The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Talking/Moving Skull (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
About a year ago I bought a synthetic skull (God only knows why!). I've had it sitting in a chest in my study since then. I've decided its time for old Bones to do something. I've seen a number of talking skulls on the market i.e. where the jaw moves (no sound fortunately!) and I'd like to make one.
So far I've suspended the skull in a small coffin like structure lined with velvet. The jaw already moves freely.
I've tried a bit of IT as well as an experiment with a plate lifter. Does anyone have any other ideas. Also once all of this is done what type of routines work. I struggle to get my mind around the fact that the jaw opens and closes merely to indicate yes or no responses - must be more to it!

Any help would be appreciated!
Simon
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It seems to me that as far as routines are concerned, your part of the world has folklore and legends that really lend themselves to a talking skull.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Just a thought...

We are used to seeing skulls with the jaw attached in the movies and during Halloween, but very often when a real skull is dug out of the ground the jaw has been separated or is broken. Bill's comment on folklore and legends in your part of the world is very valid -- and there have been prehistoric digs up north in Tanzania and elsewhere for years and years. All of which makes me wonder... what if the skull had no jaw, but rocked front-to-back or side to side?

You'll need to age and distress the skull if you go this way, but you can find instructions on how to do this in lots of places on the Web.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
Thanks guys. You are right we do have a lot of folklore here. There is also a lot of history with some of the oldest traces of homanid life being discovered just a few miles from Johannesburg (archeological finds - 4.2 million year old skulls etc). I can already see the story forming revolving around the cursed skull uncovered by archeologists. Maybe this should be moved to the Bizarre section.

Thanks George for the idea on the skull moving rather than talking, that's more believable than a skull with its jaw flapping around. I have been trying to get my head around a few other alternatives such as smoke emanating from the skull, blood from the eye sockets/mouth or eerie controlled lighting from within the skull.
Simon
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
If you get a chance, read the gravedigger scene in Shakespeare's Hamlet (the "Alas poor Yorick" scene). It's amazing how a good actor can summon Yorick right out of that prop skull and make him come alive -- how he related to Hamlet, how Hamlet felt about him, and what it all says about Hamlet's current mental state. Might give you some ideas for your story.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Talking/Moving Skull (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL