(Close Window)
Topic: Yet another question about TTs
I have read that the audience should never see the TT and hence it really doesn't matter what color it is. My problem (hopefully a common one with newbies for TTs) is one of self-confidence. Wearing a TT that doesn't blend in well unnerves me.

I got a Vernet TT but it is much lighter than my actual skin color. I was thinking of dying it somehow, if only to make myself feel less awkward wearing it.

Has anyone found any good dying techniques (assuming anyone else has actually done this)?

As I continue to practice, I'll see if one day I can wear a red TT and still manage to do the tricks!

John
There's not much you can do to dye a TT. But there are some paints that will adhere to them. Krylon makes a spray paint for plastics. If there is a primer coat in that, you could spray the TT with it, and then use various brush-on paints to do the job. Remember that most paints will crack when bent.

Also, your hand is not just one color.
Another disadvantage of paint on a plastic or rubber TT is that (depending on the type of paint and how long it had to dry) the paint could cause your TT to stick to whatever you're holding (silk, dollar, etc.) or worse yet, it might get stuck to your finger when you need to ditch it.

You might experiment with make-up or shoe polish. But again, be careful. You don't want the coloring to come off on your jacket or your silk hankie.

But unless your skin is deeply tanned or brown, I wouldn't worry too much about the color of the TT. (I think Vernet and other manufacturers do make TTs for people of African descent).

A few tips (excuse the pun) on using the TT:

Whenever possible, hold your hands in ways that the TT is being natually and casually shielded by your fingers, silk, piece of paper. (It's important that you practice this a lot, since you really want it to appear natural and casual).

But you and I know that it's unrealistic to ALWAYS have the TT out of the audience's sight. So trick #2 is that when the TT is in view, always have it pointed toward the spec's line of sight. This creates a great illusion. When all they see is the very tip of your thumb or fingers, they can't see any seams (where the TT meets your actual skin) and any color differences can be attributed to lighting and perspective.
Have a look at Salvano's work, there you'll learn how to make it completely invisible. Then you'll be confident enough.
There is a really larged discussion string on this here at the Café. Try a search.
Even though technically you could use the proverbial day glow orange tip, the fact is if you are self-conscious about it the audience is more likely to spot it.

I am thinking that the soft rubber may take coloring better than the hard plastic Vernet. You might also consider using not paint but makeup. Again the hard plastic is not likely candidate for this but rubber may be just what you'd need.

Slowly over time you may come to using the TT guilt free. Remeber you are talking to some magicians here at the Café who remember the days of the pink colored metal TT. That was all there was and TT magic was alive and well. (Probably why we got over the color mismatch sooner than some today).

Good luck
Frank Tougas
Johnrp, it's an understandable dilemma. I guess it depends on how dark your skin is compared to the TT.

There are obviously many dark-skinned magicians. I wonder how they deal with this (Carl Andrews, Gregory Wilson, Michael Vincent to name a few)?

You could always try contacting one of them by e-mail if you can find their websites.
I found this thread regarding the Elite TT which might be a solution to dyeing your TT. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=94658&forum=109&41

Gene
Try [url=http://www.cards4magic.co.uk]here[/url] for TT's in all shapes, sizes and colours:
Johnrp,

If you need a darker tt, try the "In your face" tt from penguinmagic - that is, if you're not opposed to buying from them as many people seem to be.
I have both this and the vernet, and I will still to my vernet because the "in your face" model is much too dark for me. I'd also point out that while it has slightly more detail than a vernet, there is no way they can really justify the cost on those criteria alone.
As to the age old debate on whether a magician should even worry about his TT being seen, I've been wanting to weigh in here:
I'm sorry, but while a good magician may indeed be able to hide his TT well, I think it's the height of magical machismo to crow about it. How natural is it, after all, if your audience never sees your t***b ? If your routine is extended beyond 3 minutes, I'd think that gets a bit suspicious. Why not go for the most realistic TT you can ? It's a tool, not a crutch. The better the tool, well, umm. the better the tool !
So long as the magician doesn't derive any sense of false confidence from a good TT, I say, make 'em as good as they can be.
One other aspect I'm experimenting with - the biggest weakness is probably the nail. I'm trying a little bit of french manicure on one of mine (minus the white) to see how that works out. Looks promising, but I haven't seen it in bright light yet.