The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The Musketeers--An Assembly routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brandon Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Louis, Missouri
293 Posts

Profile of Brandon Delgado
Not long ago, I became overly fascinated by assembly routines. I’m not sure why, but during this phase in my magical life, I managed to come up with the following routine for an assembly. I'm not sure if it is original or not, but I thought it was a good idea. It is an odd-backed assembly routine, with a “Three Musketeers” theme. I use blue-backed jacks as the cards to be assembled, and the indifferent cards are red-backed. Let me know what you think of this idea, and any suggestions on improving the patter are welcomed. The patter is in italics, with the apparent actions following in normal text (not the method, just what appears to happen).

The year is 1625. The Musketeers, loyal guards to King Louis XIII, have been disbanded by order of the Cardinal Richelieu. However, three of the Musketeers, Athos, Porthos and Aramis have not come forward to surrender their weapons, and remain unaccounted for. Spread the top three cards (jacks) of the blue-backed deck and display them to the audience. Lay them face down on the table in a row, and set the deck aside.
The Cardinal sends several of his own guards to capture the three. Each Musketeer is locked in a cell with three guards on watch for each cell. Display the red deck as you mention the Cardinal’s guards. Spread three cards off the top of the deck, display them briefly to the spectators, and place them face down on top of the first tabled card, squaring the packet. Repeat this sequence for the other two cards. Set the red-backed deck aside.
Upon hearing of the capture, the young D'Artagnan, a friend of the Musketeers, sends plans for escape. Turn the top card of the blue-backed deck face up on top of the deck.
The Cardinal discovers the plot and has the plans intercepted. He smugly goes to the cells to inform the Musketeers that their plans for escape have failed, only to discover that they are already gone! Pick up the tabled packets one at a time and count or spread to show the blue-backed jacks have vanished.
The Cardinal quickly returns to his chambers to find D’Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis, with the rest of the Musketeers, waiting for him and shouting at the top of their lungs: ‘All for one, and one for all!’ Spread over the top face-up card of the blue-backed deck to reveal the other three face-up jacks underneath.

Brandon
Magicman8
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
113 Posts

Profile of Magicman8
Awesome! I have a method for an assembly that would fit perfect here! Do you mind if I add this to my routine? I would love to perform this at rennaisance festivals.

Matthias
We go through life backwards. The past is visible and the future is cloudy, it seems we are walking backwards.-- Terry Pratchet
Brandon Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Louis, Missouri
293 Posts

Profile of Brandon Delgado
Sure, no problem. When I wrote out the script, I immediately thought about Ren festival performers and how this would fit very nicely. I thought I would share it since someone like you could probably use it much more than I actually do. Have fun with it.

Brandon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The Musketeers--An Assembly routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL