The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » WANTED Review for-Totally Out of Control by Chris Kenner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I am requesting for an in depth review for this book called
Totally Out of Control by Chris Kenner. Is it mostly card effects? mostly coin effects? or a balanced mix of both?

I searched the Café and only found this http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

A thorough review will help.

Thanks. Smile

Here are the list of effects:

Missing Link
Hellbound
Three Fry
Perversion
Travlrs 1
For 4 for
Diet
Aftershock
In Ten City
Long Gone Silver
Menage et trois
Cloth and Pence
Print Shop
Schwing
Twin Peeks
Twister
The Deep
Into the Woods
Sybil
The Five Faces of Sybil
Bad Credit
3,2, Gone
Paint by Numbers
Must be 21 to Enter
Poker in the Eyes
S.W. Elevator
Sybil the Trick
O.O.S.P.C.A.
Five Speed
3-D Ropes
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
The book is very good. It is a fairly equal balance between card and coin effects. Obviously, by reading the names of the effects, there are other props needed as well.

I really enjoy this book. I would say that the coin effects are for the intermediate to advance magician and the card effects range from selfworking to advanced. You will find something in this book that you will use.

As you have probably read, the book is rather entertaining, complete with cartoon puzzles and one-liners. I am rather indifferent towards these. I don't want a book to put me to sleep, but I buy a book on magic for the knowledge inside. And, in the case of Kenner's book, the knowledge provides adequate reason to stay interested in the book.

If you have a chance to purchase the book, don't hesitate. When you get it, look at Twister. In my opinion, it removes the few weak parts of reset to make an incredibly powerful effect. After that, pick any other trick, you won't be dissapointed.

Trevor
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
I got a brand new copy for sale pm me if you are interested.
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
I agree...this book is totally worth every penny....ive seen chris do this stuff in person...and....WOW
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
A good balance of coins and cards which if you master them will be reputation makers. Can't stress enough how valuable this book is. Take note the current printing is the 2nd ed. as the first printing has completly sold out some time ago.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
There's an effect in there that's based on Rollover Aces that's a stunner. I always wanted to work it into a close up act because I came up with a cool extra ending for it... ah, but now I do mentalism.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Quote:
On 2005-02-10 22:42, Greg Arce wrote:
There's an effect in there that's based on Rollover Aces that's a stunner. I always wanted to work it into a close up act because I came up with a cool extra ending for it... ah, but now I do mentalism.
Greg

"Paint by Numbers"... A very cool effect. Greg, I am interested in hearing your ending for it. PM?

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, I figured you could tell the tale of being a magician is like a being an artist. You do the effect as described and say you'd like to show them your new canvas. You turn over the mat and brush out the various cards then you say, "I always like to sign my work." You now take the rest of the deck and spread it face up, but the cards are all blank except they have your signature running throw them in large scale.
Greg
P.S. For those that know how to do the signature: basically take the needed blank cards and do a tight spread then take a large magic marker and sign your name across them as you hold the cards down
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Cool idea Greg. Just another quick thought, if someone wanted to make this up, is that you could have half the deck blank backed, and half blank faced... If you think about it, that would give you some freedom to show the deck as normal, and then one h*** p*** later, you've got your big finish.

Liam.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Chris Kenner's "3 Fly" is gaffless right? Only sleight of hand?

Do I need to purchase some gimmicks and gaffs for some effects in the book?

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Great idea Greg...

George, to answer your question, 3 Fly is gaffless. But there are some other routines in there that are killer and do require gaffs (or extra apparatus).

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Thanks Syd!

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Does Chris Kenner use soft coins? Or just ordianry American Silver Dollars?

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
To my knowldge, he is using "soft" coins.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Christian Z.
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
126 Posts

Profile of Christian Z.
I just got the book and it's really good. I found a few things I could use, and I'm looking forward to the coins. GET THIS BOOK. His coin work is really good and will look good when done right, such as his 3 Fly. His Missing Link is really clever, the trick is just as it is told, 2 bands link and you can actually DANGLE the band, and unlink them and give it back, no gaffs, just straight impromptu. His card stuff is pretty good also, In Ten City was one I did like alot, it's full of visual changes and the color changes aren't the everyday ones, they're different type of color changes. There is nothing but hard hitters in this book, even the easy ones would probably fool me if a magician showed them to me. Get the book. Enough said.
Christian
Amazing Samdini
View Profile
New user
Playa Vista CA
66 Posts

Profile of Amazing Samdini
Thanks for the reminder, guys. I will re-visit this book and take a look at Rollover Aces. When I bought the first edition it was beyond my abilities. But like all of us, we improve (hopefully) our skills. This is definitely a book to grow into.
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of saheer
$.02:
Good book.
Regarding the soft coins, he uses slicks - worn american silver dollars.
Gaffs - I can remember some are needed for a rope effect.
Some of the card tricks needed setups but I don't remember any needing gaffs.

As Samdini mentioned, most of the stuff does require a lot of practice and rehearsal.
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Guys, I am still in doubts, what is the ratings you guys give this book??

I know Chris Kenner is just like a top names in magic, but not really sure this book suitable to me or not???

To be honest, I don't used a lot of gaffed things in my act, so, I really hope that someone can tell me whether this kind of book suits me or not, I am really appreciate that!

Thanks!

Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
It is not Chris Kenner's 3 Fly. The book is great, by not without considerable controversy.
Drive Carefully
pierre888
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of pierre888
Considering buying this book too from ebay... generally positive reviews on this book... hopefully it will be a classic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » WANTED Review for-Totally Out of Control by Chris Kenner (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL