The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Portable Hole (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

njh
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
143 Posts

Profile of njh
For David Roth's Portable Hole routine, what would be the most practical way to produce the 'portable hole' and the coins from the purse frame, while standing.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
In Kaufman's CoinMagic, David Roth has a 4 coin purse frame production. I forget the name of it at the moment, but it is in the same section as the Portable Hole.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Where specifically do you want to vary your handling from what is in the book?

Are you working without the closup pad and/or can't get set?

What specifically is the challenge you want to overcome?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Producing the hole is the problem. The Roth method works fine for stand-up. If you think it's too cozy the aformetioned Edge Grip productions (the Acentric Purse) in COINMAGIC will fit the bill and keep the fourth coin concealed.

As for the hole, I've never felt that it needs to be produced from the purse and in my stand up handling I don't. Since it's a "demonstration" type of trick any way I think it's prefectly valid to simply show them the hole and explain what it is and then produce the coins from the purse. You could, of course remove the purse from the hole instead. That would be easy to do while standing.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
The last time I saw David Roth perform this piece, he says "I have a hole in my pocket" and takes it out of his shirt pocket. A similar event occurs in the movie "Yellow Submarine" however I don't think the Beatle's performed any coin magic.
ME
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I wish I had seen David pull the hole out of his shirt pocket. Good for him. And good for you if you are comfortable just taking it out like that.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I suppose I should have known David would think of that that...

I've been using that line for years myself to explain why I keep my coins in a coin purse (now you know Jon) even when I'm not talking about a purse frame. I keep mine in my pants pocket though, because it allows for the old pocket ruse from Bobo's to be used to ditch and load extra coins from the pocket.

Didn't really want to share it, but since it's out in the open now (thanks a lot Mark!!!).
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Joe Givan has a wonderful Portable Hole routine that talks about where everything goes when you lose it between the couch cushions. It is in his lecture notes "Magic From the Attic".

Scott
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Hi All.
I’m working on David Roth’s Portable hole.
In his performance on the NY Coin Magic Seminar DVD, it looks like David is
using a larger hole than is describes in his books and earlier videos. Does anyone know the
dimensions of the larger hole?
Thanks in advance.
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Assuming half dollars I use a CD or DVD as my template
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Thanks very much Doug!
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I have a Stand - up Handling In my 1 st Hardbound And A stand-up Handling With a Pocket !
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I believe Giacomo Bertini performs this routine, might find something useful there...His work is exceptional.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
This is my version of David Roth’s Portable Hole. David’s routine involves lapping and imp passes and many other techniques I am never able to do where I perform. I have added a shell and made it a lot more practical for where I perform. You need a table and a close up pad is useful but not essential.

I hope you enjoy the routine

https://youtu.be/oJ4Qn4J1wkA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Portable Hole (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL