(Close Window)
Topic: Rope Through Neck/Body
Hello All,
I do not do any rope magic but I've always enjoyed watching the effect where a magi causes a piece of rope to pass through either the neck or body of the spec or self after the rope has apparently been secured/knotted/looped around the body or neck. Would anyone care to share a method with me? Feel free to PM as revealing secrets isn't "appropriate" in this particular forum. Thank you all!
The Dover reprint of Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Magic is cheap and readily available. It contains many good penetrations.

John
You can also find a version in the Tarbell series.
I use a silk to do the trick that you are describing. If it is the same trick, it can be found in any good book on silks. I have also seen it in several beginning books on magic.
I like using the Tenkai method for this. It's found in Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Magic Volume 1 and Daryl's Foolers Doolers DVD volume 2.

Jimmy
I have used a method found in Magic for Dummies. There is also a method in Mark Wilson's Course.

Keith
Thank you all for your responses! I am beginning some deeper research now and can't wait to see what I find. Again, thank you!
Is the method that Daryl teaches on his videos really practical? It seems that the spectator sees that something is going on (but it is so fast that they can't really see exactly what is going on)...
Daryl's Fooler Doolers vol.2 has two methods for the body and one for the neck.
Juggle, I almost take your question as being rhetorical since you seem to answer it as soon as you asked it. I do think it is practical since the audience doesn't really pick up on anything being done other what seems to be going on --- which is the rope going around the neck. If you tie again in front of your neck there is a knot after the penetration.

Jimmy
Daryl's video set on ropes is all that you will ever need.
Tenkai's rope through neck is my favorite. A normal piece of rope is used and it can be done at any time.
I am going to second the recommendation of Daryl's Rope DVD's -- they are terrific for those who do better watching than reading.

Flimnar
Message: Posted by: TommyTheTremendous (Feb 8, 2005 01:23PM)
I too use the method described in Mark Wilson's book, with a little twist I put in it as well.
I do the rope thru the body and the scarf thru the neck in all my shows. They are real crowd pleasers. I also do the `thru the beads' illusion where a person holds a big bead in his hand and you tie the small rope around his hand. When jerked, the rope comes thru his hand leaving the bead in place inside his hand..

There are many many books out there that explain these tricks.
Greetings,

I end my show with a version of Ropes through the body.
I use 3 spectaters 2 men (at each end of the ropes and a woman in the middle)

I got this routine from a friend, but it is based on the Grandmother's Necklace principle.

PM me for more details.

Magically thine,

Scott Alcalay
Years ago I purchased the Rope thru Neck from Owen. It worked great until I misplaced it. Trying to use regular rope caused a rope burn around my neck. The Owen rope has an outer silky covering which prevented the burn. They also provided a really cool routine, but for the sake of me, I can't remember what it was.

Pax Mentis
Pax, you can over come that by wearing a shirt with a collar--or picking a spec with said type of shirt. Just flip up the collar. I do this as I explain, "If the trick works, this will prevent a rope burn. If it doesn't, a rope burn will be the least of your problems!"
The end of my rope act is "the rope thru the neck" I use the version published in Magic for Dummies, which I believe is Tenkai's version.

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=5247
This is the link, so you can see, that it really is practical and gets good reactions. (The video is in German)

mmG Roland Henning
Scott,

Thanks for the tip. Poe was right, the most obvious is the hardest to fathom.

Pax Mentis
[quote]
On 2005-04-17 09:09, Roland Henning wrote:
The end of my rope act is "the rope thru the neck" I use the version published in Magic for Dummies, which I believe is Tenkai's version.

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=5247
This is the link, so you can see, that it really is practical and gets good reactions. (The video is in German)

mmG Roland Henning
[/quote]

Roland, I really enjoy your style and your stage personality.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
[quote]
On 2004-12-22 18:28, Jimmy Joza wrote:
I like using the Tenkai method for this. It's found in Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Magic Volume 1 and Daryl's Foolers Doolers DVD volume 2.

Jimmy
[/quote]

Same here I do it through their body With a big build up. It really feels like it is going through. Also try doing it through your body and suit coat.
Froggy
Roland

Thanks for that video, even though I couldn't understand the words, you obviously have an entertaining performance. What do you recommend for a newbie to rope? I am considering Tabary routine, and Abbott's Encyclopedia(which is supposed to be republished 3-in-1 volume latter this summer)

John
Kv you read magic 4 dummies? good. I thought I was the only 1. the the practicle encyclopedia of magic. it has all kinds of tricks.
There is also a complete routine together with presentation suggestions in Nelm's "Magic and Showmanship". If you have this book in your library (which I can recommend in any case), you can find something there.