(Close Window)
Topic: Thumb palm - sponge balls
Hey. I've been doing sponge magic for a while now and have stopped using the thumb palm totally. Anyone I do sponge balls to can see the ball in the spaces between my fingers. I have to turn to a very unnatural positions so as to hide it. Any suggestions?
[quote]
On 2004-11-06 10:49, magical_steve wrote:
Hey. I've been doing sponge magic for a while now and have stopped using the thumb palm totally. Anyone I do sponge balls to can see the ball in the spaces between my fingers. I have to turn to a very unnatural positions so as to hide it. Any suggestions?
[/quote]You've stopped using it?
What a shame..
It is *the best*..
Watch Al Goshman..and he's not the only one getting it to work..

It is IMHO, the only one worth to do..ask Joachim Solberg, who saw it's pretentionals when I did the spongeballs for him....

Anybody can use the thumbpalm -if done correctly- no matter what size or shape ones fingers/hands have/has..

Have a renewed go..you'll not regret it..but note, you have to do it the *right* way..

Get Al Goshmans *Magic by Gosh* video and study his work..that's the best advice anybody can give you.. :)
OK thanks for the tip. I'm also thinking of getting jen jensen professional sponge ball tricks 1 + 2. Are they good? Any other suggestions for books/DVDs?
FINGER PALM FINGER PALM FINGER PALM
Lol I know Pete the finger palm is great but I want to keep my options open. Also for some vansihes I think you must use thumb palm.
[quote]
On 2004-11-06 12:10, Pete Biro wrote:
FINGER PALM FINGER PALM FINGER PALM
[/quote]Hehehe..you know Pete, what Fred Kaps always preached/said and used..in his earlier years..
And what did he use later (not talking about sponges but coins)
Yes..the classic palm..even on stage! :)
Don't tell me I'm wrong.. :)
I have it on tape... :kermit:
Before everyone comes in with the fancy vanishes, I do a simple one that works for me. I show the ball in the right hand, near where the fingers and the palms meet. All I do is appear to dump the ball into my left hand. I reatain the ball in the right with my thumb and second finger and in fact pull back slightly with my other three fingers so that I get a little of a retention of vanish effect. As my left hand "closes" around the ball, my right holds on in a finger palm.
In one of Bruce Elliott's books (they are few but great) look at the Roy Benson vanish of a sponge ball. IT CANNOT BE BEAT.

I have nailed many with this and if you time it right you get a great retention vanish.

If they see things between your fingers... keep your fingers closer together. Use a dark item to vanish. THINK MORE.

PRACTICE MORE.
[quote]
On 2004-11-06 13:43, Pete Biro wrote:
look at the Roy Benson vanish of a sponge ball. IT CANNOT BE BEAT.
[/quote]
Agreed..I use it..it actually not even needs the wand :)
Can be done sitting at the table..exactly the same..just pull back your sleeve instead of reaching for the wand...therafter rest the fingertips of the guilty hand (right)at the edge of the table, and lean your body to the right side (if your righthanded and the guilty one is the right) and open your left AT the right side of your body, right in front of the spec's face sitting to your right..
One of the best vanishes ever..still AG's toss vanish is what I use too..I use both..in the very same routine..

Correction..the handling is NOT exactly the same..whilst in the Roy Benson vanish with the wand the left (receiving) hand is stationary, the left hand actually moves forward when NOT using the wand and the right just slighly moves backwards to pull the sleeve back..the right doesn't leave the sleevegrip, BEFORE the body leans to the right and the left closed hand is almost in front of the spec to the right..so the right has motivation to rest with the fingertips at the edge of the board to support the body leaning to the right..
Try it Pete..you'll be surprised how well it works..
I've done it for over 25 years.. :)
Use bright green balls and practice with a mirror and video your practice from different angles to pick up any flashes. If you are having trouble with say 2" balls use 1.5" till you get better.

For performance you can use orangy type flesh colour balls. Your improved technique and extra conidence with these balls should help. For spectators hands and close up work, I don't think the colour of the balls matters but for platform work you should use bright red or green or something that will show up on the stage background.
Magical_steve
Getting back to the thumb palm question, I just checked my position out when doing it. I clip the ball at the very base of the thumb. The exposed part of the ball is behind the palm and couldn't show between the fingers. Could it be that you're clipping the ball too high?
Have you been burned with the thumb palm recently? Getting caught is a hazzard of the business. It is also the means to correct and grow.

Nick Maggio
I agree that the finger palm is the way to go. I had to adapt quickly when I was honing my technique on the streets - balls stick out too much and the angles have to be covered. If people can see between your fingers, rest your knuckles on your hip, keep the hand in motion, let your hand fall below the table's edge or cast a shadow over your hand.
I would like to add that Werner G. Seitz does a wonderful Benson bowl routine and it is a little different and his time with the load is great and is something that I had never seen before...

Great routine Werner G. Seitz...
One hint about the finger palm. The finger palm works best with the curved, natural hand. That closes the windows between the fingers. BTW, Jules DeBarros had big windows between his fingers...when they were flat. They went away when he curved his fingers naturally.
[quote]
On 2005-01-02 15:47, bishthemagish wrote:
...Great routine Werner G. Seitz...
[/quote]Thanx Glenn, my goal is to cut it down a tiny bit, IMHO it is a few seconds too long, but I haven't yet found out where to remove a sentence...if you come up with something, please let me know :)
[quote]
On 2004-11-06 10:49, magical_steve wrote:
[/quote]
Was just wondering: Do you have thin or bony fingers with wide spaces between them?