(Close Window)
Topic: Phil Goldstein reprint is coming!!!
Great deal and great news !!!! Did you pay already too much for the series?? Read "Prism
Hermetic Press 2005,
hard cover, 240 p.

Prism will be out of the printer on January 21. We expect to have it in stock on January 28.

While a sizable literature devoted to mentalism was produced in the past hundred years, little has stood the test of time. Among the scant amount that has is that of Max Maven. Writing under the name of Phil Goldstein, Maven has created one of the largest, cleverest and most influential bodies of work in the field, stretching from the latter part of the twentieth century into the twenty-first.

His star rose early, with the publication of five slim collections, each packed with innovative and performance-caliber mentalism. These booklets, which have become widely known as The Color Series, contained items such as Desire, The Spirit is Willing (to Write) and Four-sided Triangle. Maven produced the Color booklets in small quantities and, despite ongoing popular request, refused to reprint them. They have become highly sought after, fetching prices in the hundreds of dollars.

At last, after a quarter of a century, the entire Color Series is again available; all 53 effects, newly illustrated by Ton Onosaka."
The word I hear is that that have been knocking these out at the local copy stores and putting them on Ebay. I first heard about it two years ago or so. Be careful when buying the old ones. ;)
Pewh!!!!
Good News!!
I ALMOST paid several hundred dollars for the Color Series a short while ago.
Believe me, I truly look foreward to Jan 28.

Sven
Any idea of a price?

Bev
Hi, acording to Hermetic press website, it will be priced at 40 dollars. Not bad for such a book.

g.
Price will be around 40$ US dollars, but go to joyalstack.com to get a deal.
This is very cool, though it would still be nice to own the originals and own a piece of magic history.

Anabelle
This is VERY cool, I will definitely try to pick this one up when it comes out.
Well,
I for one am glad. I can now get the series without getting sniped on ebay for a set.

Rick
You can find a good deal on the new book at

http://www.joyalstack.com/Pages/Prism0501.html
Just made my order of Prism from Hermetic Press, this is a must have.

Peo
I'll hopefully *crosses fingers* get around to ordering sometime this week, so Peo, right now, I am envious of you, haha.
[quote]
On 2005-01-05 22:40, MentaThought wrote:
Phil Goldstein - yet another Max Maven wannabe!
[/quote]

very clever.
...lugging Grandma to the Pawn Shop as we speak.....
Prism NEW REPRINT Contents :
Prologue
xi
Epilogue
xvii
The Blue Book
Introduction

Desire

Burnt Offerings

Tephramantic Brainwave

’Tis the Season to be Lying

Pre-duck-tion

Dangerous Game

The Temperamental Guest

Geometric Coin

The Spirit is Willing (to Write)

Elemental

Double Undercurrent

Middle Telepathy

Chaos

The Red Book

Introduction

Four-Sided Triangle

Parallax

Disposable Color

Writer’s Cramp

The Happy Horoscoper

Satan’s Nightmare

Your Choice

Vision Version

Power Drain

Pscrabble

The Green Book

Introduction

Destiny

Combo

Old Math

The Psychic Bartender

Nucleus

Discretion

Predixion

Onstage Bender

Ranch Dowser

The Mind’s Eye Deck

The Yellow Book

Introduction

Windowshopper

Shuffled Impulse

Designation

The Armchair Bowler

Phona

Astro-Key

Quindex

Modern Dart

Resolution

Doubleview

The Violet Book

Introduction

Dowsing for Dollars

Kirigami

One Hand Clapping

Squarot

Rainbow Matrix

Indication

French Active

Psiangle

Racer’s Edge
This is great news for fans of Max's work who don't own the original Color Series, especially given the book's low price ($40!). However, when Max recently lectured in NYC I thought he said, in response to a question, that there were no plans to republish the series. Guess I heard wrong!
DaveS
[quote]
On 2005-01-05 16:12, RIVARDJLR wrote:
Great deal and great news !!!! DID YOU PAY ALREADY TOO MUCH FOR THE SERIES ???? [/quote]

Well, I wouldn't put it that way. There are two factors to consider when discussing the original set of the Color Series.

There's the content, which is excellent and worthy of studying. I can't imagine anyone seriously interested in magic -- and especially in mentalism -- who wouldn't want a copy of the reprint.

And then there's the collectibility factor. There were only so many of these booklets produced. Violet is the most rare of the five. As a collector, I have several versions of many magic books. I collect first editions of "Art of Magic" and "Greater Magic" -- even though I have later versions (which I am not as careful with as I turn pages.)

I have the original hard cover of "STUNNERS!" -- and subsequently purchased a copy of "STUNNERS Plus!" when it became available even though Larry sent to me a copy of the "Plus" stuff. I wanted both versions in my collection.

There are plenty of collectors of Phil Goldstein/Max Maven stuff who will want the original set in their collection. I doubt the prices will drop all that much as a result of the book being released.

I'm considering auctioning off my set on eBay later this evening for a Buy It Now of probably $295 (like many others, I take advantage of a Buy It Now when available to avoid the usual last-minute sniping on items like this.) I think that's fair for a collectible and I imagine at that price it will go pretty quickly, even with me stating very plainly and up front that Hermetic Press is releasing the reprint. But, we'll see.

John LeBlanc
I believe the new hardcover will actually increase the value of the original color series booklets.
Maven has stated more than once that he would not reprint the Color series.

In some way, he is responsible for increasing the desire for the Color series that lead to its underground and Internet selling. His refusal to reprint them basically told magicians that there was no other way to acquire these books.

The near legendary status these books have now achieved is in large part due to the high prices they were obtaining on the underground market. I have no doubt this free publicity will make Prism a record seller.

I guess the lesson to be learned from this is that if the magic community is demanding a book to be reprinted, you should first turn to the underground market. Then again, maybe the author should just indulge his target market sooner and not allow an underground market to develop in the first place.
Interesting point made by Mr LeBlanc- There is the content and there is the physical booklets themselves. By not reprinting the booklets themselves, they remain a collectible entity. By reprinting the contents, the forgers will have lost their market and the original booklets will float to a more realistic level. There is a certain cost-factor to the originals that is due to folks NOT knowing the contents. When this is removed, their trading level will be more realistic.

I would bet by Febuary last, the new book will be sold out, and the old originals will not fetch $150/set. Then...the cost of Prism will rise...and rise...and rise.

And I'll bet that there will be a flurry of last-minute eBayers who have paid much, learned (or copied) the contents, and who have intended to resell the originals to recoup their investment. Not collectors, just buyers/sellers, sort of like the trade in the Body Magic book or Al Mann's stuff. I would assume there will be gnashing of teeth in the hallowed halls of magicdom from this.

...got a good price at the Pawn shop for Granny, so the book will be on its way to me...

Pierre- How does one "not allow an underground market to develop in the first case."? And how many exist for how many products? Just curious.
Tom - I was just trying to point out that if Max Maven wanted to stop the illegal pirating of his work, one option would have been to release a reprint much sooner. This would have ensured he received the profits for his work all these years and not the underground market. By underground market I am mostly referring to those who would sell unauthorized copies of the Color books over the internet.
On 2005-01-06 11:15, John W. LeBlanc wrote:
[quote]
There are plenty of collectors of Phil Goldstein/Max Maven stuff who will want the original set in their collection. I doubt the prices will drop all that much as a result of the book being released.

I'm considering auctioning off my set on eBay later this evening for a Buy It Now of probably $295 (like many others, I take advantage of a Buy It Now when available to avoid the usual last-minute sniping on items like this.) I think that's fair for a collectible and I imagine at that price it will go pretty quickly, even with me stating very plainly and up front that Hermetic Press is releasing the reprint. But, we'll see.
[/quote]
Hi John,
I'm surprised to learn that you're considering selling your set for only $295 considering you wrote here, not so long ago after a set had sold on e-Bay for $1,100, that "you'd need a hell of a lot more than $1,100 to get my set from me." Looks like the impending publication of the reprint is already affecting the collectors market for the original! ;)

As the owner of an original signed set that I bought piece meal from Max as each booklet was published in the 1970's, I'm following this with some interest.
Best regards,
DaveS
[quote]

I'm surprised to learn that you're considering selling your set for only $295 considering you wrote here, not so long ago after a set had sold on e-Bay for $1,100, that "you'd need a hell of a lot more than $1,100 to get my set from me." Looks like the impending publication of the reprint is already affecting the collectors market for the original! ;)
[/quote]

No need to be surprised. I have my set not as a collectible, but as the source of a set of useful tricks I actually use. While I realize not everyone agrees with my point of view, if I use a trick I believe I need to own the publication from which the trick came. Since I value and use the tricks, I had no intentions of selling the the booklets.

But, since the series is being officially released in another form, I see no need to hold onto the set. If I kept it as a collectible, that would be a different story.

John LeBlanc
I am glad to see this available. I have long been interested in this series, but unwilling to part with several hundred dollars for its collectibility. I agree with John, if you are going to perform it you should own it. The new publication puts this in reach.

Bruce
The Magic Apple in Studio City is taking pre-orders for this book $40 each plus tax with FREE SHIPPING give them a call for more details 818-508-9921. The books will be shipped about around 2/7/05.
This is going to be a great book and soon a hard-to-find item!!
I already ordered mine from http://www.joyalstack.com .Pre- order price is $36.50 us until January 27 . Great deal.
Speaking of Phil Goldstein...have you guys heard of this trick:
New and Improved Phil Trick!

A spectator merely thinks of a card and the magician names it! Surprised? Now the kicker! - the magician thinks of a card and the spectator names it!

- Self Working, no sleight of hand!
- No Svengali!
- No Rough and Smooth
By Phil Goldstein and Peter Duffy!

It is Brand New!!!
I believe the first edition copies of Prism will soar in value and become collectible.
I will say it again, now there is even more of a collectible value to the original series.

I also believe this book is way under priced unfortunately. A price of $75.00 to $95.00 would have been acceptable and kept it a bit underground.

I only hope it is a sellout and a second edition doesn't come out, that would be nice.
Pierre-

Ah. You are correct. Shoulda been done years ago. Curious tightrope to tread...deciding how to keep them published but sort of private, or having them ripped off, or reprint and popularize them. I am sure part of the cachet has been the cost themselves (sort of like Ricky Jay's poster and book).

Mr Maven's latest lecture notes, such as the one done for Mindvention now has prietary stamps, and secret markngs, (or something or other) to keep them from being duped and then foisted on ebayers...

It has been said that the surest way to hide something is to publish it. Instant obscurity and yesterday's news. Makes sense, sometimes.
It sounds like the color series has been around for awhile, but hard to get. Can someone post a review? A detailed effect by effect review would be much appreciated (although I realize that, with 53 effects, such a review is unlikely). How does this compare to Theatre of the Mind or Stunners?

Thanks,

Elliott
[quote]
On 2005-01-08 21:34, ElliottB wrote:
It sounds like the color series has been around for awhile, but hard to get. Can someone post a review? A detailed effect by effect review would be much appreciated (although I realize that, with 53 effects, such a review is unlikely). How does this compare to Theatre of the Mind or Stunners?[/quote]

You can use the search function of The Magic Café to search for the phrase "color series" and get over 70 hits, many of which will answer your question.

John LeBlanc
[quote]
On 2005-01-06 21:41, Canadian Guy wrote:

A spectator merely thinks of a card and the magician names it! Surprised? Now the kicker! - the magician thinks of a card and the spectator names it!

- No Svengali!
- No Rough and Smooth

It is Brand New!!!
[/quote]

I'm interested! Where can I find it? What is the name of the effect? How much?
Not to be a curmudgeon, but can someone inform the rest of us dimwits who don't know Mr. Maven's entire body of work -- what some of these effects are: such as describe one or two like this: "you take a coin and the mentalist knows..." That way we'll have some idea what we're spending money on. I never did understand the pack mentality of "Oh, guess what's being reprinted!!! I have to buy it!"

Sincerely, Fib
This is going to be a chance to get some true classics at a very cheap price
Cheers
TJ
I put together a show straight out of the Red, Blue, and Green books of mentalism many years ago and used it at college shows. I've never seen the Violet book. It is difficult to say what is in them as it is an assortment. In addition, the presentational approaches are there. The four-sided triangle is a classic plot. No fantasy here or stuff he invented to just sell to magicians...this is stuff he used at the time (I have no idea if he still uses this material, it was a loooong time ago).

