The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Flag Staff Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
In a separate thread http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=54
Don Murphy wrote

Quote:
On 2004-09-22 17:47, Donald Dunphy wrote:
You're right, probably made in India.

I think that this is the same model that Duane Laflin sells. I purchased 2 from Duane, but with multi-color flags instead of American flags (changed the price). http://www.laflinmagic.com/cgi-bin/web_s......atch=on Production Flagstaffs from Laflin Magic, two types of flags available.

I have acquired said Flag Staff. It looks good and I really like the Silk USA flag that came with it.

I have only tried it out a few times and have some questions if any one can help:

Other than "gently rapping it on a table" have you been able to close it easily? The two sections nearest the top (the thinnest ones) always seem to stick.

The instructions mention using a band of tissue paper to hold things ready. I am guessing that you cut a strip to wind around and then use a small piece of tape to hold it in place. Any other ideas as to how to accomplish this? I am thinking about making a "sleeve" to hold it ready. The sleeve would be left behind when the staff is pulled out.

It seem to me the best way to produce this is to:
A) First make sure you won't hit anything.
B) Pull it out quickly swing the flag out and open.
C) Continue the swing turning in a cicle to full show the flag off. By doing this you will keep it open and waving as opposed to just hanging down from the staff.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce

P.S. I have two sets, one is unopend, any interest out there?
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The original models I purchased from Abbott's years ago. Work the same. They also 'stuck' as you have discribed. This is the proper way they work. To close, only tap the large end on the floor or table to close the staff. Anything else will bend the staff.

The way I and other magicians have used this production is to just fold the flag and lay the staff on top of the flag. This is place in or on your table behind something, a silk across the table will hide it. With misdirection, just grab hold of the staff and swing as you have discribed. Being you have 2, use it as well for the other hand. Makes a good Finale.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Thanks bill
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
BJ Mallen
View Profile
New user
Colon, MI
37 Posts

Profile of BJ Mallen
The Abbott Collapsible Staffs are available and on page 372 of current catalog #26. The Large staff will display a 6'x 6' silk, the small a 6' x 3' silk. The large with silk retails for $500 (the catalogue has a misprint) and the small retails with silk for $415.
Both are also available without the silk.

BJ Mallen
Abbott's Magic Company
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2005-03-17 13:52, fccfp wrote:
I have acquired said Flag Staff. It looks good and I really like the Silk USA flag that came with it.

I have only tried it out a few times and have some questions if any one can help:

Other than "gently rapping it on a table" have you been able to close it easily? The two sections nearest the top (the thinnest ones) always seem to stick.

The instructions mention using a band of tissue paper to hold things ready. I am guessing that you cut a strip to wind around and then use a small piece of tape to hold it in place. Any other ideas as to how to accomplish this? I am thinking about making a "sleeve" to hold it ready. The sleeve would be left behind when the staff is pulled out.

It seem to me the best way to produce this is to:
A) First make sure you won't hit anything.
B) Pull it out quickly swing the flag out and open.
C) Continue the swing turning in a cicle to full show the flag off. By doing this you will keep it open and waving as opposed to just hanging down from the staff.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce

P.S. I have two sets, one is unopend, any interest out there?

Hi Bruce -

You already have some excellent advice on how to deal with the jamming problem. It happens on my set, too, as I mentioned on the other thread. One flagstaff seems to jam up more often than the other.

As for wrapping them, I didn't use tissue paper, but rather an idea I got from watching Richard Hughes' feather flower video. He wraps a sleeve bouquet with a silk. I use this method in my show for the bouquets, but also tried it for the flagstaffs. It works well. Lay the 18" silk open, then lay the bundled / folded flag on it, and the staff diagonally on top (should run corner to corner diagonally). Then, fold one corner sideways over towards the opposite diagonal corner. Then roll semi tightly. To produce, pull out the bottom, like it was a sleeve. (Hope I am not revealing anything in posting this.)

Another tip I have is that the flag staff tended to twist (sections), so I tie a single black thread loop around the outside of the eyelets. It hold the sections in place in the bundle (so they don't twist), and as you are pulling out, and snapping the flag open, the thread will break.

I seem to recall that on one of Duane Laflin's videos, he demonstrates his way of doing the production, with a downwards pull, and a snap of the wrist out to the side (as opposed to at the audience). That's where I learned my method from.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Donald,
What I am getting from your post is that you don't wrap the folded flag around the collapsed staff as it says in the instructions.

I like the idea with the thread, I will try it.

Have you tried it as a body load? I was thinking of just putting it in my inside breast pocket, stealing it under cover and then snaping it open away from me & audiance. I seem to have best luck if I turn around as I open it so that the flag waves as it is produced.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Bruce -

That's right. I fold the flag into a bundle, then lay the staff on top of it. Then the whole thing gets wrapped in the extra silk like I described. This makes the flag somewhat partly wrap around the staff, but more like a hot dog bun wraps around a hot dog wiener, and then wrapping a paper towel completly around the bun.

I tried a thread around everything instead of a silk, but it wouldn't hold together securely enough. Either that, or wouldn't snap at the right time, if it held together.

If you would like to talk steal methods and production methods via PM, just contact me that way. I have a sneaking suspicion that we are discussing too much out in the open forum just now. Thanks. Smile

- Donald
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Donald,

If everyone went around explaining things that well, we wouldn't have a storage problem with magic that we can almost use.

Thanks!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thank you for the compliment, Bob. Smile It's nice to be appreciated.

- Donald
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Donald,

We appreciate you. We just really make you work for it sometimes. Hang in there!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Flag Staff Production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL