(Close Window)
Topic: Glorpy
I was thinking about buying this for Halloween. It's only $5.00. Is it worth it or could I make my own? It sounds interesting. Here is the link.

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=1887&cat=&page=1

What are your opinions on this?

Phil
Phil,

Glorpy has been around just about forever and can be a fun bit. You could certainly make your own if you know how it works but for $5.00 I would go with the ready-made dealer item.
I think this is best presented as a brief bit between effects, maybe before using the hank for something else. You have to be careful about spectators trying to grab the hank as it can't be examined but it does look mysterious. Not bad at all for 5 bucks.
I have always loved Glorpy and sold an awful lot of them at the magic shop. While it's simple, to make one and get it right would take more time than the small cost of a real one justifies. My opinion only.
Slim
The man whom I credit for my involvement with magic first sparked my interest with this effect. While the working is simple and the cost is fair, his presentation made it seem like an effect that should cost ten-fold of the selling price.
-Jim
There is a fold-up version of the Glorpy mechanism. For the standard Glorpy, the handkerchief can be folded to only 1/2 its width on one side. With the fold-up mechanism, it can be folded into a square that is a quarter of the width of the handkerchief.

Unfortunately, the mechanism is no longer on the market. Furthermore, it is very difficult to make properly and almost impossible to describe.
This effect I purchased as Hyrum years ago and is a riot. With the right routine it is excellent. I was asked to do this all the time when I worked the General Jackson. Now I combine it with cardtoon. I know some combine it with spirit writing, it's possibilities are truly limitless. Look past the basic instructions and develop this. Trust me, it will be worth it.

P.S. Change it's name Glorpy sounds like a Dwarf mix-breed. IMO
Errrrr your avatar is horrid!

As for using these, Banachek has an unusual effect on his psi series called spirit writing. You may be interested in this...
Here's an idea I got from a Café member a couple years ago.
I use the voodoo doll with it, that way you're using 2 methods to make the doll move.... Forget how it was but thanks!!
Get is out every Halloween and some times as a warm up for my parlor show..

paul
Hiya, Magi:

Seconding Paul's suggestion, I use Glorpy/Hyrum/Sylvester for ANY effect that should move...Haunted Key being my fav. "Look...it's turning...oooh, spirits don't like the light...we'll let 'em work in darkness beneath this covering..."

Caution: Should not be used on the faint of heart.

Leland
Don't hesitate spending five bucks on this. It can play anywhere from a cute gag to a frightening bizzare effect. Eugene Burger has a beautiful Glorpy for sale and if you can find a Tenyo haunted house trick, it comes with a really cool looking Glorpy (skulls and stuff in the design). I've used one for spirit writing and got great reactions. I've also used it in conjunction with an invisible deck (Max Maven's idea, I think).

Richard
Not only does Eugene Burger have a beautiful glorpy for sale but he has a great routine on one of his DVD's (I don't remember which one as I watched a friends set).

If memory serves me correctly, J.C. Wagner also has a routine on his "Commercial Magic" tape/DVD.
Make your own!
The possibilities with using a "Glorpy" are endless. It's worth the $5.00! Just remember that presentation is everyting!
JC Wagner has one of the best routines out there!
In JC's routine the "hank" is a big top for his trained Flea. Cards are shuffled, a card is selected and returned to the deck and suffled again. The deck is wrapped in a glorpy. He removes from his person a tiny flea. (I thought I saw something moving.) Places him in with the deck. But this is no ordinary flea!
He can read minds! Just think of your card and Herbie will find it. The cloth moves a bit and all of a sudden a card is raised to the magicians hand, can it be? Yes it can! The selected card has been found.
This is a wonderful walk around effect.

Magickman
Banachek is the man with a glorpy.

Theres an old adage from magi school: Anything can be made better with a glorpy!
All of the Glorpy-type effects require a very soft, flexible handkerchief to work properly. Some cheap knock-offs are made with cheap, stiff handkerchiefs.