(Close Window)
Topic: Both hands!!!
Do any card manipulators ACTUALLY practice with both hands? I know a magician who produces cards with both hands with his arms stretched out while facing the audience. I mean, I can do split fans and sinlges, among other techniques, with my right hand but not my left. Does anyone concentrate on really doing it with BOTH the left and right hand.
Hmm..I'm not into this type of cardmanipulations, but looking at it from a specs point of view I think it is too much to produce -at the same time- with both hands..
It is just a display of skill..not magic anymore..

The reason?

Where should the poor spec look.??

He has to concentrate on both hands..a very bad habit for a manipulator to *train* their audience too... :) ,
watch Cardini, watch Channing Pollock..watch others..one hand, at a time, but of course one also should produce with the 'other' hand..just NOT at the same time..
Just my thoughts..

I think it breaks the basic rule of establishing misdircetion used during the act of a manipuilator, to train the audience to watch both hand simultaniously..first one hand, then the other and vice versa again..I think that's the way to produce cards..
I learn new moves and practice with both hands. However, I perform complicated moves using my dominant hand.
I believe, Peter Marvey performed split fans using both hands.
I always get in the practice of learning moves with both hands. It is good practice and allows you much more freedom in both your movement and transition effects within a manipulative act.

Is it easy to do? no, but then again nothing great comes about without work and patience. Learn the moves and do them both hands. Then video tape your rehearsals as opposed to watching yourself in a mirror. there is a reason why the video camera is the way to go over mirror.

Kyle
Obviously You'll also have much more flexibility and options in the design of your acts if you can manipulate with both hands.
Exactly. It opens you up to much beytter flow and opportunities in your act and performance if you can use both hands.

Kyle
I agree that you should be able to manipulate with both hands. Not only that, but in my opinion you should be able to do most sleights with both hands, too.

For example, if you're right-handed, it would be natural for you to hold a coin or ball in your left hand, and then (supposedly) pick it up with your right hand to do whatever you're going to do with it. That sort of false transfer requires you to be able to palm with your left hand. And even if you're producing coins in a Miser's Dream routine with your right hand, your left hand still needs to palm coins to complete the effect. And so on.

With some practice, you should find it easy to do basic sleights in either hand. I can certainly classic palm better with my dominant hand, but I can do acceptable finger and thumb palms in either hand, and that ought to take most people pretty far. SETH
Hi Roy:

I don't think learning to do sleights with both hands is very beneficial unless you plan on doing those particular sleights with both hands. Seems like a lot of wasted energy and time to me.

It always seemed to me that time can be spent better by deciding what you want to do and spend practice/rehearsal time refining and refining those sleights, etc.

Perhaps when you're playing around, you can spend time trying things out with both hands, but during designated practice time, I want to practice/rehearse exactly what I'm going to perform.

I've spent thousands of hours practicing and can't begin to backpalm a card with my left hand, for instance.

I hope this helps you; this approach has worked well for me.

Ron
Yes. Both hands for fans & singles.
I agree with you all that using both hands is ideal/great, whatever you want to call it... BUt how many of you all ACTUALLY do it. I did try for a long period but like Mr. Ron Reid points out, I figured it was just a waste and thought it was better to concentrate on using the hands I would perform with.ROY
I actually use both hands -- as the routine I use does not require clips or loads.

I think this allows you to provide more variety and suprises. Also, no special clothing or preparations -- you can perform in a T-Shirt if desired.
Norm Nielsen does card productions with both hands. I found that when you learn to do the productions with your dominate hand. The other hand will be able to also do it with less practice. So first really learn it with one hand 1st, to where it is common place.
For my card manipulations I train my right hand to do split-fans, single card productions, vanishes and the pivot turn. My left hand is trained to do only the perfect card production and that's it.

I do this because I feel that why train both hands to do the samething if your not going to use it. So just train your hands to do a few card manipulations.

Jeff
'wmhegbli' is right. It wasn't too hard for me to learn split fans in my left hand, once I could do it with my right (dominant) hand. I learnt my left hand quicker than it originally took my right hand. I use it in my act so I can vary if I stand on the left and right side of where I drop the cards into. Instead of always being on the right side of the table (from the audiences point of view) I then proceed to walk across the stage then when I'm back I'm on the other side. I think it looks more natural to be using both hands then just one. Just my opinion.

I nice way to learn in the non-dominant hand is to do your everyday activities with your non-dominant hand.

James
James brings up a good method. The only reason why it is hard is because your muscles in your non-dominant hand are not yet used to the moves yet. You must train them like you would with any exercise. This means using them constantly and having the cards in them or the coins or balls.

While watching TV you can be practicing. You do not have to do moves right away. Just have the cards etc. in the hand and allow the hand to get used to the feeling and allow the muscles to adapt.

Being able to use both hands just opens you up to a LOT more creativity and movement potentials in your act. Transition effects become much easier.

Kyle
Maybe practice when your on this site....