The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jargon to help Mentalists (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
I was reading the topic (In)credible) when a thought came to me
Perhaps it is hard to describe the effect of Mentalism effects because people are being too polarised i.e Believable versus Unbelievable with Unbelievable used by some people as meaning Impossible (It could also mean Don't do this because people will just laugh)
There are lots of levels in between:
Can't understand
Strange powers
Shocking
Don't know how
Start your own religion
Mental trick
Mental Magic
There seems to be no standard way to grade Mentalism and describe the various effects
We could do with at least 20 grades in between Impossible and Believable
There are lots of jargon and hidden ways we use to stop lay people knowing what we are talking about i.e ..... and ID and I........ D...
So why not have some way of describing an effect so that other Mentalists know EXACTLY what you mean then they will know how good or bad the effect is, if it is the type of effect fits in with their persona, what effect it will have on the lays and if it is is worth buying
Then we could ask dealers to stick to the gradings strictly when describing their
goods LOL
Any suggestions
TJ
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
It is silly really is it not.

When someone here talks about your audience thinking that what you do is 'real', it get confusing. Some mean 'real' as in psychic/paranormal, and some mean real as in the real sence, that it was real, not an illusion. Some mena real as in real at something else, i.e. Derren Brown's 'method' for reading minds. Its real but not paranormal.

I could go on, but I agree we should set up some kind of dictionery of menaings.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jargon to help Mentalists (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL