The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Compressed illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Does the Compressed illusion no longer use the hand sticking out feature?
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
From any photos I've seen it never did. You're most likely remembering hands sticking out in a knocked off copy of the illusion. The original illusion is still available at http://www.danielsummers.com Maybe earlier models did include the hand feature. Why not email Dan Summers and ask him.

Best,

Tim

P.S. Just checked out your website...Howdy to a fellow Zimmerman hoops performer.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Thanks, I love that trick.
redwine
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of redwine
Regarding the Hands for Compressed:
After the girl is fully compressed the Magician has the option of removing the roller blind and neck stock. The audience sees her "compressed body" and both of her real hands. Not everyone does this bit, but it is possible with all Dan Summers Compressed.
Owen
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Hey all;

Just my two cents on this one. I've seen a lot of un-authorized compressed illusions. And well...they are very...sad. In that the method is being ostracized and the props are just...not up to par.

The removal of the blind and showing the hands for me is the kicker. It looks great! when you remove the blind and show the hands. And there's not but an inch or so from head to toe. It is a great illusion.

I have seen a few where when removing the blind....the idea is to show the girl 'compressed'. I feel these "new" ways do more harm than good.

when moving the blind they make the illusion bigger than it is!!

If you have an original Summers Compressed, then worship it! it's a true piece of beauty. Anything else...just makes me cringe.

Matt
Lyboel
View Profile
New user
Denmark
20 Posts

Profile of Lyboel
Can the Summers Compressed be peformed surrounded in a circus...?

I will have one...Smile
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
No, unfortunately it can't be performed surrounded. Smile
The method doesn't allow this and also you need to see the face & feet for maximum effect.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-24 19:49, el rafael wrote:
No, unfortunately it can't be performed surrounded. Smile
The method doesn't allow this and also you need to see the face & feet for maximum effect.

Actually it can be done surrounded. You need a special gimmick in addition to the regular prop. If interested you have to ask about it when purchasing as its not a promoted item.

Best,

Tim

Day 26
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Yes, I know about the special gimmick, but still you don't have the same visual effect as watching it from the front. (And it gives the method away as there is to much attention to that strange gear box at the back).
It's like adding the side and back panels to the head box of the twister illusion so you can perform it surrounded. (It doesn't look as good).
If you want you can do most illusions surrounded. (Remember the dancers with the capes to cover the bad angles).
I don't recommend this version for a circus, the Andre Kole version might be more suitable (squeeze box).

Best,
Rafael
leoillusion
View Profile
New user
Atlanta GA
96 Posts

Profile of leoillusion
Now what was the final verdict with Andrew Mayne's 'Shrink Boy' and Dan Summers' 'Compressed'? I built the Shrink Boy from Andrew Maynes book and then I re-built it so that it looks really good, It look thinner than Dan Summers version now. I do not know how Dan's version works but is it ok for me to use my version in my shows without people screaming fake or knock off?

Leo
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Do a search and you will see Andrew Mayne talked about the effects. Love to see pictures of your shrunk boy if you have any?
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Knight Magic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
53 Posts

Profile of Knight Magic
We had Daniel Summers' Compressed illusion in the show for years, and we've always opened the roller blind to show her hands visible. I made the gimmick myself and it makes it a much stronger effect. I have done it surrounded before, but it wasn't something I'd recommend doing because it made it much more complicated. The key to making this effect powerful is walking underneath it, and that's something that most people never consider. Lay people believe that she is just lying straight back. You have to turn it considerably to each side to be convincing that she's not. We always got a great response for it. You can see a couple pictures of the illusion on our website under "The Show." Ours is built by Owen Redwine, the original builder for the Compressed, and I believe Bill Smith is also building them now as well. You can definitely tell the difference between an original and a knock off. We're actually hoping to sell our Compressed, so if anyone's interested feel free to contact us.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I'd love to buy it - This is my favorite illusion. But I know it's out of my price range.

Jim
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I would say that this Illusion is up to the fooling standards of Origami..
Out of all the Illusions that I have performed.... These are the best when it comes to fooling the audience...The compressed is very deceptive..

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
maharajademagia
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of maharajademagia
Where can I buy the plans of this wonderful illusion?
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
There are no plans available for Daniel Summers' Compressed. It is available only through him and Bill Smith Magic Ventures.

http://www.danielsummers.com/

http://www.magicventures.com/
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
About performing Compressed surrounded is this model of Luis enabled for surrounded performance ? I ask this thing because I guess the back side roller blinded covers the things you don't know to be seen it
. Or I am wrong ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B09W3Ka......9W3KalKc

Some times you could do it in ball rooms or other stage from malls markets and some guys from technical stage crew of a band or others could se some things and I don't like at all .
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2016, j.i.s. wrote:
About performing Compressed surrounded is this model of Luis enabled for surrounded performance ? I ask this thing because I guess the back side roller blinded covers the assistant during performance. I know that will remain the sides wall uncovered.
. Or I am wrong ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B09W3Ka......9W3KalKc

Some times you could do it in ball rooms or other stage from malls markets and some guys from technical stage crew of a band or others could se some things and I don't like at all .
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Forget about the techies and stage crew and just do your magic.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2016, jimhlou wrote:
Forget about the techies and stage crew and just do your magic.

You definitely have to if you work in the cruise ships doing illusions! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Compressed illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL