The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Nine Card Problem - I need a rotuine (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I have three or so presentational variations of Jim's original. The one I use as an ice breaker is called "Hello My Name Is..." and it uses the three piles of three handling mentioned by spectrahue above. The phrase that is spelt is "Hello, my name is..." along with the first name (or nickname) of your participant. The "thought-of" card is found using a Down-Under Deal. I usually perform this for small groups, with everyone following along, cards in hand.

I also devised a 12-card version, based on a trick by Marti Kane called "Gift of the Magi" (Genii Magazine, October 1997, Pg. 63), for a promotional video used at work:

https://vimeo.com/248331689

@docguitarman, I have rough notes of these variations if you're interested. But you can probably work out what to do.

Marty
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1947 Posts

Profile of Claudio
If you strictly stick with spelling card names in three phases and keep the same automatic outcome, there is a mathematical reason why the trick won’t work with more than 9 cards*. If you get fancy (with the spelling that is) then there are versions where up to the full deck (boring) could be used.

Here’s one (simplest handling) described in a Com Mulcahy book: the spec cuts ¼ of the deck and shuffles it. The magician makes a prediction of a card. The spec spells “chocolate” (or whatever ice-cream flavour of their choosing) three times and on the last deal the top card matches the prediction.

The mathematical principle that underpins that type of tricks is known as Low-Down Triple Dealing. Mulcahy explains it thoroughly in his book.

*My own variation of the classic 9-card-problem uses 10 ten cards, but it has an anomaly which is actually a benefit from my point of view.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

You can read Com Mulcahy's article on the Low-Down Triple Dealing procedure on the MMA website for free. Mathematics Magazine (April 2015) contains an article on the "Nine Card Problem" and includes a generalisation that allows you to use the procedure with any number of cards.
Geeraff12
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
74 Posts

Profile of Geeraff12
And in his (Mulcahy) book Mathematical Card Magic (2013). Mike Powers also looks at the Mulcahy Triple Dealing principle in Tesseract. Mike calls it the Bottom to Top Principle, Max Maven has used it also. The math behind it is simple and can be used for any number of cards. Try it you'll fool yourself.

G
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

I recently found a cool variation of the "Nine Card Problem" called "My Secret Password" by Robert Ball. I posted it to the Deckless! forum, but thought it would be sensible to mention it here, too.

I've written a blog post about my experience with the trick:

The Password is Always Swordfish

There's also a link to a variation of "My Secret Password" I devised called "Bad Password" that uses a small amount of sleight of hand to allow the selection to be a thought-of card and adds a kicker ending to the routine. The trick write-up is password protected. Give me a PM if you struggle to work it out.

Marty
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

I've just published three alternative handlings of Jim Steinmeyer's "Nine Card Problem" on my blog:

I Got 9 Card Problems, But a Trick Ain't One!

This includes "Hello, My Name Is..." which I already mentioned on this thread a while back. There's also a hidden, three-card version of the plot that's a ton of fun to perform.

Marty
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

I've updated the post to include a hidden link to my thoughts on "Steinmeyer's Nine Card Trick With Seven Cards" by David Solomon. I've also added some additional links to further information about the plot for others who want to explore it in greater depth.

Marty
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I used to spell Truth - 5 cards, after they lie. It is a clever trick. I stopped using it because it reminded people of the 21 card trick which every layman knew or had seen, at one time. Plus they assume it is a math trick. They may not know the details, but once they think it is math, they are less impressed. I also tried palming out the 5th card for a card to pocket thing. That was a good ending. It took it out of the math department.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Using the word "TRUTH" is a good alternative. I agree with what you're saying in a broad sense; it is tough to disguise the method. However, not every trick we perform needs to be miracle class. The "Nine Card Problem" is a puzzling trick at best, but I still think it is worth performing because it is highly interactive.

Even if a layperson suspects mathematics is involved, you can still engage them and keep them interested. I've found that the memory presentation of "Elaborative Encoding" does just that. As does the Lie Detector plot, but only if you really commit to it. Your audience knows it's a load of nonsense, but they go along with it because it is fun.

Adding a little sleight of hand to the ending does help make the trick more deceptive, although I don't think this is always needed. "Duck and Deal Discovery" uses a TC at the end to add a surprise transposition. In essence, the "Nine Card Problem" principle is being used as a placement procedure to locate two selected cards. I've also developed a one-person version of this trick that I'll share on the blog once I've written it up.

Marty
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
It is up to you. It took me a long time to take it out of my repertoire, because I like it myself. The card to pocket added a lot, but I have other card to pocket tricks to work with. Roland Rochelle's instant folded card to coin purse comes to mind. So, I finally deleted it.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

A card-to-pocket will always be stronger than a small packet spelling location. So I understand why you culled it from your repertoire. I'm keeping it in mine because it works so well with the memory skills stuff I'm also interested in.

However, this classic is hard to beat if you want a trick you can perform over the phone or via Zoom.

Marty
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Martyjacobs said " However, not every trick we perform needs to be miracle class."

I say "amen" and believe this is a topic for a whole 'nother discussion. I felt it needed to be highlighted.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Quote:
I say "amen" and believe this is a topic for a whole 'nother discussion. I felt it needed to be highlighted.

I've got this on my list of possible blog articles, as it happens. And I agree it deserves to be a separate discussion. However, I'll share my opinion as it stands at the moment.

Professional magicians often say that you should only perform your strongest material or only miracle class effects for the public. Now, if the scenario is that I'm only able to perform one trick for a person, and I'm never going to see them again, then there might be some wisdom in this idea. However, I perform for the same audience multiple times, so I need a range of effects to add variety to my magical performances (I'd argue that this is the case with a formal show as well).

Although I love an exciting car chase or an epic fight scene when I watch an action movie, I don't want the whole film to be a giant car chase or one big fight scene.

I've found the "Nine Card Problem" to function well as an opener or a transition piece. But, like all tricks, it will not suit every performer.

Marty
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

I stumbled across another great variation of the "Nine Card Problem" that I like a lot by Pete Stedman.

The selected card is lost in the pack. Then, a few cards are removed to form a small packet. The selection is not among them. However, when the card's name is spelt, it appears on the top of the packet.

Marty
jaschris
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of jaschris
Yet another vote for Cardboard Lie Detector by Terry LaGerould. So little work, so much mileage.
Tim Roesch
View Profile
New user
United States
80 Posts

Profile of Tim Roesch
Awesome! This is going in my rep!
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

I've put links to ten variations of "The Nine Card Problem" in Secret Sessions for anyone still interested in exploring this magical plot.

Have fun! Smile

Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Nine Card Problem - I need a rotuine (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL