(Close Window)
Topic: Magic ; new series on BBC.
Try this link for a full review...
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/programme.shtml?day=saturday&service_id=4224&filename=20041016/20041016_2010_4224_38998_60]Click Here![/url]

cheers
You lucky UK people!
OOOOOOOoooooooooo, sounds good.
I wonder if that's the show Luke Jermay will be fetured on.
Here is the schedule

Mind Magic Saturday 16th October 20.10
Produced & Directed By
Michael Armit & Kerry Richardson

Levitation Saturday 23rd October 20.10
Produced & Directed By Graham Strong

Close-Up Magic Saturday 30th October 20.10
Produced & Directed By David Hutt

Disappearances Saturday 6th November 20.10
Produced & Directed By Jonny Young

fluff
Thanks for the heads up guys

Yours In Magic
So what did everyone think of the first installment?

I though it was very good, went through all the history and featured the likes of Max Maven, Luke Jermay and Derren Brown. Can't wait for the next one!

Kevin Courtney
:kewl:
Thought this 1st episode was great and tactful too, it covered a lot of old archive footage also which I was curious about and found interesting.I thought this was a very good opportunity to include some of the rare Chan Canasta performances I have read about, but unfortunately not this time. Maybe the BBC have sold the rights to them. Recent interviews, with Eugene Burger, Kreskin, Randi, Maven, Brown, Berglas, and Marc Paul, some great mindreading too. Big thumbs up.
I taped it and loved it. The archive footage gave a good history of mentalism and where it came from. Showed some good tricks. However in my opinion it focused too much on the spirit side of things (seances). Overall very enjoyable.
Interview with Derren Brown? Hardly.He just demonstrated a verbal card force,that he did on MInd Control anyway.
Two quotes that stood out for me;

"...Mentalism is really just magic..." (Marc Paul), and that old chestnut "I've never been a magician...". (Uri Gellar) Liar.

But overall it was interesting stuff.

Dr. Zordas
It was great to see Luke performing 'For Andruzzi' and getting a fantastic response to it!

Great stuff, and I am so glad it focused on the seance stuff! Always good for business ;)
I loved it, I decided to make dinner while Uri was on though.

*yawn*
[quote]
On 2004-10-17 15:41, Dr. Zordas wrote:
Two quotes that stood out for me;

"...Mentalism is really just magic..." (Marc Paul), and that old chestnut "I've never been a magician...". (Uri Gellar) Liar.

But overall it was interesting stuff.
Dr. Zordas
[/quote]

I thought the last part of the Geller interview was quite telling. He said he wasn't prepared to see someone with an illness they thought could be cured by his powers but if they just wanted to be entertained, he couldn't see anything wrong with that.

For me, the closest he's ever come to admitting what he does is magic.

And after all, he agreed to appear in a program about ... magic!
...Spot-On! A complete liar!

Dr. Zordas
Overall a very engaging and informative programme, with a nice balance between the history of the art, archive footage, present day mentalism and the future.

Nice to put a face to the name in the case of Luke Jermay and to see the spectator pulse stop in action. And having added Marc Paul's DVD to my collection recently, I enjoyed his AAA clips, particularly the book test which is so simple and so direct.

And you got Max Maven in the Tower Of London echoing a Piddingtons' stunt, and David Berglas recreating his moving table for a group of restaurant diners.

Great stuff and it bodes well for the remaining programmes.
Anybody notice that Berglas used a "new" method for the table lift? Cleaner looking in some ways than the original version.
Yes I did notice a new method. When it first came on I was sure I knew how it was done, yet I could not detect this new method.
It suprised me when everyone round the table lifted both hands!

Kevin Courtney
:kewl:
I thought Max was brilliant
Does anybody know if the lifting table has been published/videod/DVDd(?)?
LOL
TJ
What was the routine Max used? It seems similiar to his minds eye deck ,in principle.Is it on Videomind 3(I have 1 and 2)if not anyone help?
I was at a lecture by Luke Jermay this year in which he told the story behind the pulse-stopping with the nurses. Quite amusing...
...and.....you're just going to leave it at that ????
Sexy nurses have always made my pulse go faster, I wonder if I could market this effect..? :)
Harry H,

Yes, no doubt some such similar principle to the Mind's Eye Deck was used. There's some information on the clever subtleties he's using on Andy Nyman's International Magic Lecture video.

It's not quite dual reality, not quite single reality.

Hope that helps... :)

Scott.
I'm sure that Marc Paul used a hard-backed book for the test he did; is this possible? I have his manuscript and had always assumed otherwise. It would look too obvious, the method being too inflexible....

Dr. Zordas
I did this once, worried about exactly that. It's not much of a problem as long as you hold onto just the pages, and not the hardback cover of the whole thing.
Dual reality?
single reality?

get real.

It was the minds eye deck being used for p** s***.

and you call yourself mentalists.

Curt.
Anyway we can convice the BBC to release this program on DVD format for the enjoyment of the rest of the free world?!

Jerry

PS Please stop with how great this program is, you are killing me.
Curt,

Yeah... dual reality is p**-s*** (when used to its maximum potential).

And yes, Mind's Eye Deck was used to select her symbol.

What's stronger? "Earlier you thought of a symbol..." or "I want you to see clearly in your mind an image of a symbol..."

What made me say 1.5 reality is that Max's language is more ambiguous as to what the situation is, in terms of when the decision was made to the choice of symbol. Neither here nor there. "You wrote nothing down..." etc.

Scott.
Let me get this straight,as it isn't in my mind at least.She actually used the ME deck.But she clearly said she hadnt done anything other than think of a symbol.I thought maybe the ME deck principle could be added to in order to achieve the effect.So it was just pre show work?
"But she clearly said she hadnt done anything other than think of a symbol"

Then you're falling (for want of a better word) for the verbal ambiguity.

Again, if you've seen the Andy Nyman Lecture Video (It might be on Get Nyman! too, I don't know Ė I havenít seen it) you'll understand what I mean.

Scott.
Re watched the programme last night and your right ScottJ,its all how you say it.But how funny if she'd said "I chose a card though.."
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Oct 20, 2004 06:50AM)
[quote]
On 2004-10-20 07:41, Harry H wrote:
But how funny if she'd said "I chose a card though.."
[/quote]

In that case, you probably would not have seen it anyway because it would have been edited out ;) That's the "power" of television!

But, yes, it takes good spectator's management skills to nullify the probability of something like that to happen and, I'm sure we all agree, Max Maven IS a master at that.

Paolo Cavalli
She wouldn't even have to take a card though, even pre show...she might have just said stop and looked at the card with the symbol on it.
it is all very clever! remember if its too good to be true...it is! come on guys we do magic, we know that he he!

In Magic
Steve Dela
P.S I thought the programme was fantastic! it had a nice foraml quality about it, the way magic on tv used to be.
I just find it so funny that people who have the Minds Eye Deck see a slick performance with it and it goes straight over their heads.

I always thought that coming up with something that fooled magicians/mentalists would be difficult, I now see how wrong I was.

I'd really be scared to see performances by some of those on here.

Curt.
[quote]
On 2004-10-20 13:06, DangerMouse wrote:
I just find it so funny that people who have the Minds Eye Deck see a slick performance with it and it goes straight over their heads.

I always thought that coming up with something that fooled magicians/mentalists would be difficult, I now see how wrong I was.

Curt.

[/quote]
We didn't "see" a performance with the deck though.Incidentally does anyone market the MInds Eye Deck?
Why would anyone assume that my television performance made use of something I've taught?

The "Mind's Eye Deck" is available from some dealers. I'm sure it can be found with a simple Internet search.
Max
Over a cup of coffee, a friend and I agreed that you stole the show
Your piece was the BEST of a terrific show
Cheers
TJ
Nice to have you on here Max.I did say that I thought the effect was similiar to Minds Eye deck;but Imstill not convinced it utilised that prop.Your answer makes me think I was right.
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Oct 21, 2004 08:38AM)
[quote]
On 2004-10-20 18:27, Max Maven wrote:
Why would anyone assume that my television performance made use of something I've taught? [/quote]
I actually did not see the show, Max. My comment was brought up by some other people here guessing pre-show or not...

As to why *I* would assume that you could use something you've taught... it's simply because you are sneaky enough to do that :) ;)

Why some of the others here did also assume that, it's not my answer to give, but theirs!

Paolo Cavalli
[quote]
On 2004-10-20 13:43, Harry H wrote:
[quote]
On 2004-10-20 13:06, DangerMouse wrote:

Curt.

[/quote]
We didn't "see" a performance with the deck though so although it had the look of the trick without considering pre-show it seemed like something else.Incidentally does anyone market the MInds Eye Deck?
[/quote]
You can pick up a minds eye deck at http://www.cards4magic.co.uk