10-26 03:38, John Bowlin wrote:
Anyone know where to get good sponge carrots?
[/quote]

I got mine from Dan Garrett.
I use one banana and 6 carrots in a routine wich looks like teh multiplying golfballs. works great for the kids. the carrot is for my horse and the banana for me.

the production of the third and the forth are baffling for the kids.
I have bananas in stock and ready to go... and I have NEW MOLDS for oranges and lemons...

Don't wait 6-9 months (or longer) for Owen to make them...

http://wackomagic.com/wackomagic/Rubber_Fruit.html
Your fruit looks great. I assume they are hollow; that being the case do they "pop up" quickly, as is needed for multiplying effects? I have had hollow latex veggies and fruit that were flimsy and tended to collapse, which made them difficult to work with.
The sponge banana's produced by Alan Wong are worth checking out. (you can see them [url=http://www.dudethatscoolmagic.co.uk/acatalog/SB_Sponge_Bananas_by_Alan_Wong.html]here[/url]) Their size, realistic look, and handling are, for me, all ideal.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned them in this thread.
I use Dan's Bananas, Carrots and Pickles. I still remember Dan teaching me the move at a juggling convention years ago. I never thought I would do it as well as he did. I don't know if I do it as well now but I sure get a lot of laughs and puzzled looks with them.
The posts on this thread are from 2005, before Wong started making them.
Randi rain also sells very nice, realistic looking bananas....
*singing* YES....WE HAVE NO BANANAAAAAAAAS...WE HAVE NO.. oh, pardon me, what was the subject again?

I have the ones by alan wong. Theyre great, look real, and I get a TON of laugh-milleage out of them, during the search for a magic word. (abracadabra vs. have-a-banana)
Futureal...I didn't notice how old the posts were in this thread!

I remember years ago one of my first posts on the Café had a title that went along the lines of..." I'd like a fatter banana".

I was looking for a spare set of sponge bananas that were like the one I had as I preferred them to the thinner ones. That must have been before Alan Wong made them too as no one was able to offer up any suggestions..... well none that pertained to bananas anyway...
I end up my banana routine by having my volunteer look in the bag to tell me how many bananas are there. Instead she finds my gorilla puppet, whom I proceed to admonish for eating all the bananas.

If you watch David Ginn do the effect on Youtube, he puts it over with his usual cornball humor. A good line of his is, "This trick really has appeal." Then he groans at the corny pun. He ends up with his volunteer finding a giant banana in the bag. If you're entertaining kids regularly, I suggest that you check out all of David's videos on Youtube. He is a great children's magicians who uses a wide variety of effects. I have incorporated three of them into my act after watching him do them.