(Close Window)
Topic: How many Magic Café Forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?
1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light
bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another

6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the
corrected URL's

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot
handle the light bulb controversy

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about
light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start
it all over again
Haha Very true!
And 7 to denounce that changing a light bulb this way was :

a) exposing a secret
b) must be credited to Tom the Amazing Edison, who was the first who changed a light bulb anyway.

Matt
Good one Matt LOL
I'm sorry to report that this should have been posted under "General Magic: Food For Thought." :bg:

Terry
1 to say that he has a booking next Tuesday to light up the Golden Gate Bridge for 300,000 spectators and, since he has always been more into cards than lightbulbs, could someone suggest a few simple effects that he could master by then.

Bruce
And 42 to say, "I can do that and better!"
Q. How many Magic Café members does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. Into what?

Lee Darrow, C.H.
(same joke applies to Witches, too)
1 post describing 10 new methods for changing a lightbulb

5 posts condemning the guy for exposing methods in an open forum

1 post from an entrepeneurial member alleging that the 10 new methods were stolen from his new e-book (available to Café members for $30 via PayPal)

1 post from Max Maven on the history of each of the 10 "new methods," including detailed references to late 19th/early 20th century monograms and patent documents

1 post like this from someone with way too much time on his hands!
:goof:
DaveS
The light bulb has to want to change.
There is no lightbulb
Have you all (northern hemisphere), planted your daffodil bulbs, crocus, hyacinth, tulips, by the way?

(then of course you get the eccentric replies from people like me).
And finally
1 magic-cafe moderator who deletes the topic because writing about changing light blubs is against the forum rules! ;-)
This is funny!!!

3 to respond "where's the manual?"

Pants
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 22, 2004 01:55PM)
2 to announce they saw Mickey Silver do something with a light bulb.

LOTS to chime and and state they eagerly await the SUB (Silver Ultimate Bulb) DVD when it is released.
Watch out for an amazing new light bulb change I'm tipping in my forthcoming E-Book, "Brilliant Minds".

Let me whet your appetite.

Effect
A light bulb is seen to be working and suddenly goes.
The magician removes the old bulb, takes a new one from it's carton and plugs it in. It lights.

This is the bit that will confound those 'in the know':
No threads
No pulls
No rough and smooth, short or long
No magnets
No additional gimmicks
No sleights
No switches
(oops, disregard that last one )

It happens exactly as it reads.
Magic that happens in the hands.
Then of coarse theres the lecture coming round all the magic clubs on the correct way to do it.
It's a very hot topic at the moment.
375 members who ask peter laughran when he brings his new clb2 (change-light-blubs-2) on the market

563 members who saw david blane perform it on tv and want to do the same effect (although it was an camera-trick)

15261 magicians who write hate-posts against the "masked-magician" who shows on tv how changing a lightblub works!
1 to say, "Use the search function"

2 more to say, "Yeah, use the search function. That's what it's there for."
I think I have come up with a method to change a light bulb unlike anything that has ever been done before...well I haven't checked anywhere but it is entirely mine and uses no gimmicks or **** it may be able to be done with a [ or a ] and others use a ****** but mine is completely clean I will be marketing this very soon and will post here when it is ready, so check back here often....
Funny posts...Thanks for the chuckle
Nick
I just heard that an enterprising company is going to have the effect made from brass and outsourced to China!

Terry
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 22, 2004 03:09PM)
Hey, this suggests a funny version of the copper & silver transposition for performing :)

You do this by magic at someone's house. No idea about exact method yet, but it would impress people big time!

Walk over to a light switch, and the light does not go on. The bulb is too high up to reach. So you take another bulb out of your pocket... and ... then when you or they flip the switch it works :) The bulb in your hand is now greyish.. and goes in the trash.

Okay, simplest method I can think of involves a reed switch and screwdriver and just a couple of mins of prep work. Just off the top of my head.
Don't forget about -

1 to say "What's the reason for changing the light bulb? If there isn't a logical reason to change it in the first place, then the whole routine is pointless."

and

1 to say "I agree."
Also 1 to point out that changing lightbulbs can be dangerous and not to be performed in front of impressionable children!
[quote]
On 2004-10-22 16:09, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Okay, simplest method I can think of involves a reed switch and screwdriver and just a couple of mins of prep work. Just off the top of my head.
[/quote]

I am truly *shocked* to see you exposing this *switch* publicly. *Watt* were you thinking? I'm beginning to see you in a new *light*, Jonathan...

Barry
1 to say he can *switch* a lightbulb from 60 watts to 75 watts to 100 watts with a palm switch
Yup. And about 30 days for the famous "Changing Light Bulb Effect" to get penguined.
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 22, 2004 05:49PM)
Plus at least two believers and two skeptics to argue as to whether the light really goes out when you close the refrigerator door.

Steve
For Sale: One Light & Heavy Bulb. Cheap.
Get ready for Easy To Master Lightbulb Changes.

Greg
When is it available and can I do it close up?

Paula
Oh man... This is one funny thread!

I have nothing to add to it... so I guess I can be the staff member mentioned about 15 post ago :hysteric:

Mike
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 23, 2004 08:30AM)
1 to worry if the Mr. Electric act had this kind of effect.
Can I just say that the Light Bulb Change featured in the David Blaine 'Three Weeks In A Tub Of Gravy' special was based on my '100 What?' effect.

David knew he wanted to do something with a bulb but was very much in the dark until he previewed my forthcoming E-Book. He changed the handling slghtly ( I remove the old bulb with a cloth, he felt that detracted from the effect and showed his hands completely clean before removing it ). There is an edit at that point in the programme, which the observant of you may have picked up on, because the next time his hand is shown he has a bandage on it.

If anyone is interested I am now working on a strip light version that doesn't involve the end brackets snapping when you attempt to remove and attach. However, I may take David's advice and keep that one to myself. He's such a considerate chap, as are all his legal team.
Sorry, but can any one tell me what a light bulb, lightbulb or a lamp is? What is the best DVD or book to get for stuff with it? Can someone please illuminate me?

I did a search but all I found was this legal jargon.

[quote]Q: How many lawyers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Such number as may be deemed to perform the stated task in a timely and efficient manner within the strictures of the follow- ing agreement:
Whereas the party of the first part, also known as "The Lawyer", and the party of the second part, also known as "The Light Bulb", do hereby and forthwith agree to a transaction wherein the party of the second part (Light Bulb) shall be removed from the current position as a result of failure to perform previously agreed upon duties, i.e., the lighting, elucidation, and otherwise illumina- tion of the area ranging from the front (north) door, through the entry way, terminating at an area just inside the primary living area, demarcated by the beginning of the carpet, any spillover illumination being at the option of the party of the second part (Light Bulb) and not required by the aforementioned agreement be- tween the parties.
The aforementioned removal transaction shall include, but not be limited to, the following steps:
1.) The party of the first part (Lawyer) shall, with or without elevation at his option, by means of a chair, stepstool, ladder or any other means of elevation, grasp the party of the second part (Light Bulb) and rotate the party of the second part (Light Bulb) in a counter-clockwise direction, said direction being non- negotiable. Said grasping and rotation of the party of the second part (Light Bulb) shall be undertaken by the party of the first part (Lawyer) with every possible caution by the party of the first part (Lawyer) to maintain the structural integrity of the party of the second part (Light Bulb), notwithstanding the afore- mentioned failure of the party of the second part (Light Bulb) to perform the aforementioned customary and agreed upon duties. The foregoing notwithstanding, however, both parties stipulate that structural failure of the party of the second part (Light Bulb) may be incidental to the aforementioned failure to perform and in such case the party of the first part (Lawyer) shall be held blameless for such structural failure insofar as this agreement is concerned so long as the non-negotiable directional codicil (counter-clockwise) is observed by the party of the first part (Lawyer) throughout.
2.) Upon reaching a point where the party of the second part (Light Bulb) becomes separated from the party of the third part ("Receptacle"), the party of the first part (Lawyer) shall have the option of disposing of the party of the second part (Light Bulb) in a manner consistent with all applicable state, local and federal statutes.
3.) Once separation and disposal have been achieved, the party of the first part (Lawyer) shall have the option of beginning installation of the party of the fourth part("New Light Bulb"). This installation shall occur in a manner consistent with the reverse of the procedures described in step one of this self- same document, being careful to note that the rotation should occur in a clockwise direction, said direction also being non- negotiable.
NOTE: The above described steps may be performed, at the option of the party of the first part (Lawyer), by said party of the first part (Lawyer), by his heirs and assigns, or by any and all persons authorized by him to do so, the objective being to produce a level of illumination in the immediate vicinity of the aforementioned front (north) door consistent with maximization of ingress and revenue for the party of the fifth part, also known as "The Firm".[/quote]

thanks
DVA
How many magicians does it take to changea lightbulb? Just the one -

David Blaine holds the light bulb still and the rest of the world revolves around him.

Also the all new:

“Light 204.... Bulb appears hanging on a necklace”

“Ring Light.... Bulb ends up on the key ring”

Dave
And one to say, "there's a cheap way to do this, that we used to do years ago!"
Howie Diddits
Simple....only 1 and that's the one who doesn't have to change it, but can can just point a finger at it and it again will shine as brightly as the sun. Many wish we were that one. Did anyone shed a tear during that thought? :0)
[quote]
On 2004-10-22 09:11, Matt Andrews wrote:
And 7 to denounce that changing a light bulb this way was :

a) exposing a secret
b) must be credited to Tom the Amazing Edison, who was the first who changed a light bulb anyway.

Matt
[/quote]

And 1 to bemoan the exploitation of poor innocent light bulbs for our entertainment purposes!

Posted: Oct 25, 2004 6:20am
----------------------------------------
[quote]
On 2004-10-22 14:55, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
2 to announce they saw Mickey Silver do something with a light bulb.

LOTS to chime and and state they eagerly await the SUB (Silver Ultimate Bulb) DVD when it is released.
[/quote]

Wouldn't that have been Marvyn Roy?
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 25, 2004 06:21PM)
Y'know...when I bought a changing lightbulb back in 1972, it was only $12.00, and was high quality. Now that exact same changing lightbulb goes for $325.00, and it's made more cheaply!!!
Man...apparatus magic has gone through the roof!!!

Steve
[quote]
On every thread posted SomeGuy wrote:
I have small hands and I just can't seem to get the hang of changing the bulb. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Malini had small hands...
Plus 1 Spectator to say
"I know how you did that!"
For those of you who still are wondering about the palm switch...there´s also a new thing called the "Wall switch" which becomes handy later in the routine.

Whatever the case, enjoy it while you can. I bet next month Copperfield will run an ad in Linking Ring, Genii and Magic stating that changing lightbulb is his original idea and it is absolutely forbidden for anyone to perform it or he will sue not just yours but your granny´s behind as well.

And every now and then a newbie surfaces and wants to know the secret or whether it is commercially available. And then its 28617 new posts which in essence all say "NO" and tell the newbie to more creative and think of his/her own effects.
I am happy to announce that I am now the American distributor for the effect. It comes in either commercial (amateur) or professional versions.

Please see the following site and order accordingly:

http://www.budgetlighting.com/store/agora.cgi?page=light_bulb_changer.html

Terry
Did Supreme Magic use to do one?
1 to say, "It's in Tarbell..."
The guys on the Genii forum say they have the Café beat and have collectively come up with...

"The Ultimate Bulb to Socket".
They claim it is completely impromptu, needing no Café members whatsoever.
9 to suggest that the light bulb be changed with a double lift instead of a top change.
Don't forget...

One guy who to post rude comments about a pros' handling of the lightbulb.

Three more to defend the first guy's arrogance.

(Something to think about here folks. We seem to be doing a great job of discouraging others from participating here.)

Cheers - El Lamo
I can't change a light bulb, and I hate doing it. Therefore, you are not able to do it. Because if I say I don't like something, that means you aren't allowed to either, or I'll get an inferiority complex. I'd rather berate you for my own faults. Besides, if you say you can change a light bulb, I wouldn't want to hire you.
******* has just put up a demo and instant download.
*********** is selling their exclusive black light bulbs for $12.99
********** has downloads of flourishes with the new black light
**********.com sells canned electricity to make it work.
One individual is selling his lightbulb routine for $2500
and...
11 different members now say they actually invented the thing at their last IBM or SAM.

Don't forget to credit Thomas Edison for his pioneering work in the creation of this effect.
BTW.. What's a lightbulb?
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Nov 18, 2004 05:29PM)
I'd describe one to you, Rob, but by that time it will have been CHANGED, rendering my description obsolete.

Steve
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, it's night and I can't see in the dark.
Do I need a TT to perform changing the light bulb?

Also which would be the best levitation to incorporate in the act?

And as I am in Australia, how would the different voltage affect the act?

Oh and BTW - has anyone performed this without a card fountain?
I can't believe this is happening! Last night I had a strolling gig at a local restaurant and right in the middle of the bar, a light went out. As I began to patter about the Ancient Chinese Lighting Bulb, some guy (obviously an amatuer) comes in with a chair and another b*lb [b]IN FULL VIEW OF THE AUDIENCE![/b] I couldn't believe my eyes! Not only was he stepping on my performance, but he was performing MY EFFECT and he was butchering it to pieces. I mean, everyone could see that the b*lb was plainly in his hand PRIOR to climbing up onto a chair and OPENLY changing the bulb RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE AUDIENCE!!!!!!!

THEN IT GOT WEIRD....the guy I was performing for asks him what he is doing. AND HE CALMLY EXPLAINS THE SECRET OF THE EFFECT!!!! Doesn't this guys know what he is doing? I asked him if he was going to tell everyone about it, and he said that he has an instructional video on youtube for this AND [b]MANY[/b] OTHER EFFECTS!!! I am just worried that he is going to start exposing FANS (both ceiling and window), and the "Jiggle the handle" trick.

Is there something we can do about this?????

PS: The origins of the light bulb effect that I perform is based on Marlo's original handling of the effect which, IMHO, was NOT improved by Vernon's handling.
[quote]
on 9-2-06 [b]DC Illusions[/b] wrote:

NEW ANTI GRAV LIGHT BULB

* Can be performed surrounded!!!
* No extra bulbs - uses just one bulb!!!
* Bulb changes not just once, but twice!!!
* Totally impromptu!!!
* No magnets, threads, or strings!!!
* Instant reset!!!
* Can be performed in a field!!!
* Self contained!!!
* Build the props for less than $20!!!
* No Sleight of hand!!!

PRE ORDERS ARE NOW BEING TAKEN!!! DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS REPUTATION MAKING ILLUSION. ORDER NOW FOR $100 AND GET MY e-BOOK "How to Master Flourescent, Halogen and Incandescent Miracles"[/quote]

Has anyone seen this? Based on the description I pre-ordered one but I have some questions....do I have to take off my shoes to perform this effect? And is there a demo online anywhere? Paypal refuses to answer these questions and I NEED TO KNOW!! I have a show this weekend and I want this to be my closer. Any suggestions on patter?
Figured some of you all might find this handy:

http://www.ehow.com/how_370_change-lightbulb.html

Raven
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 20, 2006 09:05AM)
Nice,

is there a Martha Stewart version for folks who want to make this special?
This is what most people don't understand about lightbulbicians. It's not about the change, it's about the presentation. You don't even need to be able to change a light bulb, but if you can make the audience interested in the plot and development, you are a light bulb changer.

This should be moved to "Secret Sessions"!
Josh wrote:

[quote]This is what most people don't understand about lightbulbicians. It's not about the change, it's about the presentation. You don't even need to be able to change a light bulb, but if you can make the audience interested in the plot and development, you are a light bulb changer. [/quote]

Sure, man. But will it get the chicks?
Funny stuff!

johnny
[quote]
On 2004-10-22 08:49, bevbevvybev wrote:
1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light
bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another

6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the
corrected URL's

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot
handle the light bulb controversy

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about
light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start
it all over again
[/quote]

Please cite your sources, Sir!
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Sep 21, 2006 01:51PM)
If you do it right, you could even use a chrome lightbulb. Ask Bill Palmer.
Change a light bulb ... big deal.

ANYBODY can be a magician with enough suspicious-looking "magic apparatus." REAL magicians don't have to use a crutch like that.

I've been widely praised for doing miraculous things in rooms that had no light bulbs at all. Just ask some of my old girlfriends.
Is is my to teach? You to litbulb in to the. I don the books is correctly so could you teach. Who goat preplexes can is of the an Bok? Onc is saw a magic dois the litbub my evnelop but is is DVD?

If yuo go the DVD is the liteghbub the goat exsplin. Who is is escxplin to Teach? Fot foot DVD at rth PDF?

Is is not preplex how is at the?
Goat?
Now this is a good post. Just like the life of a Café goer.
You are 100% right on everything you said.
Is it a "real" light bulb?

Is it a union job?
[quote]
On 2006-09-20 22:42, Patrick Differ wrote:

Sure, man. But will it get the chicks?
[/quote]

Light bulb changing is NOT about getting "Chicks", unless you don't have a personality. Maybe you should try talking to her, asking her about your day. Before you start changing light bulbs to impress her you should discuss her bra size. Magic is much less important! Perhaps ask her weight, girls dig it when a guy asks her how much she weighs. Trust me!
Message: Posted by: Moyle with Parkinsons (Sep 25, 2006 07:37PM)
@ both josh's (or is that Josh-i I don't want to be flamed for that) and patrick

I just laughed milk out my nose. That is some funny stuff

Moyle
I knew it was a trick question!
How many Café posters does it take to change a light bulb?

The question has already been asked and answered!

[i](Note: It's in one of Jonathan Townsends 14,000+ posts.)[/i]

-Robert

PS: Before you waste bandwidth and ask which one - use the search button! That's what it's there for.
[quote]
On 2004-11-18 14:57, Rob Eubank wrote:
BTW.. What's a lightbulb?
[/quote]

It's a bulb that's not heavy, silly!
(Boy! We have to explain <everything> to
these newbies!)

[quote]
On 2006-09-20 10:05, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Nice,

is there a Martha Stewart version for folks who want to make this special?
[/quote]

Martha makes her own light bulbs from scratch. That was her occupational therapy in the big house!
Josh,
Are you saying that I should check to see if she is hiding lightbulbs in her sweater first before doing my coolest tricks to her?
Thanks for the tips, man. All help is appreciated.
I'm going to do some "lightbulbs" field work right now. I'll let you know how it goes.
What about the guy who, to the cheers of onlookers, offers to pay the $2.00 for the lightbulb if everyone else will just shut up about it?

;)

Amos McCormick
[quote]

[/quote]

Which one?
I meant to do it this way......

[quote]
On 2006-09-27 13:39, RobertBloor wrote:

[i](Note: It's in one of Jonathan Townsends 14,000+ posts.)[/i]

[/quote]

Which one?

See that makes a little more sense... assuming you look back a few posts which would waste everybody's time.
Just landed a gig to change a lightbulb and need suggestions for a routine...LOL
It takes ALL OF THEM....that is IF you can get them off the COMPUTER!
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Sep 29, 2006 11:07PM)
Did anyone see that lightbulb change on YouTube? It just sickens me. Especially when he says he's exposing it, in order to make magicians come up with new ways to change one. The classic bulb change has been entertaining people for over 100 years. My bulb change is completely different in presentation than anyone else's, but I still rely on the basic principal. What makes him think its his to give away? As far as I'm concerned the effect has been ruined. Thanks a lot Masked Bulb Changer! I hope you electrocute yourself!!!

BTW I hear that Ellusionist is now selling blacklight bulbs.
[quote]
On 2006-09-29 22:29, SeaDawg wrote:
Just landed a gig to change a lightbulb and need suggestions for a routine...LOL

[/quote]

If you don't have a routine, rehearsed and ready, then you shouldn't be accepting light bulb changing gigs! Save them for the professionals!
I don't get it PMPL