The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Edge Grip question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Well most of you have read my posts and know that I am relativly new to coin routines. Anyway, I am working on hopping coins on ETMMM by Ammar. And I keep losing it on edge grip. they keep falling out. Am I missing something, or is there a proper placement?
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Coins with sharp milling obviously help, and (at least) for me there are placements that work much better than others. As with all sleights, it boils down to a lot of practise, but you might be holding the coins to tightly. Try holding them with a softer touch, if you squeeze them too much they might 'tilt', and once they start tilting, they're as good as on the floor (or flashed to the spectators).
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
If you don't already have Kainoa Harbotte's "Coins on Edge," I'd recommed checking it out. He places the coin in more of a "low Down's palm" position. I find it easier to work with than traditional edge grip position. (There are other advantages too, as Kainoa mentions.)

-- Frank
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Looked it up I might have to pick that up . Oh and I'm sorry I meant Hanging Coins not Hopping.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Have good milling on the coin, and start with only one coin, then build your way up. Just like the classic palm, don't start with palming 2,3,4 coins, start with only one. You'll get the hang of it. When I got the Edge grip, I loved it, and because it is such a clean looking concealment, it is very useful. IMHO
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
The suggestions for milled edges are good, I'm not familiar with the Ammar material, but roth explains how to get into the grip very well. also as a finish to winged silver eg allows for a strong finish.
dug
Deckless Wonder
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How tight are you grabbing them? And how many coins are you grabbing?

Do you have VERY bony fingers?

Kainoa Harbottle does wonders with EG these days.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I guess pretty tight andthats because my hands are small so I kinda have to in order to grad the 3 coins to show. but in the whole routine. you only end up holding 3 in edge grip.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Might want to start with modern half dollars or even quarters for EG stuff. You don't need slicks or soft coins for some of the material. It's only when you do the Buclkey or Harbottle stuff that coins are sliding ... and that's advanced stuff anyway. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Jonathan Thanks I am currently working with only halfs. And that's because I just started getting serious about coin magic and quarters just seem way to samll.

Well I got the Roth set so ill look through there see if he has any tips.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
If you want a push- work with coins with no milling (english penny, barber halves, etc) for an afternoon. Then go pick up your milled coins - I think you'll be more confident in your handling.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ok sorry again you guys know I'm new to coin magic . Milled means Ridged or non ridged?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Milled means ridged /grooved. Rough edges.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Which is weird, I've always heard the US mint call it "Reeds". If a coin has reeds it's rough... and if it doesn't it's smooth. But ever since I've been into magic I've called it milled... and I have no idea why.

Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Edge Grip question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL