(Close Window)
Topic: I need egg bag info
I have been digging through tarbell, Malini's stuff in various locations, I don't want to do jeff hobsons routine I know to many people who have copied it, the classic stuff I've been reading is all good but I'm really looking for someone who does a more modern egg bag routine? Any ideas
You must first ask yourself... which came first..the chicken or the egg bag..
Get the egg bag video produced by Stevens Magic Emporium. I use the routine by Martin Lewis, on that video, and I won a magic contest doing just that routine. There are other great routines on the video, too.
I'll second what Alan said. Get the Steven's video. It has great material on it.
If you like to tell a story with your egg bag, try "The Siamese Goose Egg Bag" performance script by Ron Bauer.

http://www.scamcon.org
Stevens Magic is offering "The Egg Bag Book," see http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=4828

I have not seen this book and so can't comment on it, but based on the description, it might be what you're looking for. SETH
I forgot to mention the egg bag I use. It's a Tarbell bag that can be found at http://www.dazzlingmagic.com. It handles extremely well!
I know longer use the bag, I use PBE by Chris Pilsworth
If ypu can find the eggbag dvd from gazzo then buy that. Highly recommended.
I helped Ken Brooke write the Malini handling, but when I saw GAZZO do the bag he BAFFLED ME.
Classic Secrets of Magic by Bruce Elliot....has a routine where you end up pulling 5 or 6 eggs from the bag. I use to do it, it is good, and nobody else does it anymore. You can get the KOBO e-book for around 5 bucks.

There is also a book that came out a few years back....just on magic with eggs. There's a separate section on the eggbag.

Also I believe Ross Bertram in one of his books does an egg bagg routine with a plain good ol' silk.
[quote]On Sep 18, 2017, Stperformer wrote:

Also I believe Ross Bertram in one of his books does an egg bagg routine with a plain good ol' silk. [/quote]

Don't remember a silk being used with Ross Bertram. He does have a very short Egg Bag routine in his 1st book. His idea to make the egg appear at the top of the bag is genius. He uses the Mardo or Tarbell type Egg Bag.

Missed it completely, until Martin Lewis put it in his Mardo Egg Bag DVD. Kind of trick to do with Malini style bags.
Ross Betram's move for making the egg appear at the top of the bag works equally well with a Malini bag....
JNeal, I found it more difficult, to keep the egg from not sliding out and crashing to the floor. I believe it is do to the material. Otherwise, it has to be more controlled as it rises, slowing down the smoothness, for me anyway.
[b]Bazar de Magia Malini Egg Bag with DVD[/b]

There has been some misconceptions concerning the Malini Egg Bag made by Bazar de Magia. So much so, I obtained one myself to see if the claims are true. I could not believe such an established manufacturer of magic props would make a product that was not workable.

Bazar de Magia makes a good quality Malini Egg Bag, that will accomplish the job for most "curious" magicians that want to see and find out if this is a routine and presentation that will fit with them.

I have to admit, I have owned all of egg bags over the years, and handled many having worked in a local magic shop. I had only periodically included an Egg Bag presentation in my shows over the last 50 years 60 years. As a youth and teenager, I was not the excited about the egg bag, and thus only used it for filler.

I now know why I thought that way. It was because, I did not know a good routine, and handling of the bags. There is so much more the putting an egg in a cloth bag and showing it has disappeared, only to reappear by removing it.

It was not until the Malini Egg Bag was put on the market by Charlie Miller, that it looked more interesting. But I still did not purchase it, that is, until the late great trust worthy Ken Brooke of London, England started selling and advertising it. I had dealt with Ken Brooke by mail order for several years, and trusted him completely when he recommended and offered magic effects for sale.

I sent off my check, and he returned it, because he was against copying other creator's work. His letter explained that he would only sell his Ken Brooke and Friends work on the Malini Egg Bag, but the bag would have to purchased from the American dealer Magic Inc., Chicago, Ill. I immediately ordered the Malini Egg Bag from Magic Inc. and set off another check to England for the manuscript.

When receiving Charlie Miller's instruction’s, they were kind of scarce in the handling, just an several page booklet, on the routine. No detail handling for showing the bag, or handling of the spectators. It took me a long time to realize that true magic is in the details for handling of a prop, and the patter to get the most out of any magic effect.

When the manuscript came in the mail, I read it through, and buckled down to absorb the material. Reading and studying it 10 times, with prop in my hands. English words and what mean are very different then what I was used to, being brought up in the Midwest. To be honest, I did not understand the meaning of what was to be said. Ken Brooke even detailed the exact hand movements in handling the bag. Later, I would realize these hand moves were how to show the bag empty and letting the spectator take a close look, and feel the bag themselves. There was a reason for every move and word used during the presentation.

When I started performing it, I had many "Aa Ha" moments, I was so stund to realize and connect the meanings of every word and why it was used an placed in the routine at that moment.

This realization made me become a true believer in the power of the Egg Bag.

Bazar de Magia, offering comes with a DVD. All this for only $25.00 is really a great to see if this prop is something you would be interested in presenting to your audiences.

The bag is not made from the crepe material, but a sort of medium weight lining material, this material has the non-wrinkle feature that crepe material also provides. Very light weight, and opaque.

I have read on the Café, some members want to use a larger egg, Bazar de Magia’s bag has a larger opening for use of even an extra large sizw egg.

I have also read that some purchaser’s say this is a “Left Handed Bag”, this concerned me, and one of the main reasons I wanted to find out for myself.

I would like to inform the uninformed that this Malini Egg Bag is not what would be called, “a left handed bag.” This assumption was most likely made, because they did not get the Ken Brooke and friends manuscript. This feature was most likely provided by Charlie Miller, for those that used his description in his routine. As scanty as it is provided.

One feature missing from the bag this discussion is covering, is the feature, that tells if the performer has the bag in the proper orientation to begin the effect. I personally have never used this feature, because if you follow Ken Brooke’s instruction for the set up of the bag for presentation, the performer would never need to check this feature. If a person believes he would like this feature, a simple single stitch with a knot he can easily feel, would suffice.

I believe the bag was sold as a single item previously, I could be wrong, but I was surprised to see a DVD provided, I do not remember it being mentioned in older advertisements.

The DVD provided is of a personality in magic in South America, he has a routine that takes bits from various sources, and combines them into his presentation of this effect. I can’t say it is superior to or equal to the Ken Brooke instruction, but it would give a starting point to begin an egg bag routine, and how to interact with spectators.

The DVD is dubbed voice over that is very well synchronized to his lip movement and actions. One of the better created voice over DVDs I have seen, so you are not distracted by other sounds, during the learning process.

They also explain how to blow an egg, their version, which is different then the way I learned how to do it, is provided. It is also not the provided method Charlie Miller describes in his instructions. He uses an ear syringe, making it possible to use only one puncture in the egg.

I hope this clears up the misconceptions and wrongly posted comments that have been made on the Café over the years.

I would recommend the Bazar de Magia Malini Egg bag for the curious magicians seeking to try something new. You can’t look at this prop and say if it will be a good trick or not. As it is not the prop, but the way you handle, present, and interact with all the elements involved.

How many times have members on the Café, post for instructions to a prop. They know nothing of what it is, or what it does. Why, because the needed the printed instructions. The instructions are actually worth more then the prop in most cases. Otherwise, it is something to set on a shelf and admire. That is not what magic props are for in my opinion.

$25.00 is a good price in this day and age in magic.

Other Malini Egg Bags sell from $40.00, $85.00, to $100.00 or more. The reason for the price is mainly using expensive cloth materials, along with expert seamstress work. Actually, as mentioned previously, these features have little to do with the entertainment value of the effect. I only heard on magician comedian ever say to an audience, this prop cost me $500 and that is all it does. He gets a laugh, but they said nothing about the price, no applause at all.

Final note: Do you want your bag to bellow open, so insertion of your hand and the spectators are easier, and the egg will not stuck in the folds of the cloth. The secret is to turn the bag inside out, and cut a cardboard insert to fit in the bag while it inside out. This will cause the bag to open or bellow out to facilitate easier handling and production of the egg.

I must be crazy to tell all these secrets for free, this is to good of an effect to just give this information publicly for free.
Bill,
That is a very complete and succinct analysis of the Malini Egg Bag.
The routine is everything!
I've made literally hundreds of Malini Egg Bags; Polyester, Rayon, Silk, Large Small and extra small... and the details matter, but not as much as some are led to believe.
I was privileged to assist Ken Brooke writing the Malini egg bag instructions. I can tell you Ken's work and descriptions may be the best instructions for any routine ever written. I have closed shows with it.
I feel the Hobson egg bag is way above the others. It feels better and works better, the quality of the bag itself is the absolute best.. His tips on performing the egg bag are excellent also
For those who aren't familiar with or who have not seen his routine, here is a clip of Marin Lewis doing the Senor Mardo Egg Bag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiV64HDEN-k#t=6.7773018

And here is a clip of Jay Marshall doing his egg bag routine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNiafQ3fF1E

Please note that both of these fine, seasoned performers are using old-school plaid, Tarbell-Type egg bags. Each performer interjects his own style into the bit. The STYLE and Personality of the performer is what SELLS the bit.

It's the same thing for a Malini-style bag, too. This is a trick about an EGG....not a BAG.....the bag does not matter...

What does matter is ENTERTAINING with it...........My point being....WORRY LESS ABOUT WHAT EGG BAG PROP IS "BEST"..........WORRY MORE ABOUT DEVELOPING A KILLER ROUTINE WITH IT.
Who is worrying about the type of bag? people should be able to ask about the differences of various bags without being scolded.
ThomasR:

I think you are missing my point, because a LOT of Magicians here are concerned with the type of egg bag they choose to use. My point is this: It ain't the bag that counts...it's THE ENTERTAINER.

If that is scolding, well....so be it........it's my 2 cents worth......
But the point of the discussion is egg bag info, I don't think anyone ever said that one egg bag was more or less entertaining than another. I have a Fabric manipulations Malini Bag that I love but I still want to get a Mardo Bag from Martin Lewis same time and a Hobson Bag as well. I don't think any of them are more or less entertaining, but that's not the point of this discussion.

I agree that anyone can entertain or not entertain with any type of egg bag. But that's true for any type of magic routine.

Scolding was a bit harsh of a word for me to use.... I think we actually agree pretty much.
GEEZ People! Scolding is what's missing from our current society!!!! If more people were verbally or textually scolded, everyone would be at peace in the world. All capitals is especially effective in textual scolding as is multiple question marks and exclamation points. CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?????!!!!!

If all of you would just buy my %#?&@!HOBSON EGG BAG, then you wouldn't have all of these confusing questions and scolding conversations.
WHY should YOU buy it???????????????????????????????????.........

#1 - It comes in a number of beautiful colors (black is very hard and sometimes impossible to see on stage)
#2 - It's STUPIDLY EASY to perform. Forget the other bags where you have to really practice to hide the egg. Because of the design, my bag HIDES IT FOR YOU!!!!!!! This is a no-brainer!
#3 - My wife makes EACH AND EVERY BAG herself and is extremely picky about her work. Each bag is hand-checked by ME!
#4 - I have over an hour of FREE video instruction on the STUPIDLY EASY handling of my bag. Over 10,000 performances of EXPERIENCE with MY bag!
#5 - $85 bucks is cheap compared to some of the other STUPID prices on some tricks out there. Even if you're a semi-regular performer, what's $85 bucks? You can spend more than that on a dinner for 2. Any IDIOT can figure this out!

And to those who complain about scolding in forums like these. That's NOTHING compared to the blatant, self-promotion and braggadociousness of some of those who would hijack a thread JUST to promote his or hers products. I HATE THAT!

please visit
www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
Jeff, I love it, couldn't have been put any better...
BRAGGADOCIOUSNESS??? --Hey Jeff! you're beginning to sound like Senator Crandall!!!!! hee hee!
I received my "eggplant" Hobson bag today. Jeff has every right to brag. It is just perfect.
[quote]On Nov 6, 2017, CJRichard wrote:
I received my "eggplant" Hobson bag today. Jeff has every right to brag. It is just perfect. [/quote]

Ahhhhh, ANOTHER satisfied customer!
[quote]On Oct 27, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
BRAGGADOCIOUSNESS??? --Hey Jeff! you're beginning to sound like Senator Crandall!!!!! hee hee! [/quote]

I never got to meet the Senator. He seemed to be my kind-of-magician.
Jeff:

Dick Oslund has A LOT of good Clarke <Senator> Crandall stories!
I just purchased the Senor Mardo Egg Bag and I like it. I just have to get use to the handling of the bag. I am use to the malini egg bag and it is a little different in construction.
I also have a Hobson Egg Bag which is very nice and very easy to handle. Each bag has its own merits which is great.Now I just have to get the eggs for the Mardo Bag and ill be in business.

Allen
Robert Baxt has an interesting routine using a Crown Royal bag and an aspirin bottle instead of an egg. Very creative thinking. The sound of the pill in the bottle adds some subtleties. At end he produces a coke bottle from the bag. Again, very interesting adaptation.
[quote]On Nov 7, 2017, jeffhobson wrote:
[quote]On Oct 27, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
BRAGGADOCIOUSNESS??? --Hey Jeff! you're beginning to sound like Senator Crandall!!!!! hee hee! [/quote]

I never got to meet the Senator. He seemed to be my kind-of-magician. [/quote]

I was very privileged to meet and know the Senator! When I said that about you and the "Sen", I was teasing. You both have your own style, and, I think that you and he are/were great!
Is it the Eggs-Actly eggs to use for the Senor Mardo egg bag or wooden egg?

Allen
[quote]On Nov 28, 2018, mtstic44 wrote:
Is it the Eggs-Actly eggs to use for the Senor Mardo egg bag or wooden egg?

Allen [/quote]

I have no idea why Martin Lewis is suggesting the Tri-Fog eggs for his bag, except to satisfy the magicians that want the egg to feel like a real egg in the hands of the spectator. Some 40 to 70 years ago, they used the wooden eggs, with the gag, "egg from a decoy duck" patter.

Here is an idea: Produce the wooden egg at the end of a "Jo Ann the Duck" routine. Then follow up with the Mardo Egg Bag routine.

The design of the Mardo Egg Bag is because of using the wooden egg, so it is perfectly okay to use, and it will work very well.

It is your choice, just remember, the Eggs-Actly eggs, will and do break if dropped, or not packed properly while in transport to a show, and in some cases, mishandled by the spectator.
Thanks Bill, I was thinking the same thing. It cost too much to drop and I'm not going to keep forking out about 15.00 dollars per egg that might break. I'll go with the wooden egg. Thanks again.

Allen
Yup. mtstic44...I've used a Sterling/Mardo bag with a wooden egg (with the ancient decoy duck line, too, since 1953. (It works just fine.)
I was wanting to ask one last question about the Senor Mardo Egg Bag. I went on ebay and I purchased the bag but the ribbon is on the wrong side of the you know what. The pattern is a little different also. I hope I didn't get a imitation. The instruction booklet came with it but it seems a little smaller than what Martin Lewis has advertised. It looks like a 7 by 9 size bag. The description says 8 by 9, so I don't know. I hate to buy another one if this is a Senor Mardo egg Bag. Any reply from Mr. Oslund or Mr. Hegbli would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Allen
I suggest you email Martin Lewis himself, his wife handles their website, so she may reply also.

www.magikraft.com

Martin's mother made the Egg Bags originally, after she passed, Martin had a company make them, in different colors, as you will see on his website. So it may be that the new company is saving on use of bolts of material they use, or you got a bag from another manufacturer.

If you mean by ribbon, the top opening, it should go all the way around the mouth of the bag. You do realize, that the Mardo Egg Bag is not new, did the listing mention that it was Martin Lewis's Bag. If not maybe you got an original from the 1970's. Did it list used, not that they have to say if it is new or used.

Pengin Magic sells them for $30, that is $15 off the regular retail price. So I hope you saved a few dollars by ordering from an unknown person.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/s/Mardo+Egg+Bag

It hard to answer a question, when you do not reference where/whom you purchased it from on eBay. I buy a lot off eBay, but never magic props. Most all of them just do what is called "drop shipments", so they never see the products they sell or know anything and nothing about them.
Harold Sterling's wife made the first "Sterling" bags, in the early '40s. I have Harold's catalog, in which he credits Senor Charles Mardo with the innovative vanish of the egg, from the outside of the bag. I had seen a poor 'demonstration' of an egg bag, in a movie short. (It was the "standard" egg bag, not Sterling/Mardo, or Miller/Malini.) It was awful.

About 1947, as a teen, I met Mardo, in a magic shop in San Francisco. He was most kind to me. I tell the story in my book, of meeting him again in the old EdMar shop in Norfolk, VA, in 1953. He was in a financial problem. I introduced him to my friend, Earl Edwards, shop owner. We were able to book a lecture with Ring 103, and, a lucrative club date, plus an afternoon of personal coaching. He left for New York with a ticket in his pocket, a new overcoat, cash in his pocket, and, his DIGNITY.

I had seen HIS EGGBAG ROUTINE! I bought one the next day! ($2,50!!!) It was made by Sterling's wife. I used it for YEARS. It was WOOLEN. Finally, after many "repairs", it was ready to retire. At a Ring Meeting "Swap Night",in Seattle, I saw one. It was NEW. It was a JEFF BUSBY bag. (They were selling for $50!) The "magician" wanted $5.00. I nearly tore my underwear, getting out my wallet! I've used it since.

I've tried out a Miller/Malini. I KNEW Charlie Miller. I KNOW Johnny Thompson, I KNOW Jeff Hobson. I KNOW Danny Tong, I KNOW Denny Haney. I KNEW Eric Lewis.They are/were great egg bag performers. The Sterling/Mardo bag fits ME, and my "style". You can see my egg bag on my dvd. I only did 2/3 of the routine on the tape, due to time constraints. The complete routine is in my book.

It sounds like you bought an imitation Sterling/Mardo! I don't know who is making a good Sterling/Mardo, today.

I "inherited" Karrell Fox's two (Busby made) Sterling/Mardo egg bags. I've sold one. I MAY sell the other, as I'm no longer performing.
I thank both you for your input. The bag is red with yellow and black lines in it. It did have a card board insert and a thick plastic bag that it was put in. The instructions was a blue booklet with a bag printed on it. It was copyrighted in 1996. There is a sticker on the plastic bag with magicfact.com on it. The bag has a yellow tint to it to make me believe i
it's been around a little while. I got it for 28.00 on ebay. I wish I had a picture to show you.

Thanks
Allen
In the picture, your bag seems a trifle long, which could cause a minor problem in working,

My Busby (both the one bought at the Seattle swap meet, and, the Karrell Fox Busby, I inherited from Karrell's estate, measure 8" tall x 7" wide.

Hope this is helpful.

O
[quote]On Dec 2, 2018, mtstic44 wrote:
I thank both you for your input. The bag is red with yellow and black lines in it. It did have a card board insert and a thick plastic bag that it was put in. The instructions was a blue booklet with a bag printed on it. It was copyrighted in 1996. There is a sticker on the plastic bag with magicfact.com on it. The bag has a yellow tint to it to make me believe i
it's been around a little while. I got it for 28.00 on ebay. I wish I had a picture to show you.

Thanks
Allen [/quote]

Yes, that looks just like mine, it is 7-5/8" X 9-5/8", you should keep the cardboard in the bag when not use, that will keep it looking new and no wrinkles. Keep it the plastic bag as well, to keep it clean and fresh.

You got a deal, I paid full price.
Does it look like an authentic bag to you Bill?
Yes, it does, I got out my bad and compared mine to your picture. If you got it from China, then it would be a copy, but no matter, if it works then use it. They are very good at making copies of magic tricks from China.
Frank Findley very kindly mentioned my egg bags which don't use eggs, but rattle/no rattle pill bottles for patter about how drugs mess with your perception or how when you drink too much you need aspirin the next day! Thank you Frank! :-) See https://www.robertbaxt.com/no_egg_egg_bag/ for my routine with it.
I put out the paper bag egg bag through Bill Abbott magic. It is called PB&E. Since it was introduced in 2014, it has sold over a 1000 units world wide. It was developed over 4 years in my show and in addition to being a full-time pro for over 30 years, I also have a university degree in product design. The routine I created is solid and the paper bag uses a different method to conceal the egg. I demo the bag when I'm lecturing and there is always a great surprise on the faces of magicians when they hold the bag in their hand and cause the egg to release from its hiding spot. It is designed to make it easy to use. Bill shot footage for the instructional video and there is lots of info included. The main reason I created this version is a brown paper bag is more organic than a cloth bag, with the exception of Robert Baxt's. Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

https://billabbottmagic.com/collections/frontpage/products/pb-e-by-chris-pilsworth
MTSTIC44................Sorry I haven't been back on the Café much, I'm in VA hospital, fighting cancer.
No Mr. Oslund it is ok. Please keep fighting we need you here for wisdom and for your stories. I hope your doing ok under the circumstances. My prayers are with you.

Allen
Thanks Allen!
We are all hoping that you get through this battle and get back to magic.You're one of a kind.
Tricky Ricky
[quote]On Dec 7, 2004, nostrings wrote:
I have been digging through tarbell, Malini's stuff in various locations, I don't want to do jeff hobsons routine I know to many people who have copied it, the classic stuff I've been reading is all good but I'm really looking for someone who does a more modern egg bag routine? Any ideas [/quote]

What kind of routine are you looking for? If it's for children, I may have one that you may like.
Tricky Ricky
[quote]On Apr 18, 2019, TrickyRicky wrote:
We are all hoping that you get through this battle and get back to magic.You're one of a kind.
Tricky Ricky [/quote

Thanks Ricky! I'm not accustomed to hospital beds! After 29 radiation treatments, I get to go home, nest Tuesday, We'll know in a few months, if they did what they are supposed to do.
My routine uses a Sterling/Mardo bag, Mardo taught me his routine in 1951, I updated it a bit and have used it since then. It's ultra simple and plays for all ages. It's in my book.
[quote]On Oct 21, 2017, Rainboguy wrote:
For those who aren't familiar with or who have not seen his routine, here is a clip of Marin Lewis doing the Senor Mardo Egg Bag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiV64HDEN-k#t=6.7773018

[/quote]

B-E-A utiful! For those who don't remember (or never knew), Tannen's used to put a little magic booklet in the back of their catalogs! The Senor Mardo routine was in there and I tried doing it several times. The result was labored and contrived. THIS is a magical fluid piece of work.
I've used Mardo's basic routine since the early '50s. I wrote my own patter for it, and, it PLAYS! Mardo wrote it up in his book, "Routined Magic".
Seems everyone is performing other magicians egg bag routines. It's been quite a while anyone except Jeff Hobson put together a real funny presentation for either adults or kids.
The egg bag has possibilities for some real funny situations for children and as Dick Oslund say's, It's all in the presentation.
For many years, I've used Luis Gavilando's routine which is a funny and entertaining one. About 25 years ago I finally came up with my own routine which is the one I do presently do.
Tricky Ricky
Ricky! It's always better when you are using your own sense of humor, than someone else's!!! My routine fits my personality!

Doc Tarbell's lines and presentation, are a hundred + years old! You'll learn the basic PRINCIIPLES, but, you'll need to add your personality! All you can buy in the magic shop is the PROP!
[quote]On Sep 17, 2017, Pete Biro wrote:
I helped Ken Brooke write the Malini handling, but when I saw GAZZO do the bag he BAFFLED ME. [/quote]

Magic history right here. I love reading Pete's posts still.