(Close Window)
Topic: Huge Shower of Sparks
Does anyone know of a way to create a huge volume of sparks? Enough to say, cover a person completely?

Nick Fox
A billion people standing around with metal and a metal cutter. J/k. I actually don't know.
Mount a box about 4 feet long and maybe six inches tall and deep over the stage where you want to pull off the effect. Inside the box is a motorized spinning metal wheel, with flint like sticks pointed at it so they slide as it spins.

I absolutly do NOT recommend doing this for two reasons.

One is it will make noise, a lot of noise from both the motor and the dragging flints.

Two, the very real possibility of starting a fire, say if someone nearby is weraing too much hair product, or has recently spilled an alcoholic beverage on thier clothes.

As a science teacher I have deliberatly started a fire that way under controlled experimental conditions.

I highly recommend you ditch the sparks and use smoke instead. Then, if you have an assistant or 2, use a couple of toy sparklers for added effect.
What I am afraid of is smoke rvealing "Movement" through the air current created around someone. But thanks for you input...having a science teacher respond is a great asset. I may toy with things...in a safe, non-flammable, environment. But please post if you have any ideas, or if you know a way to creat powerful jets of smoke...that would be great too (and could eliminate some of the indication of movement).

Nick Fox
Professionally designed and operated pyrotechnics is the only way to go to achieve this effect. However, in today's entertainment market, it is nearly impossible for even licensed pyrotechnicians to fire.