The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Anyone who's seen Copperfields show live ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Saw DC last night on Long Island. I've seen him any number of times over the years. Although I enjoyed this smaller show very much, David looked tired and old (and I'm a few years older than he). In some of the the illusions he seemed to be going through the motions, and in the lottery trick he just rattled off the story about his father.

Indeed, at one point after an an ad libbed joke that did not get a laugh, he said as an aside, "I'm tired."

It made me wonder why, after all these years and all that money, he keeps up such a grueling touring schedule.

Bob
Magicjess76
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Magicjess76
I saw DC not too long ago at MGM, I have to say it was AWesome, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting. He seemed to do to many audience participation acts that were each WAY to long. I think DC must hav been having an off night or something because I wasn't impressed by some of the illusions he performed either. The car vanish wasn't even as "quick" as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it was a good show but it definetly wasn't his best.
~Jess
R.T.
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of R.T.
Do you guys think he will take a break from touring? I mean if he is remarking how "tired" he is....what if he took 6 months off and worked on a tv special...he would probobly be rejuvinated to hit the road again, plus the tv special could help market him and a new tour. Just a thought.
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Caught the show at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in Newark last night. (Thanks, Bob Baker, for mentioning above that he was on the East Coast, otherswise I woulda missed it) For anyone in the area, he's doing two more shows tonight before moving on.

It was a great performance - he's still the best, IMO. Here's a detail I loved: they're using the front panel of the Motorcycle Shadow Box as a projection screen at the top of the show, just like the "One" cloth is used at the start of the Tornado of Fire special. Goes to show you never know when you're gonna find a new use for an old prop.

Will
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I saw the show 3 times last year(Thanks Chris!) Once in Vegas and twice around where I live. The car and 13 were in 2 of the shows and not in one show. I asked about this and I was given 2 reasons. The first had to do with the accident. A lot of the props, the car, 13 and others were badly damaged and were sent for repair. So the show was not quite as long and was not as strong. But you have to remember that when you are in this predicament you have to pull old illusions out. Which means that some of the newer cast/dancers won't be familiar with them. So your literally training them right in front of the audience.
And second, the car was a new bit and they liked it. But it still had some kinks to work out. So not every city got to see it. Practice makes perfect.
I am not certain, but it seems that stage size might play a factor. Although, I think Chris and Company could perform an entire show with no backstage area if they had to. Hats off to DC and his crew for bringing magic into the spotlight and showing people their is more to it than just 'tricks'. It is truly an ART!

Chad
closeupmagician
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of closeupmagician
My thoughts on David Copperfield: I saw him perform this past summer in Branson and I intentionally did no research on the show so I would be surprised.
David had already performed once and yet he seemed to be performing the show as if for the first time. It was great. I particularly enjoyed the penetration through the steel plate at the beginning, which often goes unnoticed, the Lotto prediction, which everyone enjoys, and portal. The disappearance for Portal occured directly over our heads and I think that has to be one of the strongest moments in his entire show. I don't see how any other illusionist can ever compare to Copperfield. His magic and presentation are number one. Most illusionists do magic. Copperfield makes you dream. Usually after leaving a show my non magic friends try to figure out the effects. After this show, however, we talked about the effects..not the secrets...just the premise behind each one and the stories. That is what magic is...and that is why Copperfield is the best.
Jaymz023
View Profile
Veteran user
Midwest
356 Posts

Profile of Jaymz023
I just got back from Vegas and saw Copperfield Saturday night. Awsome show! After he did the lottery prediction and Car production, he introduced his father who was about 3-4th row in the center. He looked OLD - probably late 70's at least. After the show a bunch of people went up to him and got pictures and what not.

Now the funny part.

Copperfield produced a jar of pickles and threw 2 out in the crowd-2 girls caught them-one being my wife. So he has them come up on stage and he had my wife write down any thoguht of card on a pad and she held it agianst herself. Then Copperfield asked the baby to tell us the card she wrote down and sure enough, the baby on the screen pulled out the 4 of diamonds. Her jaw dropped-it was so funny.

On her way off the stage she kissed his cheeck and he gave her a signed picture. She was in love haha

Awsome show. Awsome magician. I would go everyday if I could.
Creator of "Re-Attached" an easy piece by piece Torn and Restored card routine.

http://www.lybrary.com/reattached-p-250.html
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Hello..

I saw his show here in Branson this summer...It was phenominal.

I was IN '13' and got Vanished by the man...That was life-changing.

As for 'filler'...The video segment he played while redressing the stage was a bit long, but funny none-the-less.

Great show, great man.

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
p:m
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
230 Posts

Profile of p:m
I saw him at the MGM Grand in May. His show was ove ran hour and he did about 6 big illusions and then some smaller filler stuff. I was second row.
p:m
<BR>www.petermckinnon.com
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
"I saw the show 3 times last year(Thanks Chris!)"

Chris is the man!! What a good guy. Copperfield isn't bad, either LOL

I saw the show twice, literally in the front row, actually special seats were arranged in front of the front row, and that's where I got to sit. If it wasn't for DC I wouldn't be a magician, and my life would be drastically different, so much where I can't even begin to explain. Getting to see the show from this perspective, as if DC were looking right at us the whole time and performing just for us, it's indescribable. Big shout out to Chris for that, he hooked it up quite nicely.

Met David after, too. While he wasn't the most social person, you can't blame the guy. I'm sure if he only had to say hi to 2 people instead of 30 and didn't have a show an hour afterwards he would be a little warmer in his greeting. Needless to say I was like a schoolgirl getting to meet Britany Spears, so it was awesome just to be in his presence.

Bottom line, an amazing show, a living legend of a performer, not much else to say. Go see this show! Ticket prices have dropped in certain locations (maybe all?).
Corey King
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Anyone who's seen Copperfields show live ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL