The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Price shoppers. How to inspire them to spend a bit more. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
Today is the second day that my ad has been in the local parent's magazine.

I've already gotten 3 email inquiries and 3 phone enquiries. One possible booking.

My price range is mid to upper range and I can't compete with the ones who just dress like a clown or who are only entertaining for a bit of pocket money on the weekend. Especially if the caller is only interested in price.

I asked a restaurant that hires lots of entertainers to evaluate my price range in comparison to my skill and they said that I'm highly skilled and therefore have set my prices with a very good reflection of what I offer. In other words I got it right. They also said that they'd rather pay a little more for good quality entertainment than to get the "cheap and nasty".

If only I could use that line in a phone conversation.

But I will not denigrate the competition.

Dwell on the positive, is what I say.

I've been telling people a bit about my act, and how I ensure that all laughter is directed toward me not the volunteers.

"Much of the magic actually happens in the hands of the volunteers. When I try to make a knot disappear, it actually gets bigger, by about 20 times! I get a big person to pull on it and nothing, then I get a small person to do the same and the knot comes completely undone."

This usually gets people interested in what I can do, and want to see it themselves.

What do you find works for getting the booking?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I give a speil that makes evident that I have a special understanding of kids and rapore with them. Also, I throw different price points at them for different shows I offer. Also, I want to be able to mail or email them my flyers so I can sell them on the show with pictures and more text.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
All of the following:

Always refer them to your website (which should NOT discuss prices) - it should contain a description of everything they get (a list of everything that happens in your show) - a list of your various-length shows (you DO have some less-expensive and shorter options, don't you?) - color pix - video would be very nice (best option: a 2-4 minute edited "commercial", I can give you some technical ideas here) - and a couple of arguments in favor of buying the deluxe product (you) and, from the other perspective, how they can afford you. Give her a reason to browse - a free party-planner page is good.

In your phone discussion (you should have a "script" of sorts) be sure to emphasize BENEFITS, not FEATURES (the parent doesn't care about that 20-times-size knot, she cares that you will make her kid the star).
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It is never about what you can do.. but it is way more about what you can directly do for THEM!! This means that you need to offer them and get them to NOT just see you as a product. You need them to see you as a person who knows their problems and one who can offer them solutions to their problems.

Once you know their problems and offer them solutions, then your perceived value goes up in their mind. You are no longer like everyone else cause you can meet their needs and solve problems others are not willing to do. This perceived value grows with your client relationship and therefor you are worth more to them.

Also, as Ross points out, do not just list your features and what they get. You must also guve the the BENEFITS of what these features can do for them. Features highlighted and backed up with the benefits, becomes a much stronger and more powerful marketing tool when used the right way.

A parent has needs. These needs can range from, how do I handle 20 kids for 3 hours to... What different ways can I have fun with the children so my son or daughter will have the best day ever? These are real problems and concerns that a parent might have. If you can lock into these concerns, show them that you understand them, and then offer solutions to meet these problems, then they really will listen to you much more. You suddenly are not just another magician.

When you are on the phone, always remember to try and listen to them as well. I always try to ask a few short questions. This is aimed at getting them to talk to me. When they do, I simply listen to them. Half the time, they will tell me things that are a concern to them. This way I can really understand their needs more and can offer them the best solution that fits their specific party.

Like others, I may also tell them about my website where they can go for further information and tell them about my online form for further information. I may ask if they would like more information mailed to them. I offer ways in which they can find out more about me and I also do this so it is a sort of call to action to get them enticed to take the next step.

I also try to be an active marketer. This means I try to get some of their information or e-mail if I can. This way I can enter their information into my database, send them a thank you e-mail or postcard and stay on top of the situation. If I am not thinking actively but passively, then I have to give up a lot of the control I seek.

Hope this helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
Wow, Ross, that's quite a list you've got on your web site.

I hope I'm not one of those "other guys".

Well, I try to be the best I can be.

You're absolutely right about talking what I can do FOR them.

I like the way you've worked it all out, emphasizing all the aspects of hiring an entertainer.

Kyle, as usual, your advice is most excellent. It's really an art, being able to make a connection with the caller, and give them the confidence in you and what you offer.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
For me, when I know that the parents are looking for cheap entertainers, I won't even want to waste my time because my next call could be a parent who can afford me.

Sometimes, you do get parents who said, "Entertainer A charges $50 less than you, how can you charge more?"

Someone gave me this as an answer template, it's great.

Just say, "Well, Entertainer A charges what he is worth, I'm charging what I'm worth."

Guess what? I get the job at my price. Smile
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
Good line Joseph!

It can be difficult to say those things without sounding conceited, but it's generally the truth, as most people find the level that the market supports and stop at the resistance level.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
You will get price shoppers and epsecially get them with any type of ad you do since this is a direct form of passive advertising. The best thing you can do for yourself is to not dwell so much on you and what you do, but try to listen to them and direct your questions to getting them to talk about their own needs.

Once you do this, it takes the heat off of the price question. It also gives you the opportunity to directly answer and meet the needs that they have by providing solutions for them that solve their needs. You do this and suddenyl you are not just magician number 5 that they called. You are setting yourself up and being perceived differently by them.

Another thing we must realize is that people usually ask the pricing question because they simply do not know what else to ask. They have never used or talked to a magician before and so this is a safe way to get you talking. This is your time to take control of the conversation and steer it in directions that benfits both you and them.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
I've seen you say this a few times, and how you offer solutions.

I wish I could do that but I can barely come up with solutions for my own problems.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The paying public buys Acme Brands, cheap items and it works for them, so this is why they apply this to hiring a magician.

Another possibility is that I went to your web site, "I want a magician, not a clown" mentality applies here. As for a clown, your website is great and says a lot about what you do. Do the same as a magician and you seperate the Magician from the Clown.

If you have a magic site, I didn't find it in any search engine, the "clown you" but not the "magic you".

People will spend more if they preceive they are getting thier money's worth, such as floating their child and their child produces a rabbit, and you use music, or a mini-theater like atmosphere, or every child receives a balloon animal or the birthday child receives a gift and a certificate for assisting the magician. Pick you uniqueness and use it to the best of your ability. Convince the customer that no other area magician has ("fill in the blank here") and their child will love them for providing it to them.

Salemanship is the business end of a magician.
Dennis Michael
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Den is right. People will gladly pay you more if they feel you have greater perceived value to them. If they feel you are meeting and fulfilling their needs through solutions, then they will gladly pay the price you ask for and then some.

The idea is for you to get used to asking questions that gets them talking. These questions and getting them talking is the key. Too many times, they call, the magician talks for 5 mins and they say yeah or nay. I do not do this. I try to get them talking more then me and let them ask the questions. This way I am engaging them and getting them to tell me what they are looking for and how best I can help them. This is the key.

When they start talking to you, you LISTEN to them. They will start talking about things they want to have happen and you listen and latch on to anything you hear that is a concern for them or that you feel your show can solve for them.

Another thing people do that they make mistakes on is the fact that they spend so much time on the features of their show without taking the time to tell them the BENEFITS this has directly for them.

Features are wonderful. But, if you can tell them that you providing goody bags allows them more time to relax that day and enjoy the fun experience of their child's b-day, then all of a sudden this feature has a direct benefit to them that they can now relate to. It is not the fact that you have goody bags. It is the fact that the goody bags can ease them from having to do it, will save them time, will look great for the kids and allow them more time to relax that day. This is the way to solve their needs and offer solutions for them.

Hope this may help.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
To answer Dennis: I don't have a "magic site" yet, although I've registered http://www.tomstevens.com.au and plan to have one there eventually.

My ad is "Clown Magic Shows" and in the ad there is a nice ad phrase which I took a while to formulate, but suffice it to say that it promotes how their child's special day will be emphasized.

Kyle, I don't feel like I can guarantee or should promise that their day will be more relaxing at any point as a result of anything I do, even though I have just about always been able to keep the kids entertained for the entire duration of my show, whether it is 30 or 45 minutes. There are too many variables, usually about 20 or 30 little screaming ones.

I had a call yesterday, and tried to change my usual spiel to not talking so much about the features, and I did a bit too much ummming and awwing. I realised that before when I would start talking about the show it wasn't the effects that made people interested in hiring me, but rather that they could hear the enthusiasm in my voice and could start getting the picture that it was going to be a real fun show.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Quote:
...they could hear the enthusiasm in my voice and could start getting the picture that it was going to be a real fun show.

Now you've stumbled on the real secret of salesmanship, selling yourself. If you are enthused about your show and excited about what you have to offer, most of the sale is done.

Laughter breeds laughter, so does excitement and enthusium. One may like/love what they do, but if that is not conveyed to the buyer, a sale slips by.

The above quote is one of the most powerful marketing techniques and you just reminded me that it is not discussed often here on the Café.

This also applies to routines. A classic example is the Vanishing Bandana, without the excitement of getting a new trick in the mail and the enthusium of doing it for the first time, a lot of set up for the ensuing laughter is lost. You are excited and so is your audience, the comedy twist is your surprise, and facial expressions of that gooey squished banana.

As for the new web site, focus on magic and play down the clown...You have a great clown site. See which brings in the more money and the one that is more desirable for the buyer. No need to have two clown site. A friend stopped her make-up and got more money as a magician than a clown. She did the same act (for the most part) and got many new customers.

It can be a "double wammy" for you!
Dennis Michael
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I agree with Den on this one totally. I told a lady yesterday "you'll have a great time, people love my show!" I then tell her some of what a show is like and some of the responses I thought were funny from kids like "is Vern a robot?" or "are you a real wizard?". I make my prospect laugh, and they start to get a picture of who I am and what I do. She bought two shows instead of one! The love we have of what we do really comes through to a customer. It also rubs off on others they talk about you to.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I also agree with Den to on this point. However, my point about listening and learning to listen to your client is also a strong point. I am not saying NOT to sell yourself. You simply have to do that and show enthusiam when you do so. You must also sell your features of the show as well.

However, what I AM saying is that you can also try and sell them on the benefits of the show. Listen to them and ask a few questions that gets them talking. Now this takes practice and you may not feel comfortable at first doing it. It comes with practice. If you get them talking, you can then find out a lot more from your client that will allow you to be able to offer them even more of the right answers and needs they are looking for. You simply will not know what they need and what their real problems are uinless you ask and listen. It is as simple as that.

You can indeed tell them that something you do will have a direct impact on them. If their issue is that they have never had a magician before and have no idea how to run a b-day party, then you know right there that their are many many things you can do that will make their day easier and benefit them directly in a positive way. There also is no reason why you can not tell them this. Afterall, you are also a problem solver. They are coming to you to help solve a problem and a need they have. Let them know in what ways you can meet these needs.

If you find yourself too busy umming and awwing, it is because you have not done a new way of talking before. You are new to this approach and it takes time. A good idea is to get in the habit of writing out your sales pitch or speech ahead of time. Keep this buy the phone so you can reference it at any time. If you are tired or caught off guard, it is there at all times to help remind you of what to say and what to ask a prospect. It is a tool that will help you make something new become a habit.

Now Chris is doing somehting nice here in that he is at first talking with the client, telling her about the show and what he brings to the table that makes him different, he is getting them enthusiatic about the show and making them feel at ease. It is at THIS point when you can switch gears if you should choose to to get to talk more about what their needs are and how you can help them out. They already are laughing, they trust you. You can bring up some of the options of your packages available to them and how this might help them etc.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
Thanks Den, for the thumbs up.

I'm not quite ready to perform as a "magician". I've worked hard on developping a clown character and all my routines are comedy oriented.

I'm certain that it would be easy to use the same routines as a "magician", I've performed my show twice in a Pirate costume, and twice in a Wizard costume, both were very successful (I don't like doing things that aren't).

I just would like to have stronger routines when performing as a "magician".
Floating the birthday child sounds like a terriffic one.

Kyle, I'm still keeping your advice in mind but I'll keep doing what I've been finding successful, while trying to improve my listening skills, and find ways to point out how I can help provide solutions.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
That is all anyone can do is practice some ideas, try them out and see what works best for him or herself. I wish you the best with it. Like anything, it just takes action to get where you are going. It appoears you are already taking this action and that is always a good thing. Smile

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Price shoppers. How to inspire them to spend a bit more. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL