The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » 6 card repeat, favorite patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docelk
View Profile
Veteran user
St. Pete, FL
362 Posts

Profile of docelk
Could anyone comment on their favorite patter for this card trick, or direct me to a source for their favorite patter?
Life is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real life, you would have been given further instructions on where to go, and what to do.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Mike Finney has a great presentation. I believe it is on his DVDs from L&L. My good friend Pete Watt showed me a great version years ago with rhyming patter. I believe he said it was from McComb.
docelk
View Profile
Veteran user
St. Pete, FL
362 Posts

Profile of docelk
Just saw Mike Finney at a magic convention in Tennessee 2 days ago. He did a great show with 6 Card Repeat in it, but I was laughing so much during the performance I had trouble remembering the exact patter. His presentation was what prompted my interest in learning the patter. Thanks.
Life is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real life, you would have been given further instructions on where to go, and what to do.
Nik_Mikas
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
159 Posts

Profile of Nik_Mikas
Punx.
wardia
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of wardia
I have patter problems. Anyone know of a good book about the subject? Thanks.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I always like the five card repeart better. Not as famous, but the same basic trick. You are playing poker, and your hand of only five cards, seems to improve each time you count out the cards. Start with a low pair, ends with a straight fulush, full house or five aces etc.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Hey Cliff,

Is that "One-Peat" that you are talking about? I was at the same convention in TN that docelk attended - it is my local ring's convention - and I attended the McBride master class on Sunday and he commented that Michael Finney used the patter just as it came out of the package. Anyway, John Tudor performed "One-peat" for the class and it sounds a lot like the routine that you are talking about. It was rhyming patter that had me fully entertained.

Scott Compton
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I look at it as magician's nightmare when invited to poker table. Trying to just play the game... but keeps finding extra cards in his hand.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Hi guys

Can you tell me where I might find instructions for this trick ? Sounds like and interesting effect.

DM
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
Scott,
The routine Jeff had me do in the master class is called "One Card Pete", by Elmer Applegit, It first appeared in Hugards Annual for 1938.George Sands made a feature of it as well.
I love that version!
Trying for a five card poker hand, the gambler realizes he has six cards, then one by one three are discarded, each time you've still got six. Then one by one the cards are added back, each time adding up to four! The gambler Pete gives up, and finally you show what he had all along: a five card straight flush. All in funny rhyme.
It's in my lecture notes if you're interested, just email me,
John Tudor
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2005-03-07 20:36, docelk wrote:
Just saw Mike Finney at a magic convention in Tennessee 2 days ago. He did a great show with 6 Card Repeat in it, but I was laughing so much during the performance I had trouble remembering the exact patter. His presentation was what prompted my interest in learning the patter. Thanks.

I agree!!

Michaels shows are a riot-So Professional& very funny, we were crying we laughed so much!!!!!!

His 6 card repeat is a great story about visiting magic shops etc & has a beaut finish
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I saw Tim Ellis lecture last week and he did his version of the "Six Card Repeat". He's does it as a rap with music and clever, rhyming patter. It worked very well and was refreshingly different from what we usually see. Even if the continual reappearance of six cards doesn't impress you it's still entertaining.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Years ago I saw Al Cohen tell a tale about a short guy and a tall guy.
The cards were accidently dropped during the tale but he still had six.
Very funny!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » 6 card repeat, favorite patter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL