(Close Window)
Topic: Frayed ends
I'm relatively new to rope magic. I just went out and bought about 50 feet of rope for an upcoming gig. I want to do professor's nightmare. How to I keep the ends of the ropes from getting frayed after I cut them so I can use them for a while? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Dann
Take the ends of the rope and dip them in white glue. That will cure the problem.
Jim
Hey Jim,
Nice to run into you again. Thanks for the help. I'll do that.
Dann
Or you can tuck the ends inside themself, but that's only if you've removed the 'core'.

ollie
Use sewing thread instead..it takes a little longer to do, but works well.

I always use it starting up with a needle, run it right through the rope approx. one cm from the end and roll it AROUND the rope a couple of times, then again through the center of the rope (using the needle still on) and the make a few knots using the ends of that sewing thread used..

After this, cut the rope with scissors approx.5 mm's wherefrom the sewingthread around the rope is placed...

Will last a lifetime and doesn't make the rope ends looking unnatural or makes them stiff..if you don't use too much strength when rolling the sewingthread around the rope, you neither get any *groove*, but actually it doesn't matter. One can also stick the needle with thread a couple of times through the rope to secure the work..any method almost is possible to use. :)
Check your local fabric store. They have some suff called frayed stop or something.
RS
I usually want some freying to get a natural effect. To prevent excess freying, I usually wrap a piece of tape tightly about 1 inch from the end and trim the excess as it freys out. that way the freying is limited and I keep a nice natural appearance at the end of the rope.
I just wrap some white electricians tape around the end of the ropes
Dip them in elmer's white glue. Smooth off excess. Let dry. Will last for years.
Thanks for the help everyone. I went with the Elmer's glue. Seems to work great.
Dann
I put glue on the ends and then put tap on the ends to make it look good.
Or you can tuck the ends into the center AND glue them as well.