(Close Window)
Topic: Ball & Vase routines?
I'm interested in learning this. I have seen it performed very well indeed, in a way that's fun and suprising even when you know how it's done, and would be interested to learn more.

Thanks
Marlo in the book Arcade Dreams has a unique routine using the cheap plastic vase(s).
I believe it is also mentioned in a Karrell Fox book. Adding a little sleight-of-hand to it can make it a real stunner even for those young ones who "know how it's done".

I saw one young magician whose name escapes me do it in a lecture/demonstration back at an SAM convention in Milwaukee. He tore open the package took out the gimmick and said, "What's this for?" then threw it away and performed a very good ball vase routine.
When Iget a payrise I maytreat myself to the set / routine at http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/StonesOf/Tutankhamun.html ! Best ofluck learning - Rgds , Bruce
Check Michael Skinner's [i]Intimate Magic[/i] for more.
Mike Gallo's great routine for the ball and vase can be found in Richards Almanac.
A second vote for Skinners routine!
Very helpful - thanks!
Check out Charlie Frye's Eccentricks dvds he has a routine on one of them (There's two)that's great!!!

Best,
Joe
I love the gallo routine. A buddy used to do it saying that the vase looked like a bowling pin, and of course the ball was a bowling ball. After a few vanishes and reappearences, he revealed that he didn't much care for bowling, but really loved baseball. The ball had changed into a Rogers' baseball.
Docc Hilford has a book on themes and routines with the vase. If you are hooked on the vase you should check that out. bob.
Bob... great stuff at the Castle Lecture. See you in Vegas.
Bob, what is that book called? I know he has a booklet on the Ball & TUBE, but didn't know he had one on the ball vase.
I recently purchased the Collectors Workshop/viking ball vase. I to would like good sources for routines. Also, routines specific to CW Ball Vase that utilize the small silk. So far I see Skinner, Hilford, and Gallo that interest me. Any others? I am not familiar with Charlie Frye work/quality.
Charlie Frye uses a ping pong ball vase, and has painted the ball to look like an eye. His routine is on Eccentricks 2 (DVD).
It truly is an EXCELLENT routine.
Further to the reference to Docc Hilford's booklet. Docc says he has "Nothing on the ball vase, but the Imp Bottle routine gets mixed in people minds. They're in The Sign of Four."
You may want to check out the 'Ball, Cone, and Box Routine' in Ed Brown (1996), The Feints and Temps of Harry Riser (Kaufman and Greenberg), pp. 154-165. It combines the ball and cone trick with the use of a Morrison Pill Box (i.e. a very special ball vase).
I use Mike Gallo's routine (I think it's the best ball vase routine) and my patter deals with a 17th century drinking/gambling game played in the pubs of England. The object is to sneak the ball into the vase without your drinking partner catching you in the act. The mahogony ball vase I bought from Jim Riser fits the part perfectly.
I got to thinking though, it might be fun to have a ball vase shaped liked a minature liquor bottle (Manufacturing Rights Reserved by Mitch Schneiter). The ball could be painted green with a small red spot to resemble an olive with the second ball painted red to resemble a cherry. To tell the balls apart in the pocket a small indentation could be drilled into the "olive" where the red pimento would be. The second ball could be red and pass as a cherry. My patter would be basically the same, except that instead of a 17th century game it could now be presented as a current bar game. I think the bottle would be somewhat less suspicious looking than the normal ball vase.
I have since had Mr. Riser custom make me the above bottle vase. He just e-mailed me saying it was finished and is in the mail. You can see pics of it at his website. All I can say is his craftsmanship is fantastic. I can't wait to receive it and start working with it.
[quote]
On 2004-12-03 04:52, cataquet wrote:
Charlie Frye uses a ping pong ball vase, and has painted the ball to look like an eye. His routine is on Eccentricks 2 (DVD).

[/quote]

I wonder if that came out before Ed Solomon's routine, the Eye of Al-Hazred.

Not that it isn't suggested by the great expanse of white in those ping-pong balls.
I like Charlies' method of painting where he can "adjust" the (fake)ball in the vase and people can see the change. He says it can also be painted to look like a small 8-ball with good results.
Charlie Frye does not market the props for his routine. If you want to perform it, you have to alter a pingpong ball vase set. It's fairly easy to do.

Frye's routine requires you to use the gimmick, while the Gallo routine doesn't use it at all. If you look in "Arcade Dreams", you'll find a Marlo routine that uses TWO gimmicks.
The best routine I've seen is Michael skinner's version.
Look at the demo video on penguinmagic.com .
While Blog surfing today, I found a reference to a cute and original Ball and Vase routine. If you have Flash player installed you can view the clip [url=http://www.xs4all.nl/~lrvk/lejo/gogul.html]here[/url]