(Close Window)
Topic: Rick Maue, the book of haunted magic
I'm thinking about purchasing this book. Any opinions? Is there material for the strolling worker...impromptu, etc
This is a WONDERFUL book, and you should not hesitate in buying it. :devilish:
I've managed to amass a small library and it just so happens to be in my collection also. If you're leaning toward "bizzare" magic, look into obtaining the "Invocation" books. Though out-of-print they contain very good ideas and some are even adaptable to the "the strolling worker...impromptu, etc " act. Not to discourage you, but see if you can find the book at your local magic shop first to take a look at it if you haven't .

A a side note, since your interest is in restaurant magic you might also check out Eugene Burgers' books...

DA :swordbasket:
And don't forget to check out the late Gene Poinc's wonderful "The Practitioner: Journeys Into Grey".
A fabulous book for bizarre magic, using the simplest of props, and it makes a great read.
For further bizarre material, you might wnat to take a look at my monthly columns in the e-zine Visions (www.online-visions.com) under Peter Marucci's Bizarre Bazaar.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
:wow:
Well, EVERYTHING I've seen from, discussed and used that came from Rick Maue is KILLER MATERIAL!

Gene Poinc was pure genius in just about everything I've seen come from his oddly twisted mind... Gene, Bro. Shadow, Ed Solomon and even Peter ;) are the "masters" of today's tongue-n-cheek realm of bizarre muse.

On the other hand... if you are creative/ resourceful yourself you may look into locating a series of books known as "The Fairy Books" there is a RED, GREEN, BLUE, YELLOW...and other colored books that were reprinted a few years back. These books contain the original versions of the old Goose & Grimm Tales (trust me, the wolves win in these stories and Fredie Keager would have a run for his money keeping up with some of the "gross" they dish out.)'

Have fun!
It's a great book, but there's no coin material...I mean, your name is VernonOnCoins.

EVILDAN.
If anybody is interested, I noticed a copy of the "Complete Invocation" still sealed in its plastic wrapper at [url=http://www.hollywoodmagic.net/]Hollywood Magic[/url] for sale, . It aint cheap boys and girls.

I think it is the best book I have even bought. It is not only the trick itself in the book but also detail description and thought behind it are written in the book. Highly recommend and you will not get disappointed.
What is the Complete Invocation? I gather that it is a collection, but what subject(s) are covered? I saw the book for $125, but it was wrapped in plastic...making it hard to get much of an idea about.
To quote the source, "it is a magazine consciously 'Devoted to Weird and Bizarre Magick.' " The copy you were probably looking at is Volume 1 and contains Issues One (July1974) to Issue Sixteen (April 1978). Articles included are by Anthony Raven, Tony Shiels, Masklyn ye Mage (a.k.a. Tony Andruzzi) and Phil Goldstien (a.k.a. Max Maven) to name a few.

There is another thread somewhere back in the lists that goes on about what volume is what and so on. A search could probably uncover it.

It's very good and there are lots of ideas if your into that sort of thing.

Or you could check [url=http://www.magicbookshop.com/invocation.htm]this[/url] out...

DA
I'll toss in another hearty recommondation of Maue's book. It's wonderful. You may find yourself laughing out loud for joy at some of the impeccably devious thinking behind killer routines.

Nor will I say a word against anything with Gene Poinc's name on it. The man was a genius and, although I knew him for only about 2 years and that mostly through online discussions, I miss him terribly (I plan to have his ghost assist me with an effect this Halloween season). ;-)
Sorry Steve...

I already had a Seance and got Gene's permission to invoke (or was that provoke) his essence, whenever I needed it on shows... ;) (Am currently working on Brian Flora as well...seems he wants Docc to Channel him though...)
Ahh, but Darmoe, [i]I[/i] won't be channeling Gene -- I'll be getting my audience assistant (probably an older child) to do it.

Should be pretty cool if it works. And I rather think Gene would like it. :-)
I have to totally agree with the recommendations for Rick Maue's book of Haunted Magick. It truly is filled with wonderful material. If interested in seance work, please check into the new video Carlyle Touch. Produced by Rick Maue's group Deceptions Unilimited, it features his famous Medium's grip on video. Quite a treat...

Later...

Martin