(Close Window)
Topic: Old World Cups and Balls
Does anyone have the Collector's Workshop 'Old World Cups and Balls"? I see they are also available from Stevens Magic in a different finish. I am curious how they are working out for you. What's the largest load? How are they compared to Johnson's Cups? I am hoping that someone like Bill Palmer or Pete Biro has seen these and can give a good analysis. But I am willing to take opinions from anyone. ;)
I don't have the pewter ones. The ones I have are the silver engraved ones. They are very nice cups, about the size of the Johnson Cups. They will not take a tennis ball as a final load. I don't know the dimensions on the inside of the pewter cups, though.
Can't help you. If you like the way they look, get 'em.
I think I will get them. Thanks guys.
Let me recommend something. Give Joe Stevens a call and ask him how soft the pewter is. Pewter is a very odd metal to make a cup from. It can be very flexible and it can be very brittle, depending on the alloy.
That's a great idea. Thanks Bill. I hadn't thought of that...
I have a set of the pewter cups. Bill is right about the flexibility, while they feel rigid enough, they do ding very easily. For the money they are a very nice looking set of cups and workable, just be very careful with them.
Arrrr!!! Shiver me timbers, Pirate Pete... what's with yer avatarrrr!!!
I'm not saying pewter is good or bad. Some pewter is as pretty as silver. But this flexibility thing is a real issue. I had a pewter tankard with a glass bottom. It got bent slightly while it was packed in some luggage. That bend put a permanent leak in the bottom.

I learned not to buy glass-bottomed pewter tankards!
[quote]
On 2005-01-07 04:36, Bill Palmer wrote:

I learned not to buy glass-bottomed pewter tankards!
[/quote]

Or maybe not to pack them in luggage.
I carried this one at the Renaissance Festival. You learn that these things are too delicate to carry at those things -- too many chances for damage.