(Close Window)
Topic: Professor Cheer's Comedy Rope Trick
I have a show coming up some time in January and I really want to put this in, but I don't have enough money to buy the full routine which includes the special harness. So I was wondering if there was a way I could make my own for very little.
Mac,
There might be, but buying a full routine is often what magic is about. Remember, the creators of magic spend hours, months, and even years coming up with effects, gimmicks, routines, etc. I'd like to have a show like David Copperfields, but I don't have enought money. Well, sometimes we just have to work our way up the ladder! Do another effect, or look for a used version. check magicauction.com or ebay.
good luck!
P.S. Mac, even if there was a way to make your own, we can't reveal it here. The magic Café is not intended for sharing magic secrets. Read the Magic Café Rules. We can't reveal the inner workings of a marketed effect. Once you get 50 posts, you can browse the Banquet Room and toss around some ideas, but you can't forget the purpose or the rules of the Café!
<<<<There might be, but buying a full routine is often what magic is about. Remember, the creators of magic spend hours, months, and even years coming up with effects, gimmicks, routines, etc.>>>>

A good magician buy's a trick and adapts the routine or builds his own routine from scratch to personlize it to himself. there's nothing worse in my book than seeing someone perform a routine word for word, move for move from routine that was with it or book that they got it from.

The routine with a trick is built around the personality of the creator, if you did a show where you used the original routines with all your tricks the audience would see your personality change with each effect as you copied the creators personality. We've all seen it happen down your local magic club the hobbiests changing from Jay Sankey, to Mark Leverage etc as they do different tricks. Over here we even get some who seem to put on a yank accent, because they learned the routine from a video.
Mac,

You can buy the less expensive version of Professor Cheer's Rope Trick. It is only around $15 I believe. I use this version. It is the same effect as the $75 Pro Version, it just doesn't have the harness.

Regan
Sorry guys, I didn't know this was against the rules. I am planning on buying the Pro version later on, but this is just a tempoary solution.
Emazdad,
Well said! Routines should be adapted to fit your show, your personality (unless you don't have one, then stick to the original routine!) and your ideas. I love putting new twists on old classics. However, there's also much to be said for looking at the original context of the original trick or routine. The creator or publisher of a trick might create a routine that they think best suits the trick. It's in our best interest to read the original routine, remembering that the creators chose to bring the trick out in this specific light, and then we can adapt the routine, make changes, etc.
Anyway, it's just something to think about. I inherited several old magic tricks from my uncle. Some cam with instructions, some came without. In some cases, I was able to come up with my own handling and patter, before I ever knew what the original routine was. Anyway, I think originality keeps the creative juices flowing, and makes for a diverse world of magic!
The joy of magic!
The original version came out long ago. The Pro version came out recently.

Regan
I bought Professor Cheers long ago and there was no harness, you simply put it into your back pocket and your suit coat covered it up. Wear a jacket and your in.
Wasn't that harness deal a line in an old Humphrey Bogart movie? "Harness?...we ain't got no harness...we don't need no stinkin harness." Hmmmm - maybe not. :)
Merry Christmas all.

Frank Tougas
Good one Frank.

:)

Regan
I have Professor Cheers and generally close my act with it, ending in a hilarious laugh. I always tell 'em before starting that there's something about Cowboys and rope and I'm about to do a spectacular rope trick,,,if I can just find that dang rope,,,(pull from my sleeve) Oh! There it is!

Always brings a laugh.

Merry Christmas Ya'll!
-SW SAM
A perfect fit for your character Sam. That's what makes good magic.

Regan