The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What's the name of that ink trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Hi,

My name is victor. I'm a fan of magic, but I usually just go around the "Show Me The Money" forum. But I guess this forum should be where I ask this question.

I saw a trick in TV performed by a group of magicians called T.H.E.M., it's about the magician "accidentally" dropped some drops of ink on a table, and he just gestured with his hand over the droplets, the ink moved itself and formed the word "THEM".

It looks cool, so I'd like to ask is there a name for this trick, and where can I find a way to learn about it?

Many thanks~
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
DamienT98
View Profile
Regular user
London UK now live in Austin Tx
180 Posts

Profile of DamienT98
I saw it, it was a neat trick, but sorry but I have no idea what it was called.
chrisch
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of chrisch
I saw this guy who blind folded two people and made them stand in different parts of the room and when he tapped one person, the other person felt it. DOes anyone know what the name of this trick is?
n0x
View Profile
New user
Germany
26 Posts

Profile of n0x
@info2victor

you can do many things on a tv show.....i mean, its some kind of a part from ellusionist, do you think they are clean? imho they trick around or the table is some kind of modified
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Ha Ha~ acutally my first guess was in fact they have a trick table (in that case I need to bring along with my table LOL~)

n0X you are right... you can't trust everything in the TV show... but I still keep the possiblity of a workable trick =)
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
chrisch
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of chrisch
He did it in front of my eyes And the guy he did it to keeps on rambling on about it
DamienT98
View Profile
Regular user
London UK now live in Austin Tx
180 Posts

Profile of DamienT98
Quote:
On 2005-04-10 02:57, chrisch wrote:
I saw this guy who blind folded two people and made them stand in different parts of the room and when he tapped one person, the other person felt it. DOes anyone know what the name of this trick is?

Its quite a popular trick, Derren Brown does it too. Apolgises again for I have no idea what it is called.

To be honest, I haven't been much help on this thread have i..? ;-)
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Nevermind DamienT98, at least you told me Derren Brown does it too, so it's not an exclusive trick and I may have the chance to learn about it.

Let's see if some others know about the name of it, and I hope it's not just called "The Ink Trick", ha ha ha~

You've got a coin?
gngorick
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of gngorick
I remember seeing a beginners magic book in my local library that has a similar effect. I believe that instead of the ink writing on the table itself, all the magic takes place on a pie tray. Sorry guys, but I have no clue as to where you might learn it though.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The blindfold thing is Banachek's Psychokinetic Touches.

The ink thing is an adaptation of a trick performed by David Copperfield with ink in a pie tin. It's the invention of a Japanese magician, but unfortunately I don't recall his name. I don't believe it's on the market.

If I were to create my own trick like this (Brainstorming here, I'm not saying that's how this one is done) I'd start by doing a google search for ferrofluids.

(Reminder: This is not exposure. I have no idea how this really works. I'm offering ideas out of my own head. If I stumble on someone else's method, the best way to confirm it is for someone to scream "Exposure!" Sometimes it's better to remain silent than to draw more attention to something. Just my opinion.)
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
The inventor of that Ink tirck is Hiro Sakai. (if I am not wrong). I saw him do it live with soy sauce in the bar in the 1997 FISM convention in bar. Neat effect. And I believe that is not marketed item.
Kingtriton
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Kingtriton
Ssucahyo,
You are correct, the inventor is Hiro Sakai and the trick is not marketed by the same name any more. (The owner of my local magic shop and I were trying to figure out if it was available, last week.)
The best way to move a mountain is to change your perspective.
still_ill
View Profile
Loyal user
florida
201 Posts

Profile of still_ill
I do a trick where I spill ink on a table or any other surface and cause it to move around...if anyone would like to know how to do it, I'd be more than happy to share...just PM me
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
I read in another post when THEM first came out saying an effect similiar to this can be found in the Tarbell course of magic. I don't own them so I cant say for sure though...

James
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
There may be something similar to what you saw with the ink, but it's nowhere near as clean as it appears on the show. You can catch the editing if you watch it when the camera cuts close-up, and then from a distance. The back and forth motion shows a very sloppy pile of ink from a distance, and then nice and neat from the edited close up images.

Bancheks PK Touches are really awesome. I've got a copy, and have yet to have to nerve to even attempt it. Very clever, and I had not thought about doing it in such a small environment. I can imagine it to be just as effective. In any case, I'd rather do it in front of a larger group. If you're doing something like that, you'll want as many people witnessing it as possible. Very cool. If someone wants it, I'll trade for any of Banacheks spoonbending material.
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Try http://www.hocus-pocus.com they are selling a similar effect. You put a dot of ink on a piece of paper which then moves around on the paper drawing a circle. The card can then be given away ( I believe ).

Derek Merdinyan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What's the name of that ink trick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL