The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Wondermagnets on the way (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
345 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
I have just ordered two mega strong magnets from Wondermagnets
dimensions: 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/8"

They are super powerful nickel plated Neodymium Iron Boron block magnets of very impressive size and strength. One of these magnets will lift over 100 pounds of iron!

I can't wait to get my hands on them.

Regards Alan

PS anyone looking to buy a Bat or Raven?
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Don't get hurt! (I'm serious...)

If they can each lift 100 lbs, then getting a finger between them would be like stacking 200 lbs on it.

I don't know what use you may have in mind, but think it through carefully before you try it. And don't get anything you value in between them!
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
And don't accidentally let them get stuck together. The two snapping into each other can shatter your investment. Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
TiendaMagia
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
134 Posts

Profile of TiendaMagia
Hi there,
Anyone know how much weight the micro5 can lift and ...is it a nickel Neodymium magnet too?
thanks a lot.
Cordially

Mariano Sosa

Magic Store in Europe

http://www.tiendamagia.com

Foro de magia en Castellano!

www.magiapotagia.com
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
345 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
I got the two magnets from Wondermagnet and they are dangerous!!!!.

They arived stuck together on the side and I couldnt get them apart.

One can lift 50KG or 100lbs....

I have ordered the book from Chazpro with the routines, gimmicks etc.

I only went to the Chazpro site after the magnets had arrived, so did not know about the book until yesterday.

I can raise a UK 2 pence coin up on its edge right through my wrist, and I have thick wrists.
Its very strong indeed.

Great for doing evil things to horrible people annoying me around the piano!!!

Regards Alan
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I was looking at the same ones yesterday and today. Would you recommend the smaller 3/4"x 3/4" x 1/4" or do you think a single one like you have is enough?

BTW, how is the new Piano gig working out and what kinds of effects are you doing for the specs?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
345 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
Hi Kingstardog,
I bought two of the larger ones, having not seen the 3/4 X 1/4 I cant comment on them.

I like the idea of two large as they could be put together and create a mega strong magnet when needed.

I have started to market the mobile pianobar concept to hotels, restaurants, pubs, conventions etc, only very recently.
Its a straight musical service, the piano is not gimmicked in any way... but of course when the opportunity presents itself I will have no hesitation in doing some magic, but I am not marketing it as that.
Magic is a bit thin on the ground here in Norway and as an entertainment form close up etc...its virtually unheard of.

You can see some pictures etc on my web site under the link " Mobil Pianobar".

Regards Alan

http://www.alanzmuzik.com
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Looks like a very nice, upscale type of service. Ok, you have two of the big ones, after handling them do you think one would be enough, or should I go for two as well?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Hi Pianoman,

It occurs to me that when you put two magnets together, you don't get twice the strength.

I remember asking some expert about that one time for a similar project.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
One of the big ones is coming my way.

Cheaptrick,
I don't know about these neos but some types do multiply in strength. I think its the shape and materials that count. I think its ceramic that does it.
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
345 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
I have had a few Bats and two Ravens over the years and recently was given two small round disc magnets from a mate in Scotland who tells me they were taken from a hard drive.

Anyway..... I have tested the strength of the Bat under a given thickness of table.... then added the two small disc magnets discussed above onto the Bat and I can catagorically state the combined strength is stronger than the Bat/ discs alone.

I have no knowledge of magnets except I love playing around with them.

I have not checked the combined strength of the two new Mega magnets yet.... so cant say for sure if they will be twice as strong, but getting them apart meant going out to the workshop and fixing one magnet stationary whilst pushing the other with all my force in a sideways motion using a piece of 2 X 1 wood.... enabeling my fingers to be well out the way.

I first thought about putting them in a vice until they were ripped out my fingers and adjoined the vice quicker than you can say Jack Robinson, and it was a real job the get them off the vice.

Be carefull out there with these magnets.

Regards Alan
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
You don't get an exact multiplier of strength when you put the magnets together, but you definitely get more strength from them.

I am sure there is a formula for figuring the multiplier, but mostly you can just experiment until you get what you need.

Now it is definitely different, if you are trying to get two magnets apart. Because you are resisting against the full power of two magnets.

And as stated by Pianoman, watch your fingers with those big ones...

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
345 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
I was working at the weekend doing a piano vocals gig and started playing around under the table with the Large 1" magnet from wondermagnets and I found that if the positioning is correct I could attract the food end of the fork down to the table top ... the effects being that it looked very much like someone had lifted it up the fork to eat.
The handle end was 8cm off the table top and the tines were flattend out perfectly against the tabletop.

It was a great display and didnt have that " magnet induced movement look" about it and controlled properly I could get it to rise very slowly adding to the effect.

Try it and feel free to us it, but never ever, ever abuse it.

The boys a poet...and he dosent even knowit!!!!.

Regards Alan
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
But can it fling a carefully balanced steak knife into the ceiling? Smile

I'm right behind you buddy, mine should arrive this week. I'll PM you if I come up with anything good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Wondermagnets on the way (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL