The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Learning the basics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

keymaster
View Profile
New user
Australia
13 Posts

Profile of keymaster
Hi guys... Ive found a new interest in cup and balls lately and wish to buy a set of cups and a video or dvd. I was wondering how hard cups are to actually learn. Coming straight from cards (which weren't to hard to pick up and learn the basics) I want to get some ideas on how long it could take to get the hang of cups, as a set of cups aren't cheap.

I was thinking of buying Mike Ammar Cups & Balls Vol 1 & 2, but I'm not sure how they are for the basics. Also, how much can I expect to pay for a OK set of cups in Australia?

If anyone out there can help me, that would be great. Thanks
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
M. Ammar's videos have the basics for sure. They are very good! I haven't done a lot with the cups and balls, but I picked up the innitial moves fairly easily (like 2 days), Obviously the moves weren't mastered, but they are about as easy as a Top shot move in cards.

You shouldn't have much trouble. The DVDs show some basic, but solid routines. Cups range in cost from $5-$500, as far as I know. I wouldn't pay less than $20 if you plan on performing with them. A good set is around $100 and up. I don't know the currency rates for Australia, sorry.

For sure though, you should contact Bill Palmer, he knows it all! Have fun with this great classic.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
I would second the vote for Ammar, but there are a wealth of other routines out there, e.g. the one in Mark Wilson's "Cyclopaedia of Magic" is a great place to start. I've been doing cups 18 months now, and my favourite routine is still 4 paper cups and a company coffee mug, so do not necessarily go out and buy something expensive until you are sure you want to embrace the style/genre. If you do tho' , the sky is the limit for price and choice.
Good luck on the voyage
Rgds - Bruce
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The Trickery and Magic Warehouse have a Bazar de Magia's Cups and Balls set for $25 and $23.

This may be the way to go before you invest in a more expensive set.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Learning the basics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL