The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » A quirky Card-toon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I have a background in animation, and one idea that I was pondering, was making a court card come to life via the flip book animation such as Dan Harlan's card toon.. You could turn over say the King of Hearts, and say: "is that your card?" and they say no, so then you go and proceed to do the animation, and the King takes his sword out of his head and stabs it out view of the edge of the frame, and retracts it to show the spectators card impaled on his sword. How do you like this idea?
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
WOW! I like it! I was never much of a fan of cardtoon or II but this idea actually appeals to me.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Magic74Josh
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
101 Posts

Profile of Magic74Josh
Would you like to tell me where, when, how I can get my hands on one? Let me know!!!
Magically Yours,
Magic74Josh
Magic7Josh@aol.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Geoff,
That is good!
Like x-treem, I was never much of a fan of Cardtoon but your idea has real merit.
Smile
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Quote:
On 2002-10-15 21:59, Magic74Josh wrote:
Would you like to tell me where, when, how I can get my hands on one? Let me know!!!

well, I guess I can try pitching this to one of the companies.. it might be a little too expensive for me to self-publish.. I'll get started on the animation.. at the very least, I can make a prototype for myself on the computer..
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Geoff,

A neat idea indeed, but (I could get to hate that word) one thing bothers me. All versions of Cardtoon that I have seen have the animation on the back of the cards. Placing it on the front, as you suggest, seems to mean that you would wind up flipping through a deck containing a whole lot of the same card. Might this be somewhat disturbing.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
well, I don't think that anyone ever suspected cardtoon was an ungimmicked deck either.. I suppose, one option would be to make the cards all double facers....with normal faces on one side... and the animated kings on the other side... would this be any better?
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Great Idea Geoff!

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
I have an idea.
Using your example, force the king of hearts and the card you want from a regular deck. then, switch it out at some point with the animation deck. When you take back the king of hearts, you would have the animation deck out, missing the first part of its animation. then, you hold the animation deck face down, put the card on the bottom then flip the animation. hand them the king, then pocket the deck. Then if they want to see another, you can pull out the real deck from your pocket without making it look too awkward. or you can use this to pull out the real deck again and take back the king, as if you forgot it.
Tell me what you think...
-Tropical penguin. Smile
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
How about animating the jack of spades so it gradually morphs into the queen of hearts when you flip through the deck? You could use morphing software to make it all fit into 26 frames.

The faces with the morphing sequence could then be interlaced with 26 indifferent cards. From there, you can turn it into a Svengali deck.

Display all indifferent cards per Svengali, then force the jack of spades on Bob. Riffle shuffle the pack and then force the queen of hearts on Alice. Give the deck one more riffle shuffle and say you'll find her card.

Give the deck a complete cut, ask her to name her card, and then show her the face of the pack. It's the jack of spades. Without losing eye contact with her, ask "Bob. What was your card?" He'll say "the jack of spades". Tell her, "well I didn't say you'd be first!"

Show Bob the face of the pack and ask "Bob, tell me. Is she just imagining this? Is that the jack of spades?" He'll say "yes".

"You guys have a good imagination. A little TOO good I'm afraid. I could have sworn I cut to the queen of hearts. Take one last look and try not to be so creative this time. Just relax your eyes."

Riffle the end of the deck to animate the cards, morphing the jack into the queen of hearts.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
The morphing idea is pretty cool too... You wouldn't be able to riffle shuffle or cut as you suggested unless they were false shuffles and false cuts..
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
This is an awsome idea! you could get some of the Moon Playing Cards (The world's thinnest deck, I think) and make the animation on your pc print them on photo paper and then glue them to the faces. This would make the deck about normal size. If you come out with a template for pc tell me.
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
I love this idea. When you get it made up, and if you can successfully pitch it to the companies, let us know.
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Yes it is a great idea. But I have a better idea for it, I think. You could show all cards different. No kidding here. To some point. But every card can be seen. No double cards or rough and smooth. Then you put the King of Spades or whatever on top and it's not their card. Smile (but we know better) Smile

You give up and ask her for her card. You get it out and put it on top of the deck, but under the king. You talk a litle and then riffle through all the cards and they have all turned into the animation. There is no force in this.

I will Pm you Geoff when I get this a little clearer in my head. Smile

Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Hey! what happens now? Any news bout this card toon??
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Geoff, that idea is splendid. And with all the suggestions being offered, you could hone it into a masterpiece. When you finish it, I DEFINITELY want one. Hope you can keep in touch about your progress.

I have been fascinated by the magic of animation ever since I was a kid. I used to take old books I'd find, and use the borders to draw my own cartoons. For many years it was a consuming passion.

I hope you will PM me and chat about your animation work. I'm all ears.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » A quirky Card-toon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL