The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tables? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Hey all,
I am an experienced magician in that I work all the time for lay audiences at private events and in a restaurant but I've never tried street. Someone who is VERY knowledgeable and experienced with street magic told me that I should be doing it here in Philadelphia. I was wondering if you use a table at all and if you do, what type? I am confindant that I can build a crowd and keep them.
Also, I don't know the proper way to hand out the hat at the end of the performance. I would probably use a bigger plastic jug - the type pretzels come in and place some of my own cash in there to begin with...just so people get the hint.
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
Twisted ace ..greetings and good luck
Getting stated in street is .. Just that getting started ... many of our seasoned pros . Gazzo , Jim Celinni , School for Scoundrels, all have fantastic books and or DVDS on the Subject , and if you watch the posts here , you will find a Miriade of informamtion which is also helpful, listen to the folks like Danny Hustle ,Peter Biro,Doc Wilson, Gazzo , Whit Hayden, Tom Frank, Frank Starsnici, and the list goes on , I will tell ya my persoanl experiences with a clear Plastic jug Mind you .. I found that My hats were considerably lower when folks could visually see what everyone else was tossing , I went to the local Novelty shop spent a few bucks and got some funny hats oversized top hat kinda things very colorful easy to keep an eye on .. and I got three .. so I can. when I have those blessed day when I have a BIG crowd I can GTFM , in a hurry by sending the hats in three directions
Good Luck
Keet
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I like that idea keet. It just so happens that I collect big stupid hats as well.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Many street magicians use tables. It is a great way to set yourself apart from the audience. As a performer, you want everyone looking at you, standing behind table lets everyone know exactly who you are, besides the fact that with a table, you can do all the tricks needing a surface, like the C&B.

(I have never done a street performance, but I own Gazzo's Crowd Keeping book, and it is great.)

IMO
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Rmax,
Thanks for the complement on Gazzo's Krowd Keeping book. Danny and I worked hard to impart all the knowledge that Gazzo had (as well as what we had to offer for whatever good that was). In all of Gazzo's books, you get 25 years of experience. Just invaluable.

Also with a table, you can whack the heck out of it with your wand. I was doing that just last night. Good way to get people's eyes turned your way.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
A table gives you a base of operations as well.

My table is portable so I take it everywhere, has a closeup pad on top for performing, a shelf below that allows me to have my props neatly available to perform and then stash back, and a drape all around that provides privacy so I can drop my knapsack with additional effects there also. So it provides a lot of other benefits too.

But what I said first, is probably the most importantthing about the table for me. It gives me a base to operate from.

I spend very little time behind it. But it has signage on it that identifies me, and says "Family Friendly Magic" and the only items that in sight are what I am currently performing.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I am just saying the facts, Jim.

Another note that Jim brought up:

The making noise is also refrenced throughout that book, as well as in his Cups and balls book. One can always bang that big wand, or rings, or cups... on the table. Some street performers flat out use cow bells.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Here's the table I use. I put it on top of a waiter's tray stand.
I have a small leather table servant that attaches to it for ditching
and storing props.

The surface is more durable than normal as I used a fine suede.
The other side is smooth for dice stacking or painting a sign.

It's the 2nd picture

HERE
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
RBerman
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of RBerman
I use a tray jack with a 16 X 36 top made out of 1/4" plywood. Gazzo's table is bigger 24X36 I like the narrower and lighter because it's much easier to carry. Wooden trayjacks are also lighter. I hold the whole thing together with luggage straps.

Don't feel that you HAVE to have a table. If your act doesn't need one, don't use it.

As far as passing the hat. JUST DO IT. I've laid the hat on the ground, on the table, held it in my hand while walking around and looking each person in the eye. Make lots of hat jokes. Get Gazzo's book on one liners. I've used a hat and a bucket.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Back to one basic that you will read/hear everywhere from Cellini to Gazzo and some of the rest of us fakers; Don't wait till the end to let them know about the hat.

Start in your intro and tell tell then why you do it. Cellini makes a joke of it; but makes the point to start. Then as you go through your routine make references to the hat in a light hearted way. This is really a matter of performing personality as to how you do it. Some can get away being very bold, (Gazzo?) and some need to soften it as they talk about money.

After a particularly good audience response, I say, "Thanks so much!. I know that at the end of my show you will want to show your appreciation by giving gold jewelry and precious stones, but paper curency is OK. And I prefer $5's and $10's from those of you who had a good time, and $20's or higher for those enjoyed it all as much I did." This gets a laugh, but still makes the point that I am there for two reasons; to entertain, and be paid.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

You could let them know to "get out a $10 spot now becuase if you don't you'll be wanting to give me $20s and I don't want to make you do that. So let me help you fight off the urge. Get the small bills in your hands early."

What do you think of the psychology of this ploy. Encouraging them to get out money and be ready early.

I don't do that but the thought has occured to me as a possibility.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I hope you're all having fun! If everyone who is enjoying the show can afford to give me $5-$10 I can go back to college...then again if everyone who is enjoying the show can afford to give $20 I won't have to go back! Eric Mead says this on the Stevenson's Bar Magic DvD and it's wonderful line.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

That's very good. I've never seen eric perform.
I've only seen him just chat on the workers videos.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tables? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL