(Close Window)
Topic: Sponge Ball Learning Resource?
I have owned a set of Sponge Balls for about 6 months now.

I bought them at DisneyLand when I was there, and was never really shown how to properly use them, so I've taught myself a little bit.

I want a good learning resource, a book or video, that will teach me the basics, and maybe a bit more.

Can anyone suggest something good? I've tried the routine in The Complete Course In Magic, but the illustrations are hard to follow for me, so a video might work better.

I was thinking of buying Sankey's earplugs. How does that video work with regular balls?

Any other suggestions?
The MASTER ROUTINE WITH THE SPONGES by, Kozak
http://www.tannens.com/cart/cat15.html
It's an old but nice routine. With only one slight.

Magic by Gosh has Al Goshman's sponges routine which is priceless.

Another resource is Carl Andrews Magic from Maui.
Thanks man.

Anyone else?
Mark Wilson's book of close-up.
Jim
While looking for this type of material recently myself I came across a web page that might help you out. Probably the biggest list of sponge resources I've ever seen.

http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magspong.htm

~Craig
Wow GreyGhost.

That's a pretty good resource. Thanks.

Does anyone know if the Royal Magic video on Sponge Balls is any good?
OK, this is a really tough decision, but here goes!

I'd be willing to sell my copy of Frank Garcia's Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic for $400 (but only while this is posted in "Ever So Sleightly". If the post needs to be moved from here I would want it deleted).

That's $100 less than the copy that is mentioned on the following thread!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=55537&forum=115&33

So - any delirious - I mean serious takers!

Terry
For goodness sakes, get Patrick Page's Spongeball Video.

Brad Burt has a good one as well.
Patrick Page has one of the best all around videos. Jen Jensen's Volume 1 booklet on spongeballs has many sleights and a couple of good routines. You only need to learn one vanish, but learn it well, and if you want to be fancy, then maybe two.

To polish your vanish and routine, then check out Steve Dacri's video available on his website.
Thanks guys. Anyone know where I can get a copy of Patrick Page's video?
25 tricks with spongeballs has a nice routine... its pretty standard, but you won't have to spend big bucks for this vid. it's pretty much the same as the Brad Burt and Pat Page videos. Theres a really good routine from Michael Sibbernstein(not sure if I spelled his name correctly..my appologies Mike) called Technicolor Spongeballs.. Mike is a member here at the Café, he was givving it away for free before, but I'm not sure if he still is. you might want to send him a p.m.
I just watched Dean Dill's Intimate Miracles video and was fooled by his routine. I like it.
[quote]
On 2004-10-27 20:00, Iceman90 wrote:
Thanks guys. Anyone know where I can get a copy of Patrick Page's video?
[/quote]
I'll see it every now and then in the DVDs and videos forum here on the Café. You could also post a "Wanted-Patrick Page's Spongeball video" thread in the same forum. Café members have been helpful so I've had good luck picking up used/new tapes from other Café members with my previous "wanted" posts.
Thanks Mike. Frank Starsini has already offered to sell me a copy.
Wow! No takers at $400. You guy's are tough! OK -I'm dropping my copy of Garcia's Encyclopedia to $395. As a bonus I will also include a bookmark.

Terry
$395 and a bookmark? Even Penguin Magic offers better freebies then that!
Best not go down that route Iceman!

And thanks Craig (GreyGhost) for that link- very useful!
[quote]
On 2004-10-27 00:53, Magic.J.Manuel wrote:

Magic by Gosh has Al Goshman's sponges routine which is priceless.

[/quote]

Really? But the routine is kinda difficult to understand. Or maybe its just me.

Sol
You can find Patrick Pages Sponge Ball video here:

http://www.misdirections.com/videop.htm

It's very good.

Riley
Thanx. I'll go check it out.

Sol
Yikes I was just doing some searching and there's a used book seller (non-magic) with 2 first editions of Garcia's Sponge Ball books. One is signed. Priced at
$450 and 650. I believe they may sell for other sellers.
I know this is of topic but... once you learn sponge ball slieghts can you use these slieghts on normal objects? (grapes, bit's of paper?)
Ear Plugs by Jay Sankey. It is a DVD that comes with "ear plugs" to use as sponge balls. It has the best teachings I have ever seen in a sponge ball video.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=170

Very well worth it!
[quote]
On 2004-11-28 09:25, Owen Thomas wrote:
I know this is of topic but... once you learn sponge ball slieghts can you use these slieghts on normal objects? (grapes, bit's of paper?)

[/quote]Hi Owen. Absolutely! Infact,you can adapt many of these sleights to coins as well.Many a sleight of hand artists got their start with sponge balls that came with their first magic set.
[quote]
On 2004-11-28 10:26, Tysmagic wrote:
Ear Plugs by Jay Sankey. It is a DVD that comes with "ear plugs" to use as sponge balls. It has the best teachings I have ever seen in a sponge ball video.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=170

Very well worth it!
[/quote]

The moves and sleights taught in that video can be easily adapted to actual Sponge Balls?
Hi guys,
maybe I'm missing something, but my local magic dealer sells Garcias Encyclopedia for 70 Swiss Franks which are about 100 dollars.
I see a difference of lousy 300 bucks.
whats the point about the 400 $ encyclopedia? Is the german version cheaper because we old europeans need some support? ;-)

yfirum
If you can find it, Carneycopia has a 2 ball routine.
Scott Guinn's PBJ has some great routining. The routine itself is not my style but it's well put together and worth acquiring.
Do yourself a favor, spend the $10 on the 25 tricks with a sponge ball video. It has enough basic sleights to develop a routine out of. I have used the basic spongeball routine on that tape (modified slightly and with original patter) for years to great effect. My students always remember the sponge ball routine.
L&L Publishing has Patrick Page's spongeball video on sale for $10, and it's a great video for someone starting out.
The Penguinmagic have something I think, Jay Sankey earplug and sponge balls routine!
I sugest you to think something by your self, master the movies and false moves!
The 25 tricks video by Hampton Ridge (w/Dave Hudspath) gives you the productions, vanishes, and a coupla routines with corny patter. I have found spongeball magic to have strong effect at times. A lot of sleights work for a variety of objects, but the production and vanish of 2 inch spongeballs can be startling. The earplugs video is good, but it is geared around the one routine. On the other hand, we all use earplugs ... but what the heck are "spongeballs"?
Aren't sponge balls found inside square pants?
I last found Frank Garcia's book for 200 dollars on ebay.
Sankey's Earplugs! video is excellent IMO.

Sankey is slick with his sleights and it makes it very easy to pick up. You get about 4 decent routines and a load of moves.
[quote]
On 2004-12-13 05:28, Neil wrote:
Sankey's Earplugs! video is excellent IMO.

Sankey is slick with his sleights and it makes it very easy to pick up. You get about 4 decent routines and a load of moves.
[/quote]

Does he actually teach the routines? I've been told he only shows them but doesn't teach the full routines.
Sankey does teach routines on the DVD. And it's pretty good. Sankey is pretty goofy. (Okay, he's completely wacko). So his style may turn some people off. But I get a kick out of it. (But after watching an entire hour of him, I vow to give up coffee).

Here's the contents of Earplugs:

MOVES:
Retention Vanish
Upside Down Retention Vanish
False Transfer
False Take
Acquitment
The Nothing Transfer
The Pop-up move
Double Steal
Backdoor Steal
Banana Split
Roll Around Split
Ten Count
Hard of Hearing Opener (sponges from ears)
Jumbo Load Techniques

ROUTINES:
Shotgun Production Sequence
Likes Attract
Four on the Floor
The Pick Pocket

(Plus five other non-spongeball effects)

Magnus, I didn't make the spongebob connection until I did a Yahoo search for "patrick page sponge" and got thousands of links to pages about Spongebob and his pal Patrick.

Are you ready kids? . . .
I learned a hell of a lot from that Sankey vid. I watched it over and over. Practised for a month and ended up with 2 very nice routines.
Does the Earplugs stuff work just as well with "those old red spongeballs" as Jay says?
[quote]
On 2004-12-12 14:19, zur wrote:
I last found Frank Garcia's book for 200 dollars on ebay.
[/quote]

I have a copy of this I'm about to put on ebay.
If anyone has to have it before I do, PM me.

Frank
Iceman,

Yes, as far as sleights and moves go, Earplugs translates perfectly to regular spongeballs. Where it differs is in Sankey's patter, which involves pulling earplugs out of ears, etc.

There are certain things that are easier with earplugs than with balls. The earplugs sit flat in the palm without rolling around. Also, the Pop-up move works so easily and naturally with earplugs that it'll take some practice to get the same effect from balls.

Bottom line, Sankey's Earplugs covers all (or most?) of the traditional moves of spongeball magic, but with a unique plotline, and with Jay's bizarre sense of humor.
[quote]
On 2004-12-16 19:58, Steinbock wrote:
Iceman,

Yes, as far as sleights and moves go, Earplugs translates perfectly to regular spongeballs. Where it differs is in Sankey's patter, which involves pulling earplugs out of ears, etc.

There are certain things that are easier with earplugs than with balls. The earplugs sit flat in the palm without rolling around. Also, the Pop-up move works so easily and naturally with earplugs that it'll take some practice to get the same effect from balls.

Bottom line, Sankey's Earplugs covers all (or most?) of the traditional moves of spongeball magic, but with a unique plotline, and with Jay's bizarre sense of humor.
[/quote]

Sounds worth getting. I enjoy Sankey's teaching.
Iceman. Frank Garcia's book is in my opinion the best treatise on the subject of spongeball magic. It has a multiplicity of sleights including vanishes, aquitments and such. If you can swing it,it would serve you well. I published a very commercial routine in an issue of MUM earlier this year in Cody Fisher's Column I believe it was the June issue(It has Mark DeSouza on the cover. If you have an interest in this PM me and I will get you a copy of the routine. It is called 3 Ball in the side pocket.
It's about to go on ebay.
I'll probably put it up there tomorrow.

The book is basically in mint condition.