The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » I have a Bone to Pick With The Media (Tongue In Cheek)...lol. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Okay, as far as reality shows, goes...ECT, such as American Idol, The Starlet, Making The Band, The Apprentice, and so on, what about the same competitions for Magicians? Yes, I know we have our own competetions, but wouldn't it be great to televise them, as the singers do...ECT? I'm not sure, what the reward would be, (perhaps, a contract, at the Magic Castle, or In Vegas), but I just think it would be a great idea. I mean, I miss Mondo Magic, the Blaine Specials were great as they re-newed a interest in Magic, but what if we had our own competetion, with behind the scenes (WITHOUT GIVING SECRETS AWAY OF COURSE). I just think it would be great if we has 3-5 judges go across the U.S., and (or) other countries too, and get the top 25 or so, of "unknowns" to compete. Then like American Idol, after their performance get critiqued. I mean not to "copy" American Idol, but wouldn't that be great, and a "Lift" to the Magic Community and to out ART? We could have like a judge who is Blunt such as Simon Caldwell, and a "Nicer" judge such as Paula Abdul. The Catogories, could be stage, close-up, caberate...ECT, you know. Also who would you pick as judges? I really think this couls be done WITHOUT EXPOSURE. Look, I'm not a big reality fan, but it might be nice for Magic. Personally, I would pick, as Judges, Michael Ammar. I picture him as being kind of the Paula Abdul "NIce" judge, just judging from his teaching style. Lance Burton, I think would be a great "Middle Of The Road Judge". As far as the BLUNT, no nonsense, judge, I really don't know, who would fit that slot, as my videos show niceness from the teaching. YES I know all videos I guess, you have to be nice and encouraging. My thoughts for the blunt judge (This Is NOT A Judgement On ANY Magicians) Martin Nash, maybe Harry Lorayne...I DON'T KNOW. Those are thoughts. They seem to be tell it as it is people to me at least. The Show would be like, you have a house where they live together, go through stuff together, practice...ECT. Look, I'm not trying to TRASH MAGIC, at all, like some of these shows do, but just to bring it more to the public's eye. This is just my humble opinion. I just get sick and tired of all of this singing (WHICH TAKES TALENT NO DOUBT), and so on. I'd just like to see a reality show with competing Magicians. I think it can be done, the critiques...ECT, without divulging secrets. To US MAGICIANS, we may "GET" the "LINGO" but others won't. What are your thoughts? Respectfully, Ed, (Eddini)
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Frankly, I don't think it would be a good idea at all.

Look at American Idol...they love showing people trying out who just plain aren't any good. Do you really want people laughing at unpracticed magicians? Not just that, but those same magicians would most likely be screwing up so now we have exposure to deal with.

Nobody takes the winners of any of these reality shows seriously. Why throw ourselves in that arena? I know I wouldn't try out for such a thing.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Thanks for your reply. I guess, I'm just saying, I wish we had more Magic on T.V., and that our Craft gets more reconized as a art. As far as the exposure, people would have to audition to even get on the show, and it would be in such a way as the critiqueing isn't exposure such as "Your Double Lift" needs more work. It's just a idea is all. Or maybe, the competions we do have gets on T.V. I think Segfried & Roy, and Lance Burton Have Competitions. I'm not sure if they get technical though as far as the critigueing goes, or if they just judged flatly. I guess, I just get tired of "JUST" seeing singing (Actually, I've only seened American Idol maybe 3-5 times in my life), these Bachelour show, and so on, not that I watch them. I do like Wife Swap, The Starlet, The Osbournes, The Real World, and Big Brother, but that's it really. I miss the World's Greatest Magic Series. I just wish people "Lay People" knew the work, and practice it goes into it (NOT that I think all lay-people don't) but WITHOUT exposing ANYTHING. Like I said, I think it could be possible. Just my Humble Opinion Is All. Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-04-02 14:50, irishguy wrote:
Do you really want people laughing at unpracticed magicians?

He he. It is happening the world over, and not just unpracticed ones either...
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I'd agree with Irishguy that the typical format wouldn't work. For me, the best part of American Idol is the first half, with the lunatics who can't sing, but think they're the next Sinatra. In magic, this would be disastrous. How many Blaine wanna-bes with rising card decks would that be?

Instead, wouldn't it be cool to see FISM televised? Heck, even ESPN2 might run it.

I miss WGM too Eddini. One complaint I'd have about that series though, is that they fell for the sensationalistic TV trap of having to label every single segment or act with a superlative of some sort: fastest, best, biggest, etc... I know we're in a business that has always been about promotion, but sometimes I like letting the act speak for itself, rather than relying on the commentator to tell me how good it is. Minor complaint in an otherwise fine series. Mac King rules.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
There was recently a competition or 2 on TV I hear(i don't live in the US). I believe Nathan Burton was in one and Dan Birch in another. Although these weren't magic competitions they had magicians in them.
Nick
Mr_Matthew_Charles
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
33 Posts

Profile of Mr_Matthew_Charles
You would end up seeing the same tricks over and over. There could be the outcome that magic becomes HUGELY popular, but I like magic being a niche thing, if everyone got into magic it would be no fun to perform. The other outcome would be that the show sucks, then the public will look upon magic badly and no one wants that
If you don't have enimies then you don't have character
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Id love to watch it, but I also like magic because its quite a unique hobby, I don't want everyon doing it and giving magic a bad name.

ollie
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Is magic something the public wants to see go mainstream or is it more of a magicians need?
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Quote:
On 2005-05-01 20:18, peppermeat2000 wrote:
Is magic something the public wants to see go mainstream or is it more of a magicians need?

id say both
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » I have a Bone to Pick With The Media (Tongue In Cheek)...lol. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL