(Close Window)
Topic: Axtell remote control board
HI
Anythoughts on this item? I am anxious to spend over
$1000.00;and have never seen the effect live! Any help
would be appreciated;especially from if you own or have seen one in use.
Thanks
Magically yours,
Boz
Honestly, I think going with a regular axtell board is just fine. I get AMAZING reactions with the axtell board.

I just feel 1000.00 is a bit steep for a remote setup on that board.

I would get a regular board...and spend 900.00 on something else amazing.
I tend to agree with Rob. Although, I would love to have one if I had an extra $1000 lying around. It just seems like that is a lot of cash for basically the same effect. It makes perfect sense to hold the original board in your hands to operate it anyway, since you are drawing the picture. That's just my opinion. I don't have it and I haven't seen it used yet. If money grows on trees around your house, then by all means get it.

Regan
I use the Magic Drawing Board in every show and it is always a favorite. So why should I spend $900 for a remote control board. The regular one is great!

I care much more about entertaining the audience, than about fooling them, and you can entertain just as well with the regular board.

OliverTwist
Oliver,

I seem to remember a post you made a long time back where you talked about modifying your Magic Drawing Board. It had to do with the eye control...maybe a loop...I'm not sure. I can't find that post anywhere. Anyway, I was hoping to modify mine so I could control the eyes with only my thumb. Assuming it was you, would you mind giving me some tips on how to do this? Do you like yours better this way?

Thanks.

Regan
Regan,
I had put a loop on the end of the eye lever. It didn't work well enough so I took it off. I'm not using it now. The idea may still be good but I didn't execute it very well.
The only modification I currently use is I have a one inch long piece of wire taped just above the eye lever to tell me when the eyes reach their limit (just before they disappear) so I know where to stop.

Oliver
Great post Oliver.

I agree fully. The people are going to know you are controlling no matter what....it is about ENTERTAINING...
If you really want a remote Magic Drawing Board...buy a regular one from Axtell and ask a friend of yours with electronics experience to do the job for two or three hundred box. It could be done with a solenoid and a cheap remote control for less than a hundred box, but for proportional movements it will cost you nearly three hundred box.

ANDRE LE MAGICIEN
Excuse my french...from Quebec Canada!
Oliver,

Thanks so much. What did you use for the loop and how did you attach it?

Regan
What a wonderful line, "entertain the audience instead of just fooling them." I bet you get a lot of repeat shows and referrals with that philosophy. I'm just getting back into magic and thinking of adding a puupet to the act. Do puppets and magic go together well?
[quote]
On 2004-11-24 23:56, Whitewolfny wrote:
Do puppets and magic go together well?
[/quote]

Like peanut butter and jelly!

Regan
Regan,

I used some thin aluminum armature wire. It's used in clay sculpture to help the clay keep its shape. I don't remember how I attached it. It might have be hot-melt glue. I use that a lot.

Oliver
Thanks again Oliver. I may foll around with this idea someday. I imagine you could find this wire at an arts supply store?

Regan
Try http://www.sculpt.com/
Go to Online Catalog
Clay Tool Index
Armature and wire

You can use this wire for Anderson's Torn and Restored Newspaper too. The steel wire you get at a hardware store could be used as well.

Oliver
Thanks Oliver. You have been a great help.

Regan
Well to put a different twist on this. I have been doing the drawing board when I t first came (still have my old one). The drawing board does kill and yes the 1000.00 is very high . But you know if Steve Axtell makes it , it is going to be TOP of the line.

FOr example, I am thinking of getting it. I want to use it in my school and library shows. Since I use a Showtech for my music I would use the board as an MC. I would go back behind curtain and the board would start talking. Perhaps the board would talk about the lesson that I just taught. Again I think it would be cool to have the board on stage and it be apart of the show the entire time and not just for "a" routine.

Ken
Ken,

That is a great idea!

Regan
Ken,
That's an incredible idea. The possibilities are endless.

I wouldn't consider it as a replacement for the regular Drawing Board, but that opens new possibilities.
But at $1000 I'm not going to steal your idea soon.

Oliver
My family went to Legoland in Southern California.

We saw Kevin Johnson's show there, and it rocked!

He just won "best male theme park performer" at the IAAPA convention.

If you get anywhere near legoland, go and see his show. He's a fantastic vent, and opens with the remote control drawing board. It was great.

(I use the regular drawing board, but the remote feature took it to a whole new level.)
Since reading Ken's post and thinking more about it, I can see where there are many applications for the remote board. Now, if only I had an extra thousand bucks just lying around.

:(

Regan
[quote]
On 2005-01-10 14:01, Mister Mystery wrote:
Since reading Ken's post and thinking more about it, I can see where there are many applications for the remote board. Now, if only I had an extra thousand bucks just lying around.

:(

Regan
[/quote]
Sure you do. Just do more shows, and don't forget to use that Scepter Wand"
If you do get one of those boards, let me know how it is.
Richard.
Yeah, right.

I am working with the wand Richard. I made a nice red velvet bag for it and I love it. Thanks for all your help.

If I get the remote board I will make sure to give you a full review, but I wouldn't hol my breath if I were you. :)

Regan
I think the best feature of the remote magic drawing board is that the remote control is disguised as a functioning "chalk board eraser" You can hold it your hands right in front of everyone and they don't suspect a thing. I don't have one but it looks great. I use the regular one in every show I do for kids and it kills! I love it. Steve's stuff is always wonderful.
Thanks Jimmy....yeah that eraser was one of those "EUREKA!" moments....

Ax
I have both versions of the drawing board and I would definitely recommend upgrading to the remote version. I love to begin with my arm around the back of the board as if it is a manual control and then move away a little later in the routine. It has proved to be such a talking point in the show and a lot of people have commented upon it and requested that I do it when they book me, which is a sure sign that it is earning its keep. The great thing about it is that I can now have a 3 way dialogue between myself, my bird puppet with bird arm illusion and the drawing board on the other side of the stage!!!
Ax,
The regular board is so good, I've been holding out. But I've decided I will be buying the remote board as soon as I have the funds available. It's too good to pass up.

Oliver
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Nov 30, 2006 01:42PM)
I'm very interested in Ken Scott's idea about using the board as an on-stage assistant for my educational show. I'm wondering if Ken has taken this idea to the next step and would appreciate hearing more from him. I just sent Axtell their money for a remote controlled board and am looking forward to working with it.

Some folks have commented about the cost and these are quite valid. Interesting to note Oliver's change of heart on this topic. A suggestion to him is to put his name into Axtell to get on the waiting list...it took them about 5 months to get to me. Once they do they give you about a week to commit so nothing lost if you ask to be added and then either change your mind or it's not good timing financially.

Would appreciate hearing from other folks about this product and it's use.
A good prop pays for itself many times over. I have never regretted shelling out the cash for one of these and even now I feel like I am not using it to its full potential. I won't post a link to my video on here because I think you have already seen it. You will be over the moon with your new board!!!
I won't hesitate getting a Remote Drawing Board from Steve...I have his drwing boards both magic and Special FX and they kill all the time...imagine if it's remote...wow!!!

Will save up for it...and even if it is expensive, the board will actually pay for itself when we start getting more gigs :)
[quote]
On 2004-11-21 22:15, Regan wrote:
I was hoping to modify mine so I could control the eyes with only my thumb.

[/quote]

Regan

I use the thumb only on the eyes. At the same time I keep my hand firmly positioned on the mouth control. It does mean that the motion is somewhat restricted to side (stop) to side (stop) side (stop) etc, but it fits the character I do. He looks at me and then back at the audience several times for effect. I get a lot of mileage out of the eyes and I think they exsist for a little more than just an opening effect or to contribute to the realism of the character. They are really funny. I imagne one would get a much easier eye action if the lever was an up and down and you could keep your finger planted on it, but one may also forget how funny those eyes can be (on their own) if it was that simple.

Just a thought anyway.

Dean
For those of you who have the remote board, how would you assess it with regards to overall quality, responsiveness, functionality and durability? Do the mechanics seem sound for performance or is this something more to worry about? I see the price has gone up a bit as well which I recall Steve cautioning due to increased production costs.

Thanks,
Dan.
I had one of the first ones and I have never had any problems with it. 5 years and nearly 2000 performances later it is still going strong!
Kimmo,

Thanks for the feedback. I enjoyed your performance video.

Dan.
How is this remote board to work with? I am assuming that it is likely thicker than the non-remote board, but is the added size and weight obvious? As you can I guess, I am getting ready to order one.

Thanks!
Dan.
Im getting one hopefully real soon :)
Mine is on its way :)

Thanks to Ms Val Hilliker :)
Got mine already and its certainly a great prop :) Very magical...the kids were shouting like crazy :)

and its something to show to my fellow magicians with the manual board :) :) :)