No special props, just very practical, entertaining mentalism.
[quote]
On 2005-01-06 20:47, RIVARDJLR wrote:
I already ordered mine from http://www.joyalstack.com .Pre- order price is $36.50 US until January 27 . Great deal.
[/quote]
$8.50 shipping from Canada pretty much cancels out any discounts though... I can pay full price from the publisher and only pay something like a dollar more, and get it in half the time it takes to get through Canadian Post.
Fib,

You have to keep in mind that most of the people here have never seen any of the color books so they can't tell you what is in them. Everyone else is just so used to not telling what is in them to keep the prices up. Okay, that's the cynical answer.

Look, they're great books, somthings you're just going to have to take at on the word of others. If you go back to this first page of listings, one of us posted the table of contents.

Lastly, if you want to find something out, it is often best to ask politely. Check out the table of contents and if you want to know something ask nicely. Someone will more than likely be happy to help.

Good luck.

Mark
And suddenly a lot of color books can be found on ebay....
Magixx
Go figure ...lol
Hey Ricky, How's it going?

Mark
[quote]
On 2005-01-08 21:58, John W. LeBlanc wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-01-08 21:34, ElliottB wrote:
It sounds like the color series has been around for awhile, but hard to get. Can someone post a review? A detailed effect by effect review would be much appreciated (although I realize that, with 53 effects, such a review is unlikely). How does this compare to Theatre of the Mind or Stunners?[/quote]

You can use the search function of The Magic Café to search for the phrase "color series" and get over 70 hits, many of which will answer your question.

John LeBlanc

[/quote]

Gee. Thanks for letting me know about the existence of a search engine. Seriously . . . of course I did a search. What I got, was a lot of people discussing whether it was worth the money being charged on ebay. People gave brief statements for and against the books. Some people said they liked the way Maven thinks and some people said they got two or three (out of 53?) effects out of the pamphlets. I went a few pages into the search and didn’t see any detailed reviews of the series. If there are actual detailed reviews posted on these boards then please feel free to post a link.

Thanks,

Elliott
I don't think you need to worry about how good the effects are knowing Maven's reputation and the fact that there are 53 of them. I'm sure there's something for everyone. As for comparing books, I don't think it should happen. I strongly recommend Stunners Plus. High quality material in there.
You've convinced me. I'll place my order now.

Thanks,

Elliott
Is any of the material going to be updated for the books. Since their original publication there have been lots of versions. This was the approach with the Paul Harris books will. Prism be the same?
My understanding is that the book will not be annontated. Just the material from the color books as originally published.
Jeff,

You are right, there are no annotations. However the text was re-edited (errors were corrected) and all the illustrations redone.

Martin
… sharing the magic!
http://www.joyalstack.com/
And the font enlarged?
[quote]
On 2005-01-09 22:43, ElliottB wrote:
If there are actual detailed reviews posted on these boards then please feel free to post a link.[/quote]

Feel free to work your way through [i]all[/i] of the search results. Or not.

John LeBlanc
[quote]
On 2005-01-10 14:43, corpmagi wrote:
And the font enlarged?
[/quote]

Lol. I hope so.
I placed my order for prism.how many times did I get outbid for a complete set of c
colour books on ebay?even when I bid up to £200.00 british pounds.now it seems everone is selling their sets and some are going cheap and some aren't even selling.the set that was signed only made 200 us dollars that's just over £100.00 british pounds how times have changed.people paid the high pices to become an elite with the information I think.rather than the collective nature of the books.the evidence speaks for its self.
As I said before: if you want the tricks, you only need the new book. If you want to own a piece of magic history, you need the old famous books.

Magixx
[quote]
On 2005-01-08 22:01, daffydoug wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-01-06 21:41, Canadian Guy wrote:

- No Svengali!
- No Rough and Smooth

It is Brand New!!!
[/quote]

I'm interested! Where can I find it? What is the name of the effect? How much?
[/quote]

I met Max last weekend and he said that You can also use the Blank Phil Deck for this new version/principle...
Does anyone know if there are going to be updated routines..
Goldstein offered some classic stuff. I'm glad to see he's still regarded so highly. Favourite PG routine anyone?

CarlD
We just heard from Hermetic Press that the completion of [b][i]Prism[/b][/i] will be delayed one week. [b][i]Prism[/b][/i] will be on our shelves on [b]February 4[/b] instead of January 28.

Martin
… sharing the magic!
As far as I'm aware the routines are not updated but the illustrations have been revamped correct me if I'm wrong
Good news! [b][i]Prism[/b][/i] is now available.

Martin
… sharing the magic!