The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I would like to create my own dime, non magnetic Canadian (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Canadian coins are not magnetic. That is they do not act as magnets and will not stick to your refrigerator. They will, unlike US coins, be attracted to magnets.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
From dictionary.com, the definitions of magnetic are:
1 Of or relating to magnetism or magnets.
2 Having the properties of a magnet.
3 Capable of being magnetized or attracted by a magnet.

So the Canadian coins in question are magnetic in the third sense of the definition. Magnetic recording tape will not attract anything but it is capable of being magnetized or attracted by a magnet.

This concerns me more:

Quote:
On 2005-02-20 11:45, troller wrote:
Hey Winks.... how do you explain the existance of the scotch and soda coins? And there are many more coins like the 21 cent trick just to name another. Are they counterfeit? Is the long arm of the law after these people that make them?

Go to any magic store and see for yourself Winks! Coin magic must do with what they can.

The Scotch and Soda coins are not counterfeits. It is perfectly legal to modify existing coins. The Scotch and Soda coins are machined from genuine coins. So are the 21 cent tricks and all of the other interesting coin gaffs you are familiar with.

You have, unfortunately, put yourself into an interesting position. You have warned the government that you plan to make counterfeit coins.

Your best bet might be using US coins instead. You can have a US Dime shimmed. That will make it magnetic. Otherwise it is non-magnetic.

If you make a duplicate of a coin that is recognized as legal tender, it is counterfeiting.

I know the Canadian government is lax on a lot of things, but when you start actually MAKING their money, you are asking for a lot of trouble.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
http://www.micromark.com has two pages of RTV, resin, and low temperature metal casting/ molding materials. The metal melts at 160-500F depending on the alloy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I would like to create my own dime, non magnetic Canadian (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL