(Close Window)
Topic: Artful Mentalism by Bob Cassidy (New Book)
The following description is from Hank Lee's site:
----------------------------------------
"It has taken more than 20 years, but Bob Cassidy, a founding member of the Psychic Entertainers' Association and one of the most influential and colorful creators of modern mentalism, has finally written a worthy successor to The Art Of Mentalism.
When first published, it was immediately recognized as a classic in the field and is on the "top ten" list' of many leading mentalists. We predict that this new volume will eclipse the acclaim of the first. The first half of Artful Mentalism reprints his Art of Mentalism II (a complete professional performance thoroughly explained) and his four monographs of Principia Mentalia. As if that was not enough, the second half gives permanent form to 3 limited distribution manuscripts: Theories and Methods for the Practical Psychic; Strange Impressions and But Stranger Still. If all eight titles were published separately, the total cost would have been more than $150.00 retail. Now you can have them all; 290 typeset pages in a handsome hardback volume with dust jacket." $45.00
------------------------------------

Would welcome reviews/comments from those who have read any of the titles reprinted in the book. Thanks.
DaveS
I just got the book. So far I am loving it. The 3 envelope test is great! I will try to write more later.
This is a MUST HAVE! Really excellent material in this book ... in fact, it is one of my favorite books period. Do yourself a favor and buy it.
I just purchased the book from Byron Walker. My intention is to cross over from a family entertainer to psychic entertainer. His description of The Web is a great premise for explaining "how it works." I have not gotten into his routiens, I am much more interested in theory at this point of the game.

Magically Thine,

Scott Alcalay
The art of mentalism 2 and Principia Mentalia are classic in the field of mentalism. The Artful Mentalism is a book of routines of course, but more important, this book is about theorie, and Bob Cassidy analyzes every routine. His theory about parapsychology (Riding the Web) looks great. You liked the Art of Mentalism 1 ? Then, you will love even more this one. If you have to buy only a book about the mentalism this month, buy that one !
Thank you Bob and thank you H&R to have republished this bible !!
I was resisting buying this, now I think I'm goign to have to get it.

Thanks guys,

Best,
Kennedy
It must be a very good book, because I have all single books that are in this book, and they are great as everything from bob.
Great book but would have liked more illustrations. ie three envelope test how do you construct a shaxon flap?. I know its on the DVD pity its not in the book.
Ian

The shaxon flap is also described in Roy Johnson's Third Dimension if you can get hold of it.

If not PM me for details and I'll sketch it out for you.

Marcus
I agree, this book is a must have if you are at all interested in mentalism. It is way more than just a compilation of effects.
This is my best book purchase of the last year. It will keep the cogs turning for a long while.
[quote]
On 2005-03-06 06:44, Kennedy wrote:
I was resisting buying this, now I think I'm goign to have to get it.

[/quote]
You do not do anything alarming wrong if you do! :)
I am reading it these days, and so far it is great!

Sven
I've got most of the books that are contained in the "Art of Mentalism". One thing that I am pleasently surprised is that some of the re-printed material in the new book has been updated/added to.

I am a fan of Bobs' his delivery and performance style is top rate; his writing style is not hard on the eyes. He gives clear instructions in his material.

One surprise for me however had to do with his card memory effect that is published in his new book is not the same as is on his performance dvd "Mental Miracles". While the effect as noted in the book does work, I prefer the effect as shown on the DVD. I've used it and was asked by several people afterwards how difficult it was to memorise that entire/half deck of cards.
Just ordered this last night, cant wait to start reading it!

Scott
It's from Bob.... don't think... just buy...
I'm going to buy this...especially since you don't have to wait for an e-book delivery for weeks, like some have had to do before...

T.
The book is fantastic...

Cheeky, thought provoking and inspiring. Oh and there are some great "tricks" in it too. ;>)

With proper routining and presentation there are some fabulous ideas in it waiting for you to evolve to suit YOU.

As the review in the Linking Ring said...this is a book to be read and re-read. I highly recommend it!

(And I'm taking it to the beach to re-read with Mr. Maven's Opus. I've already read MESSING WITH MINDS. ;>)

Cheers,

James
You can't miss buying this book, from someone who knows what mentalism is all about
Just ordered mine! Can't waite!
It's from Bob...don't think....just buy...and wait...and wait......and wait...........and wait.................and wait.........................................

Hehehehe.....It's a joke however Bob is a great! :)
A question for those performing a version of the three enevelope test? Anyone actually having the numbers written on the envelopes or do you simply change the order of them?
I've read through the first part of the book and I am blown away by the material. It's so simple yet so powerful. I keep thinking to myself "BRILLIANT!" I've also gotten a few chuckles out of it! I can't wait to read the rest... It also makes me want to get his DVD 'cause I like his style of writing and I'm interested in seeing him perform.

Equivoque -- if you knew the spectators' names, I think it would be rather effective to write their names on the envelopes rather than 1,2,3. The "Judge" wouldn't notice the order of the cards if they had names on them. I may be over-thinking it, but it seems to me that you'd want to emphasize the IDENTITY of the envelopes rather than their order... My 2C.
Argh! My order still hasn't arrived (along with Desert Brainstorm)! I really want to get to reading this!

Scott
Hi All,

I have The Art Of Mentalism (Collector's Workshop Second Printing 2002). Does this mean I already have the first third(?) of The Artful? And, if so, is the Artful still worth getting-I'm gonna guess the answer will be 'YES!' but am hoping I can get a better idea of the differences...

Thanx!
Message: Posted by: The Paranormalist (Mar 21, 2005 06:31PM)
The Book is brilliant, no question.

But the best thing about it is that Bob is not selling this directly himself or we would never recieve it!!!!
Django,

Artful Mentalism does NOT contain The Art of Mentalism. It starts off with The Art of Mentalism 2. It also contains the four Principia Mentalia volumes, and 3 manuscripts: Theories and Methods for the Practical Psychic, Strange Impressions, and But Stranger Still.

The answer to your second question is of course "YES!" ;)
Fred!

Thanx for the info!
I've had this book for about three months now.

I absolutely love it.

Between this one and Corinda's "13 Steps" I'm always busy reading, researching, and attempting new effects.

Cassidy's constant use of Discordian terminology and metaphysics is refreshing, as well. fnord.

[quote]
On 2005-03-18 23:27, scott b. wrote:
Argh! My order still hasn't arrived (along with Desert Brainstorm)! I really want to get to reading this!

Scott
[/quote]

Hi Scott!

If you were nearby, I'd loan you my copy. I'm digging into "The Secret Ways of Al Baker" at the moment and expect to be chewing on this one for a good six months or more.

-V.
[quote]
On 2005-03-22 04:49, mentalvic wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-03-18 23:27, scott b. wrote:

Scott
[/quote]

Hi Scott!

If you were nearby, I'd loan you my copy. I'm digging into "The Secret Ways of Al Baker" at the moment and expect to be chewing on this one for a good six months or more.

-V.

[/quote]

Hey mentalvic,

Thanks much for the kindess, but I think I'm a bit far from you.

Still no book yet though :(

Scott
[quote]
On 2005-03-22 15:24, scott b. wrote:
Hey mentalvic,

Thanks much for the kindess, but I think I'm a bit far from you.

Still no book yet though :(

Scott
[/quote]

Anytime.

And everyone is pretty far from me. I'm in the backwaters of the Styx! =)

I hope your book gets there soon. It's a good book.

~V.
Hey Vic (and everyone else),

Book got here a few days ago and must say that from what I have read so far I LOVE. I love all of the art of mentalism 2 section (but knew the booktest routine. I do basically the same thing with Ultimate Flashback). And the "Principium's" are definetely very sound advice (And the routines like the "Chronologue" one and "Blind Man's Bluff" (which many of us know) are very credible routines to use, and I am definetely sure I am going to use these.

Scott
Ok folks, two questions. Where can I find the art of mentalism (I know where to find his newest book). And, if I go for the arful do I really need the first one or not? thanks, mark
"Artful mentalism" does not contain "Art of Mentalism 1".

So: Google for

Art of Mentalism 1984

and you'll find at least one supplier. It was first published 1984, and now reprinted in a new format (8 1/2" x 11")
I went back to this book the other day - favourite effect is the number prediction - so simple but if played right it's perfect.
Just so you know, I wrote I'm an email two days ago and he responded immediately. He mentioned some private issue that has kept him busy and that he is working on things. He said if I order "today" it will go out on Monday. Today is Saturday. So let's see, because I did order. Nice thing is shipping is included.