(Close Window)
Topic: Maximum Entertainment: beyond Magic and Mentalism?
I have noticed in other posts that people have used principles of this book in reference to other forms of entertainment (eg bands/musicians).

As a potential purchaser I'm interested to know how/if this work is applicable to other types of entertainment...
Just to clarify - I'm talking about 'Maximum Entertainment' by Ken Weber
Iím an active amateur musician that gigs a couple of times a month (I play the drums) and I found a few things in the book that I have already applied to my performances with my band. I found this to be a bonus, I wouldnít recommend the book on those grounds alone.

Its a great book! What are you waiting for? Its only money!
It most definitely is!
Though written from the perspective of a magical/mental magic entertainer it gives ample advise on subjects as how to communicate your persona, the perspective of your audience, how to deal with real world situations and an interesting model of "how to be succesful".

As in Strong Magic(Ortiz), the astute reader will not mindlessly accept and copy everything that is written by mr. Weber, but will have a lot of questions to ask him/herself as a performer. Wether it is a magical performer or not...

I enjoyed this book a lot!
This book is fantastic. It applies to any form of entertainment. It makes you look at yourself in a way that you would have never done before. Really look at yourself. Highly recommended
I am three quarter through Maximum Entertainment and I agree with much of what is said by Ken Weber. This book is definately for those who have no experience in theater. Those that do, it's a great reminder of the principles taught.

It is easy reading. The core princple is to grab the attention of your audience, hold it, make'em laugh and amaze them where the magic in not as important as the emotional feeling of well-bring you have given them.

Thanks Ken for those reminders and insights.
This book is a must have for any entertainer.
I got this book this december and read through it twice in the first 3 days and found this to be one of the most informing books I have ever read. Ken Weber's writing is fantastic (even though he talks like a sailor! BUT HEY! that makes for a better read!) And like DenDowhy, I agree with basically everything Ken says (and a lot if common sense you just never realize!)
He really should write another book with the complete critiques of the acts he did at the PEA meeting...combined with a look at some of the more modern acts.

When reading the book , that's the stuff I wish there was more of...
This was my best book purchase of the year. I go back to it often and re-read chapters. I highly recommend it.
This was my best book purchase of the year. I go back to it often and re-read chapters. I highly recommend it.
This book is worth its weight in gold! No tricks or pipe dreams, it contains the most useful information to become a better performer. This book is just like hydrogen peroxide. It will sting a little at first but its for your own good. You will know what I mean when you read it!
Its jus wat performers need..i mean we have tons of books out there that teaches superb tricks but too little on those that teaches the principles and etc behind a successful performance. we need more of those to start us thinking and improving on our acts

we don have to agree with everything in the book but the fact that reading it stimulates us to question and ponder, makes it money well spent

I would also recommend strong magic by ortiz. its a good book too

cheerios