The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Peanut butter and jelly....overdone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
You have contributed some great effects to the magic fraternity. Anything new on the horizon, Mr. Wenk?
-TW
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of -TW
Bill..

Thanks for the kind words.

I've been out of the magic spotlight for quite a while.

I have some plans for getting back INTO that spotlight in the not too distant future. (I miss it)

Over the past 15 years, I've been doing a LOT of performing + travelling. All under the magic 'radar.'

I do have an effect I plan to market soon. But before that happens I will be making some other waves, in other forms.

You'll definitely know when all this happens -- it'll be impossible to avoid Smile

Hey -- it's the PT Barnum (publicity freak, not conman) in me.

Cheers!

-- TW
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Thanks Tim, I was reading some old magic magazines the other day and came across some of your ads. I was wondering, whatever happened to that guy? Best of luck.
-TW
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of -TW
Yes -- those ads. Producing hype like that (I call it hype affectionately -- aka: good copywriting, hopefully) is a big part of the fun in inventing magic + selling it. I like the promoting it almost as much as the inventing it. The fully-written ad sometimes appears in the mind in the SAME instant at the inspiration for the effect/method itself! Like two or more giant cog-wheels suddenly meshing -- KERTHUNK!

Back then I was kinda known for big, full-page ads for one effect + repeating them in all mags.

When I won the FISM award, they took me aside and 'advised' me not to make too much 'hay' out of it -- they KNEW that's EXACTLY what I was going to do!

I went easy on 'em though. lol

Cheers!

-- TW
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I have tried to overcome the peanut allergy stigma (you have to pledge to teachers/school authorities now that there's no peanut butter) by hollowing out a jar and producing a small version of Sesame Street's "The Count" figure, whose favorite food was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (magic words "A la peanut butter sandwiches" - that way, I could explain that The Count must have eaten all the peanut butter, and that's why my sandwich finale only has jelly.

Mumblemore Magic
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
There is nothig wrong with using a real sandwich with peanut butter on it. The kids should not be touching the sandwich anyway. I've done it so many times and never had an issue. I have only heard of one kid with a peanutbutter alergy in all the shows. She had no problems either at the show and I used peanut butter.
Daniel Faith
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Quote:
On 2007-04-21 23:10, Mumblemore wrote:
I have tried to overcome the peanut allergy stigma (you have to pledge to teachers/school authorities now that there's no peanut butter) by hollowing out a jar and producing a small version of Sesame Street's "The Count" figure, whose favorite food was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (magic words "A la peanut butter sandwiches" - that way, I could explain that The Count must have eaten all the peanut butter, and that's why my sandwich finale only has jelly.

Mumblemore Magic

It isn't the Count (whose full name is Count von Count) who says "A La Peanut Butter Sandwiches," it's Mumford the Magician. They both wear capes, though. (It helps to have kids!)
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
To weigh in on the allergies problem that Daniel spoke of. You are asking for trouble my friend. If you ever encounter someone that has really sever allergies then even being near peanut butter or whatever there allergens are could result in anaphylaxis shock. My fiancé has extreme allergies and just being in a room with her triggers can result in an ambulance ride to the hospital. I would say weigh the strength of the effect vs. this possible problem. That is one reason I never use food in my act at all.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2007-04-23 15:49, Daniel Faith wrote:
There is nothig wrong with using a real sandwich with peanut butter on it. The kids should not be touching the sandwich anyway. I've done it so many times and never had an issue. I have only heard of one kid with a peanutbutter alergy in all the shows. She had no problems either at the show and I used peanut butter.

As a teacher (as well as the first aid attendant at our school) this is just wrong. Yes, the kids shouldn't be touching your stuff anyway but they do and could easily come into contact with what they mistake for a "prop" sandwich. For the life of me I can't understand why some folks insist on ignoring the fact that most schools will have at least one student (and likely more) with a peanut allergy.

Quote:
On 2005-03-11 11:20, misterillusion wrote:
I wonder if I should get rid of my milk pitcher too due to dairy allergies.

Since your milk pitcher likely uses OOM I wouldn't think so.

My eight year old daughter visited me at my school today and was concerned that the snack she had may contain nuts and whether she should bring it. This is an eight year old who understands the risks and here we have adults who don't.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Kind of on topic but not really;

Using Norman the spring raccoon a couple of months ago I was getting to the part where I let some of the kids pet him.

Small girl pipes up "I can't stroke him, I'm allergic".
Me "Are you allergic to cats, dogs or Normans?".
Small girl "I'm allergic to nuts and I don't know what he has eaten".

Made me laugh.

I can't imagine using a real sandwich in my shows. Maybe I'm lazy, but I don't use anything than can spill, squish, smell or has a best before date.

George
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I'm with Magic George, I don't like to use things that are messy or have expiration dates.
That being said, any prop is just that, a prop. It's what you do with it. You could buy the biggest "magic glitter box" out there and it's just a prop without the talent behind it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Peanut butter and jelly....overdone? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL