The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Non-Vernon derivative C&B Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
I have many already, but am always onthe lookout for more. Some may not not fly or may not fit me, but are not similar to Vernon only with a different climax. Some novels ones that I enjoy are Milt Kort's miniature c&b routine, Paul Gertner's steel ball routine, Johnny Paul Sponge ball and cups, Ed Marlo's sponge ball and cups. Anyway, Vernon's routine is great, I am just looking for a wider variety. Any thoughts on Al Schneider's routine? Some of Eddie Joseph's routine are good--see separate to see many trash Joseph's works) but he has one where each ball singly appears and eventually singly disappears. No climax loads, but a nice logical routine. John Bannon has his cups rightside up thjorugh most of the routine (as do most people when drinking from the d**** things). Anyway, I hoped some of you would post your favorite C&B routine that is not like Vernon's (or Ammar's, or Rogers, or....and post the source so some of us might research it as well. Thanks.
David
dcobbs
View Profile
New user
Portsmouth, England
33 Posts

Profile of dcobbs
David Williamsons 2 cups routine is one of my favorites. It's still somewhat traditional, but if you've not checked it out its worth a look.
Magically yours,

Daniel Cobbs.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
I did an Eddie Joseph's Multipalm derivative for a while in the 80's. It's quite dependent on the type of balls to be completely fluid, or that's what I found. Trashing of Joseph is unfair. You do need to pick and choose, agreed, but that's what magic should be about; taking some ideas, adding your own and developing them.

Some ideas of his weren't the best, but who is to say they wouldn't help others think of better? Too many people expect to buy ideas off the shelf, complete, and ready to fit their style.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Tommy Wonder's 2 cup routine is a thing of beauty. Fools me every time I watch it. There really isn't much there from Vernon and anyone studying the cups should take a look at it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I still have my manuscript of the cups and balls routine from Hocus Pocus Jr. edition 2, avaiable. PM me for details.

It is definitely not the Vernon routine.

Laurie Ireland's Original Cup and Ball Routines has some good material in it, as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Bruce Elliott's Classic Secrets of Magic has several variations; Joe Berg's and Charlie Miller's are among them. Charles Bertram's routine from The Modern Conjuror is pre-Vernon. Other early variations can be found in Magician's Own Book, and Hoffmann's Modern Magic.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
David Regal's "Cups and Balls and Cups and Balls" has the first LOGICAL final loads I have ever encountered. It's in his Constant Fooling books under the title "A True Story". One of my favorites. Tommy Wonder's is also superb. Every time I see it it fools me (his final loads are some what logical as well, I suppose). "Fruit Cups" from The Book by the Flicking Fingers is also fantastic. Tim Ellis' "Runaround Sue" is also fantastic. While I can't see anybody but Tim doing it, the ideas and thinking behind the construction are fabulous. You can get the manuscript or DVD from many different places. Ross Bertram had some nice cups and balls work as well. There is a really nice move in the Genii magazine with him on the cover.
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
John Mendoza published two manuscripts that you may find of interest:

"The Mendoza Cups and Ball Routine" and "Sequel to The Mendoza Cups and Balls Routine".

http://www.morrisseymagic.com/morrissey_books4.htm

John Mendoza's routine requires the use of a 'Chop Cups and Balls Combination' set.
"One arrow. One life."
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-02-14 18:50, dcobbs wrote:
David Williamsons 2 cups routine is one of my favorites. It's still somewhat traditional, but if you've not checked it out its worth a look.

This is the one I do (sans the multiple lemons ) I still like Vernon's idea of varying thr fruit ).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
I Like Aldo Columbini's routine.

Joe
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
I have a copy of the Johnny Platt routine which uses some Eddie Joseph moves and is very different from the Vernon one. I never hear his name mentioned these days but he was well-known for his cups and balls at one time.
Martin
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
For a different presentation see "Runaround Sue" by Tim Ellis. Available on DVD.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Quote:
Other early variations can be found in Magician's Own Book, and Hoffmann's Modern Magic.

I wouldn't recommend much of the C&B from Hoffman's Modern Magic, except to read through for background. He even advocates deliberately flashing the final loads as some kind of sucker prelude, as I remember. I couldn't believe it when I read that!

Still, who is to say there isn't stuff in there that could be worked on. The introductory patter is a toe-curling piece of Victorian waffle. A real period effort Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Fred Kaps had a very nice routine, it is in print. Also check out Senator Crandall's routine in an early Tarbell.

Then there are Indian Cup routines that I like better than the regular cups.

Oh, Bob Read's routine, "The Penultimate Cups and Balls" is a KILLER.

Gazzo's powerful presentation makes one not care who's routine it is based on.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-02-15 08:38, swatchel-omi wrote:
I Like Aldo Columbini's routine.

Joe

Which one? He has published five different routines.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Davidmagic:

Try to get a look at Al Schneider’s routine. It is very un-Vernon and ideal for “sit down at table” presentation.

Bob
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
[/quote]

Which one? He has published five different routines.
[/quote]

Yeah, you're right. I forgot :-(

I like the routine on Vol 4 of his video series. It uses the 3 different color pom poms, and is not a Vernon based routine. It has a couple of nice moves.

All that said though, I still think Gazzo's and Cellini's routines are still the best.

Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Non-Vernon derivative C&B Routines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL