The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Georgia Magnet, should I teach my friend? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman02
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of magicman02
Hi,
I have a question, I am doing a show in a month for the freshman in my university and I am going to use my friend (who is extremely sexy and hot) as my assistant. I want to do the Georgia Magnet effect in my show, but I have to teach her. Do you think it is a good idea to teach her? I know she won't expose the secret and the routine will be funny because she is really attractive and bring two guys up to touch her makes it funny with all the comic bits. It only takes a short amount of time for me to teach the effect to her, because the principle is really simple.
deverett
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of deverett
Only if you are prepared to post photos after the show Smile

Dave Everett
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
I think you are allowed to teach your assitants things like this to aid your act. But then again you shoudl already know this, and maybe your not realy sure if the secrets safe afterall, if your consious is kicking in............
One day I will write a book
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Well, if you feel that your friend would not expose the trick, then by all means.

It has kinda become a norm for magicians in magic shows to have beautiful assistance. Thou I feel that for a university crowd, having guys in that effect you mention may take the attention away from the effect as they are too engrossed in something else. (I mean if she is really that hot)

but I have to agree that the fact that she is sexy and hot does make it easier to make comic bits in the performance. In addition, I think that the guys will be more interested in getting to know her than in asking about the trick Smile Just make sure your teasing does not get overboard and offend them instead. A defensive audience is never a good one. Best get one guy one gal. That way its easier to control and can increase the amount of comic bits. Its just my opinion.

Oh tell me which university and you can pick me as a helper in the effect Smile Feel free to PM me her..er..i mean the performance pics Smile

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Also make sure your assitant it aware of your planned comedy piece, you don't want to offend her by accident, escpecialy if she is 'hot'.
One day I will write a book
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Of course you should teach her, how else is she going to be able to do it all? She'l keep quiet, most assistants do, I think. This opinion is based on the few assistants I've met by chance...and years later they seem proud to have the knowledge and experience, but none of them tipped a thing...they seem to like being 'on the inside' and seem to realize better than magicians thevalue of a secret.
Remember, once you have established the premise of the GM, you can ring in any number of other effects that YOU do the work on, but attribute the power to her.

In my manuscript The New Georgia Magnet Act, I tell of using a Hydrostatic glass and two lengths of 10' electrical cord, stripped 8" on each end. One end is wrapped around each wrist of the assistant and the other end is given an audience member. You/she does the Hydrostatic glass until the climax, then, to release the water, have the two audience members simply touch their bare wires together, thus 'shorting out' the little lady. Instantly, the water gushes from the upturned glass...thus proving without doubt her electromatic strange powers. It's strong, weird and scientific...takes the heat off it maybe being a trick AND demonstrates impossible powers.

The no-lift thing is also in the Mss which you may enjoy. If you don't have that manuscript, you can also try "Light! Camera! Magic" by Dick and Virginia Willliams....they also teach the no-lift stunt.

Yeah, teach her, and maybe that act can go for awhile. Good luck and have fun.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Didn't Derren Brown use a female assistant to perform the Georgia Magnet effect at a boxing club?
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Go with your gut feeling. She'll hopefully understand how fun it is to have that secret.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
darkseance
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of darkseance
Tell her then kill her
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
I've but quickly browsed through this thread but here's the deal...

PROFESSIONAL MAGICIANS/MENTALISTS use a thing known as a "Secrecy Agreement" in order to keep their secrets, resources, etc. quiet and part of professional domain. I'm not certain where you would find a copy of such a contract (you may check with THEDEAN a.k.a. Dean Hankey) but I'm certain a template of some sort could be had.

NO, this is not unusual business activity. Major corporations use them all the time so as to protect their secrets... as I understand it, they got the idea from us (go figure!) Anywho... this is a legally binding document e.g. if she opens her mouth and tips how it works and you find out, you can end up owning the house or car or whatever ever item of value she "thinks" she owns due to breach of contract.

Find yourself a good lawyer, pay him/her $500.00 to create such a contract and voila! You have a master copy that can be used ad infenitem.

Hope this helps you understand how things really work in our world... then again, you could always marry the girl and establish everything as part of the family business. That's the other age-old method that's worked for our kind.

Later!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Georgia Magnet, should I teach my friend? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL