The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Wanted Review for- Cointopia by Kainoa Harbottle (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
How does this book differ from Coins On Edge?
Does the routines still involve the Edge Grip and Mutobe palm as the base palm?
How are the routines?
I'm interested in this book and would love to hear a THOROUGH review on this amazing book. Smile
thank you Smile
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
26 views and still no reviews?

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
I think 20 of those are just me to see if anyone has put a review on yet.....
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Coins on Edge and Cointopia are both ,as you should have already heard, contain revolutionary applications for Edge Grip and Motobe Palm. I have had both manuscripts for several months and have found most of the material to be practical, and easily convertible into the routines I've already been working on.

The Flying Wombat is still one of my favorite effects as a simple coin vanish. Delayed Expectations is an excellent table hopping routine. Pendulum Hanging Coins currently my favorite version of the plot as it allows you to hang coins with both hands, not just hanging the coins in the same hand time and time again.

Heres the link to see Pendulum Haning Coins: http://kainoaland.com/hsindex.html

Click on Products Coin Icon on the left side of the screen. Scroll down until you come to the picture of Kainoa in black and white and follow the instructions to the left hand side of the picture and you'll see the routine in action.....

As far as the sleights themselves are concerned, I think that MOST of the material is with the range of the average coin worker. However, there are several knuckle busters located throughout the book. The Edge Grip to Edge Grip Transfers described have kept me up late nights. One of the most useful sleights for my particular performance style would be the X for XX-Change. I have adapted the sleight for changing over a jumbo coin in Tenkai with a half as opposed to the way described.

All in all, Both Coins on Edge and Cointopia are both worthwhile texts containing material valuable to the working performer, enthusiastic hobbyist, or serious student of coin magic.

Sorry I couldn't be more descriptive, but Kainoas work speaks for itself.......I hope you pick it up.

Bye the way, A Petite Pamphlet on Pasteboards is Kainoas' excellent book on card magic.....buy em all.......lol

Eric Jones
Prestidigitator
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Thanks Godhandz. I know Kainoa's stuff is killer and I am sure to get some of these right away. Smile

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Kainoa's work is worth getting over the intimidation resulting from some of his deceptive knuckle busting routines. There are treasures in his mind that he succeeds puttin in our human hands.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Kainoa has explored new paths for the edge grip, by changing the position of the coins in edge grip position. The flexibility allows him to do things before not possible, and the book details his new ideas. You can see some of his work as well in the New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD series. His books are a must have for any intermediate to advanced coin worker. but are not recommended for beginners.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
Very simple: If you are interested in coin work, get it. No hesitation. Excellently written (writing and literature is his day job), full of valuable sleights, routines and insight.

For me, my most frequently read and re-read material is from Kainoa - specifically Coins on Edge.

Coins on Edge - obligatory.
Cointopia - just get it.
his two Coinapalooza manuscripts (shells and international) - depends on how much you want to use gaffs etc. I can give more detail if required, but its probably already covered here on the Café.
Trifectas - you already need quite a bit of literature (which you should have) before this is worth the purchase. But its great fun.

Simply a no-brainer for me.

Oh and buy EVERYTHING Eric Jones puts out.

Buying stuff for coin magic in general used to be patchy for me until I finally, after many years, worked out who the go-to people were.

Forgive me for not mentioning greats here - this simply reflects my own personal journey in figuring out what I wanted to do in coin magic.

For the sake of completeness, here are the titles in Cointopia:

Air Click
Using NW palm and EG to affect a click-pass (I still can't do it well - but that says little)

Plural Push-through Changeover
Transferring a stack in edge grip from hand to hand with a natural covering action

Slapping Mutobe
Utilizing the stability of the Mutobe to emphasise the emptiness of a hand and more

Slapping & Compliments
Vanishing sequence using much of the above

Upside Down Spellbound
Speaks for itself, but (IMO) looks more magical

J.W. Grip Spellbound
This minimal review means I won't expand on the title

Mutobe-esque Spellbound
And again...

Fingertip Muscle Pass
One day it just works and you have a big grin on your face - see other Café threads.

Rolling Stone
Sorry - not reading the manuscript right now and do not have a good recollection

Wolverine
8-coin production sequence flourish (not my thing so not much to say here)

Lawrence
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Wanted Review for- Cointopia by Kainoa Harbottle (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL