The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Red Hot Mama and Chicago Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mystical
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of mystical
I'm just wondering whats the difference between the two? They're exactly the same. Vol. 1 on Daryl's Card Revelations it's called Chicago Opener by Frank Everhart and on Easy to Master Card Miracles its called Red Hot Mama by Ryan/ Everhart/ Leech. Just wondering why they have two different names.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
One of those questions that are never asked but always wondered. I look forward to finding out as well. Thanks for the inquisition.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I believe on the Ammar DVD he states in the explanation that Red hot Mamma is also refered to as The Chicago Opener.
mystical
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of mystical
Yeah that's right he does but I still wonder why they changed it to Red Hot Mama?
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
"Red Hot Mama" was the original name of the effect. Frank Garcia first published the Al Leech trick uncredited as the "Chicago Opener"--called that supposedly because he had seen it used by several Chicago bar magicians including Frank Everhart and Jim Ryan.
magicmonkey99
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicmonkey99
They are the exact same effect. In million dollar card magic Simon says it is chicago opener but also known as the red hot mama, because of the card turning red hot.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Whit Haydn's "Chicago Surprise" fused this trick with Eddie Fechter's "I've Got a Surprise for You" and elevated it to new heights. It's actually three different potential tricks, depending on the spectator's course of action, and if you have any interest in the original, this is the effect to learn.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Where is Whit's routine written up?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Go to http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com then Whit Haydn Products. The notes are extensive, cover the routine including each of the possible outcomes (spectator has some control over exactly what the effect is), and also as an added feature, include Whit's handling of Brainwave. If you don't have any video or lecture notes from Whit, I can tell you right now, you're getting quite the bargain. You're not getting a trick; you're getting a philosophical framework and psychological overview from one of the most thorough thinkers in magic. There's a reason Whit is the Castle's Best Close-Up Magician the last two years running. This is a comprehensive set of notes that describes the importance of each phase of the routine, the psychological aim that is met by that phase, and the small touches (including, for instance, how to miscall a card and why to do so in that fashion) that not only make this effect better, but have application to other effects as well. Whit goes the extra mile in laying out his thinking on every detail of a great effect, and on magic in general.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1328 Posts

Profile of weapon
I actauly use the chicago opener in my streetmagic.. its a pretty strong trick
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
anthonyb
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of anthonyb
The original was "The Hot Card Trick", a mss. published by Ireland in the late 1950's. A reprint is included, with permission, in "A last Look at Leech" (12 card tricks not in Al Leech books), a 44 page book I produced and published last September. Available from YFD (maybe) or me at http://www.thecairnpress.com
Anthony Brahams
www.thecairnpress.com
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
In the end, both tricks have the same result. Simon Lovell on "Million Dollar Card Magic" said that the name "Chicago Opener" was used first, and the nit changed because there was this "red hot card" inside the deck - and this led to the name "Red Hot Mama".

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
I also wanted to mention that Chicago Suprise, by Whit Haydn, is FANTASTIC!!!

Whit has taken the Chicago Opener to the next level.

In my opinion, if the Chicago Opener (Red Hot Mama) is an trick you enjoy performing, then you will LOVE Chicago Suprise!

Take care,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Stig
View Profile
New user
Oslo, Norway
79 Posts

Profile of Stig
I really like Red Hot Mama so I'm curious about Chicago Surprise. Where can I learn more about that?

Thanx,
Stig
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com then to Whit Haydn Products

Quote:
On 2005-04-07 20:25, Stig wrote:
I really like Red Hot Mama so I'm curious about Chicago Surprise. Where can I learn more about that?

Thanx,
Stig

Damien
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Damien
Has anyone seen Ammars variation on Red Hot Mama, I think I saw it on an early Ammar video?
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Thank you Whit. I actually learned YOUR chicago opener at one of your lectures many many many years ago here in Florida. It has served me well sir. Thank you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Red Hot Mama and Chicago Opener (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL