(Close Window)
Topic: In The Fingers Card Spin
Hello,

I've seen several magician holding the deck in one hand & another in the other hand (face down). The magician then continues with his patter but spins the card between the tips of his middle finger and thumb. The card almost appears to be on some sort of bearing. Does anyone know of what I am speaking of & if so can someone tell me the name of the flourish?

-Thanks
I'm not positive of the name, but I think I know what you're talking about. The card is not resting on anything. It is just spinning on the tip of your finger. It does take some practice, but it shouldn't be long before you have this. It's your index finger that makes contact with the bottom of the card (while your middle finger is centered on the card) and it pulls toward you while your thumb comes up and off the card slightly, alowing it to spin for a short period of time. Also, while your index finger pulls toward you, your middle finger should move slightly forward, with the card still balanced. I know I don't explain things very well, but hopefully someone can tell you the title of a book it's described in or a video. Good luck!

Daniel
San Diego user? Ask Syd Segal it should be the whirlwind flourish.
Back-BrKR, the name of the sleight is called the [i]Pirrouette[/i]. (spelling)

Michael Bradbury
I love this little move. It serves no real purpose, but it's a blast to look at. I'm not the greatest at it, but I think I'm getting the knack. I think it's just a matter of doing it over and over.
Yes it a nice little flourish. It also is a nice bit of misdirection, everyone looks when ya do it.
[quote]
...I'm getting the knack.
[/quote]

How long have you been doing it to finally say you have the knack? I ask because I just started doing it today :). I found short instructions on the Stealing Pips DVD. When Oz explains Impossible Transpo he briefly covers the pirouette spin. It is not the detailed of instructions but it gives you an idea.
What is oz?
Thirston,

Oz Pearlman is a magician.

http://www.ozpearlman.com/
[quote]
On 2005-01-06 18:31, Back-BrKR wrote:
[quote]
...I'm getting the knack.
[/quote]

How long have you been doing it to finally say you have the knack? I ask because I just started doing it today :). I found short instructions on the Stealing Pips DVD. When Oz explains Impossible Transpo he briefly covers the pirouette spin. It is not the detailed of instructions but it gives you an idea.

[/quote]

Hmmm... I'd say about a year. Wow... that's embarassing!
The best use I've seen for this move is a trick that I think is called "Inertia". I also forget who's trick it is (Any one know please share). In this trick the pips on the card move to the outer edge after it's spun on the table. This move allows you to do it in your hand. Steve Fearson also used the move for a standing card trick (card stand up by itself). The move was done as a subtle way to show that it's normal and nothing is attached to it.

The move takes a lot of practice but does look neat when it's perfected.

Want to cheat? :)
Put a dab of super glue gel in the center of the card and let it dry. It'll harden and act like a little pin. It'll spin on your finger like a top for a long time. It's better to master it without this cheat but it'll make it easier. If you can do it without cheating then you'll be able to do it with any card and you won't have anything to hide.

Ron Jaxon
I started doing the spin (Pirouette) yesterday and yesterday while dirving home I figured out some key points. I know I should not be driving & practicing, but hey I was in traffic. Anyways I figured it is best to balance the card on the middle finger then place the thumb & index in the correct spot to start the spin. After figuring this out I was able to spin the card pretty well. Now I just need to be able to pick up a card spin it without having to take my time :)
[quote]
On 2005-01-07 05:49, Muddy wrote:
Thirston,

Oz Pearlman is a magician.

http://www.ozpearlman.com/
[/quote]

This is great. he is very good and he is the person not the asian man at penguin.
I've got Oz's first DVD and if the second is anything to go by it will be good.
Personally, when watching other magicians I'm a sucker for card flourishes, probably because I can't really do many, but I am practising. Maybe Oz will come over for the Blackpool convention as penguin had a dealers stand last year and I can get a private showing ;)

Dizzy
Anyone tell me where I can learn this (books, website) it sounds great!
You have to try the pirouette change then;) I don't know if it excists but it would be cool.. a card turning around the tiops of your finger changes into another card hehe ne ideas sum1:O
Since this thread has been brought up, I'd like to ask a question for those who can do this spin:

Almost in all sources that it's taught, it's taught by having it spinn on your *middle* finger. I'm not sure if this is strange, but I in personal, spin the card on my index finger. Does anyone else spin it on their index finger or is it just me?

Michael
I spin it on my middle finger, and have only ever seen it one this way before. but as long as it works.

ollie
Hey there is a pirouette change right:O
[quote]
On 2005-01-09 08:47, MichielTummers wrote:
You have to try the pirouette change then;) I don't know if it excists but it would be cool.. a card turning around the tiops of your finger changes into another card hehe ne ideas sum1:O
[/quote]

When I first started a few days ago I spun the card on my index finger without realizing it. When I noticed it I did correct it and found myself spinning it much longer. I found (with my hands) if I place the long side of the card parallel to my palm the card clears my palm & spins longer. I would recommend getting the finger placement down then do the move without paying attention to it. When I started this a few days ago I spun off the index & did not look at my hands while doing it. In no time I got used to the card and figured out how to place the card & then began to spin off the middle finger. This was done under a 24 hrs period. I am able to do the Pirouette without looking & get a good spin off of it. The key thing is balance & card placement (it all depends on the hands & best placement for you).
Any1 wanting to learn by video should look on ebay..
tyler corbin's fists of fury cd has loads of manipulations + sum tricks and the spinning card that you have all been talking about..if you find it ebay there is a demo video you can watch before you buy...very cheap for wot effects and manipulations you get..have fun hope its wot ya lookin for..

matt

Ok sorry ppl its called tyler corbins fists ov flourish 1&2.

matt
If you have about $80 (what I paid @2years ago), you could get Gerald P. Cestkowski's "Encyclopedia of Playng Card Flourishes". Magic is intentionally left out, but it has the discussed sleight plus any other sleight I could imagine. If you want to look like a pasteboard god, let me suggest this book. By the way this book does not have many manipulations I would consider easy. It is however easily my favorite book.
Ah, man. I cannot believe this, when I started this post I did'nt know the name of the flourish. I didn't even bother looking in my books, I have Card College (Entire Set) & The Encyclopedia Of Playing Card Flourishes. Card College Vol. 4 (Page 1022) contains the Pirouette instructions. Jerry's books contains this info in the Throwing & Juggling section.

Thanks for the tip ForeverRiel, I'll dive into Jerry's book to check out his instructions on the flourish.

:)
Daniel Santos, I to wanted to learn this and tried (unsuccessfully) to do it. But I used your tips and I'm now starting to get the hang of it. Thanks for your post.
It just takes loads of practice I practiced while watching TV and got it in about 4 days.
I started this move but practising to balance one card on my middle finger and moving my hand around and not dropping the card. this way I managed to find the centre of gravity of the card.

after that I realiesd that if I pull back too fast or hard with my index finger, the card spins but falls away after some time. after which I decided to jus brush it lightly and the card spins fast and stays on my finger.

its a nice flourish and I simply love it :)

cheerios
[quote]This is great. he is very good and he is the person not the asian man at penguin.[/quote]

asian men aren't people? just kiddin...
That's not nice :P
It has been called many things including Pirouette Flourish but as far as I know it was originally published under the title "Whirl Flourish" in Jon Racherbaumer's Card Finesse Volume 2 (first item in the book). He credits older French magicians for originally performing this as well as Rocco for doing the move with glue (or tac) on his finger.

S.Segal
Anyone have a link to see this move?
You can see the "Whirl Flourish" in this trailer... It is during the effect with the Ace of Clubs.

http://www.dananddave.com/trailers/gcm_trailer.html

S.Segal
Thank you. I have seen that effect, but I never could get it down. Seeing it makes me want to try for it agian. Thanks again!
[quote]
On 2005-01-09 20:04, Back-BrKR wrote:
Ah, man. I cannot believe this, when I started this post I did'nt know the name of the flourish. I didn't even bother looking in my books,
[/quote]
Been there, done that. Not to feel bad though, you did the right thing by asking the right people here on the Café.
Thanks guys! I saw it done on the gaft card dvd and wondered if it was a gimmicked flourish (sorry, ssegal). Now I can do it.
I just got on this forum today. I have to say that I have been struggling for some time to figure out this flourish. It was the first thing I searched on the forum (pirrouette), and I can do it now! The key points of balancing it on the middle finger, and using a very light stroke/brush of the index finger were the keys to getting it to spin rapidly and long for me. Thank you thank you thanks to all of you.
Also for anyone looking for a video demo of it, a nice one can be found by looking at the Tyler Corbin video demo for his Fists of Flourish CD were he spins them nicely in both hands.
I have just recently started trying this move & it is NOT easy to get consistency! I get really good spins sometimes and other times it completely farts out on me :( Thanks for all the pointers on this thread, at first I was trying with no thumb involvement -- big mistake! (that wasted a half hour of my life). For me it started to get better when I realized it is kind of similar to throwing a card (but not letting it go)

I don't know if it is technically correct but at least now I am getting SOME nice spins. This is one of those moves I think it is better to try for 15 minutes to a half hour at a time and then move onto something else... Give it some time to let your subconscious catch up in between practice sessions.

Of course, its different strokes for different folks, just my 2 cents.
Its hard to get a good spin everytime. I have found that tilting the card at an angle gets a consistency for better spins.
Paul Harris does this nicely. I've not been able to get it down.
[quote]
On 2005-01-09 19:17, wild_card_matt wrote:
Any1 wanting to learn by video should look on ebay..
tyler corbin's fists of fury cd has loads of manipulations + sum tricks and the spinning card that you have all been talking about..if you find it ebay there is a demo video you can watch before you buy...very cheap for wot effects and manipulations you get..have fun hope its wot ya lookin for..

matt
[/quote]
You can go right to his site at http://www.corbinmagic.com and check out his videos. Most effects he throws in some flourishes, I particularly like the royal assembly.

Some I have seen look like the fingers are touching the card on top and bottom. Is it true or is it just resting on the bottom??
That's the way I do it. It balances on the middle finger.

I use my thumb and index finger to pull the card inwards while at the same time push my middle finger outwards. All this is done with a light touch.
I know this is an old post - but no-one here has mentioned the fact that it's dependent on the "feel" - it won't work if you have dry skin. I have dry skin. To get round this, I lick my middle finger, and wipe it...not during the effect, but before I ever pick up the deck. I lick the middle finger, point to the deck (forefinger) then pick it up. Talking to mis-direct.
Hope this helps.
I have never been able to do this until I watched a great tutorial about it on 52 Cards. Some things are simply better on video, and this is definitely one of them.
I have dry skin too and this helped me a lot. Thank you for the advice.

[url=https://www.minimilitia.mobi/]Mini Militia[/url] [url=https://www.applock.ooo/]App Lock[/url]
For those with dry skin issues you may want to adopt Harry Lorayne’s suggestion in having a damp towel nearby to moisten the tips of your fingers. This idea has been useful and helps with card handling. It is somewhat better hygiene than licking your fingers, especially in performing for others.
The Pirouette is a card flourish that is very popular in cardistry circles.

Your best bet is to check cardistry channels for tutorials that teach it, such as the following:

● [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsdRkzNHDNU]lotusinhand[/url]
● [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH0Kpv55NH0]Fontaine Cards[/url]
● [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiasGGZiPik]Milson Productions[/url]
● [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDbxF6ONp5I]School of Cardistry[/url]

More video tutorials for elementary card flourishes suited to beginners can be found here: [url=https://playingcarddecks.com/blogs/all-in/top-moves-and-flourishes-that-beginners-in-cardistry-should-learn]Video tutorials for beginners in cardistry[/url]