The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Bad American (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
Check out this link:

http://theanomaly.com/george_carlin.html

I don't have much to say except that I agree with most of it. I just thought that it would spark a good conversation. Smile
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I agree with the ones from the "hero" thru the "parents" the rest are iffy at best.

George made his money (and did his share of drugs) before the days of shock jocks and dopes like Carrott Top.

However, I tend to agree with Bill Cosby, "If comedians have to cuss, swear and talk about sex it is because they have nothing more intellegent to say." Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
I seriously doubt George Carlin wrote that or anything resembling it. If you move up to the previous page, there's a link to an almost identical piece supposedly written by Ted Nugent. Both look like the sort of thing that gets forwarded around in email.

(And Bill Cosby had it right!)

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
I agree that the source is probably vague at best, I found several other sites that were slightly different than this one. Whether or not George Carlin said it or not, I still think that they are some interesting points.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Sorry, it's not by George Carlin, Ted Nugent OR Rush Limbaugh (To whom it has also been credited).

Here's the full story: Snopes.com - "I'm A Bad American"
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I'm pretty sure that Carlin on his most off day is way funnier than that page.

And regarding the Bill Cosby quote, I once saw an interview where he said he thought Carlin and Richard Pryor were exceptions to that rule, and that they always had a point behind using the language they did.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I sort of doubt that the Cosby quote is literally accurate. Bill Cosby is too intelligent to have said that without a qualifying clause.

George Carlin,Richard Pryor and a few other comedians effectively use expressions that are unlikely to appear in your local church newsletter. The thing is that they use them in context and for solid structural reasons. It is the gratuitous use of such expressions that is indicative of a lack of wit.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Quote:
On 2002-09-21 23:46, Sid Mayer wrote:
I sort of doubt that the Cosby quote is literally accurate. Bill Cosby is too intelligent to have said that without a qualifying clause.

If you are talking about my quote I took it word for word. I have been a Cosby fan for 20 years. I like his cleaner approach to comedy.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Bad American (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL