The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » MC stuff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Howdy all,

Perhaps you can help me. I'm looking for suggestions re: ideas/material or resources with material for mc'ing.

Although this is the comedy section, the ideas or resources do not need to be comedy. I wasn't sure where else to post this.

Some ideas that I have include:
1. As an MC I thought I should have a "big opener".... run off stage and return w/a big opener (bottle) made of cardboard

2. Some audience participation effects
(hand clapping, repeat after me "chanting" ideas)

3. Jokes (magical or not)

4. Funny introductions (there were some listed in the Linking Ring, Sept. '97)

Anyone have others to add???

thanks,

john
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Check out the late Karrell Fox's book, Another Book (most major magic dealers should have it).
He has a whole section on MC work and introduction material: the big opener, the road map, the newspaper headline, etc.
The secret to being a good MC is to move the show along smoothly and quickly, without appearing to even be there.
In other words, it's a critical but thankless job!
The important thing is to remember that you aren't there to present a show of your own (some MCs go on forever, hogging the time and stage).
It's a bit like being Bud Abbott in the comedy team of Abbott and Costello.
Like a good MC, a good straight man is a pearl beyond price!
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
I agree with you 100%, Peter. The role of the MC is to keep the show going. But I also think an MC can set the tone of the evening by sharing some short/quick bits between acts or when time is needed for set up.

I too, like many others, have also seen a show drag on and on because the MC made his job into a major performance between acts.

Thanks for the suggestions.

cheers,

j.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
A good MC will know the program and bring the separate parts together. An MC with the gift of segway provides punctuation for the previous act, that is the beginning paragraph of the next.

And as Friend Peter so rightly said, the MC can not try to "Star", he must shine only in the reflection of the Stars of the program. It takes a special kind of ego to do that well!

I saw Duane Laflin MC a program recently, and was a model of professionalism, he was entertaining in the time between Stars, provided interesting transitions and introductions, but never tried to steal the show. All this in spite of the fact that he could have starred as easily as any of the others at that show. It takes a special person to MC and do it well.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
If you ever get the chance to go to a decent juggling convention, do so and visit the renegade stage. The MCs there are usually great as they have to deal with some of the heaviest heckles known to mankind. Great stuff - it's sink or swim.

ML
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
The Terry Seabrooke book "Beyond Compere" is great for being an Emcee's reference book.
ludmer
View Profile
New user
Brazil
59 Posts

Profile of ludmer
I think Sleight of Mouth by Harry Allen is a greeeaaat book for emcees. The book is filled with great conversation starters, introductions, ice melters, retorts, wise-cracks, insults, puns, etc. Another thing you might wanna try, but it´s not at all related to magic is watching the musical "Cabaret". Grab some ideas... Smile
I trust jewish magicians and bagels
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Two of the best MC bits I have used for a long time are as follows :

1.) Bring up a pack of folded up and taped together index cards, about 10 or so. Let them drop as you say "I just have a few announcements before we start the show".

"Would the person who owns red subaru with PA state license number yiu7876kuh767877r4ff5633iot, please move your car. The license plate is blocking the parking lot."

2.) Do a quick routine with a volunteer. Before the volunteer comes up tell them that if they help they will recieve a prize of a 200 piece breakfast setting.

When you are done with the effect bring out a mini Frosted Flakes box, throw it to the ground, stomp on it a few times while saying "And here is your two hundred piece breakfast setting, but what the heck, lets make it 400 pieces."

S. Patrick
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I saw Aldo Columbini do a funny mc bit. He said he was going to do a trick as the rest of the show wasn't ready yet.
He pulled out a long piece of rope and said "most magicians cut a rope in half (he does)
but I cut it again into 4 (folds and cuts)
then I cut it again into..a bunch more (fold and cuts..now has 8 pieces)
and now for the magic!..(looks off stage ) Oh you are ready now..forget it (and tosses rope pieces into audience and walks off)
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Clippo works good as a running gag for an MC.

Make up your own clippo prop, it's easy.

I make them from adding machine paper rolls.

If you want writing on them compose them in Word or some other word processor. Page size 11" x 17". Set up three columns of 2.5" width with 0.5" spacing and type away.

Print them off and you will have three clippo strips 2.5" wide by 17" long. Of course you can customize the size to your needs and don't forget cut and paste. It makes it a lot easier.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I just got back from the Kidabra Conference 2003 and purchased Steve Kissell's How to be a Great MC. It has numerous chapters from great MC and they offer tips, and techniques as well as great MC bits.

It is a great book and adds to one's marketability.
Dennis Michael
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
How to MC and Put a Show On by Jay Marshall is worth its weight in gold.

IMHO the best all time magic MC was the late Mike Caldwell.

Keep the show moving. Do not do an act between each act.

Learn how to bring the acts back for a bow, you can help them get a longer applause and even a standing ovation (if deserved) if you know how.

Don't step on their closing, learn how to wait JUST LONG ENOUGH before you come onstage.

Have energy. Jump up and down backstage just before you come on.

smile.

Have fun, it is contagious.

Do your spot early in the show to establish, but not as the opening act, maybe second if only five acts, or third if more. Smile

If you are like me and can't remember names, put tape on the mike stand with names. Or write in footlights, or write on your hand with a dry mark pen.

Make sure you know if they need the mike and their adjustment for how tall they are. You don't want the next act to have to come on and readjust the mike heighth.

Always take out any effect similar to anyone on the show NEVER DO A TRICK SOMEONE ELSE DOES and don't expect THEM to drop it.

Try to be the best dressed person in the building. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » MC stuff (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL