The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Here is a question of taste... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
By now, all of you have seen the new crate escape, and I thank all of you for your kind words. Here is a question. Should I stain it ? Should I leave it natural and just put a crap load of polyurethane on it ? If I should stain it, what colour of stain should I use ? How about walnut or mahogany ? I'd appreciate your input.

~Rick~
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
My vote would be to keep it natural and just seal it...I think it look fantastic as it is!

Allan
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Rick, the piece is actually too good as it is. I prefer old looking, well used equipment that doesn't smack of tricky or magic. (not that your does, it look fine) Go with what Allan says, you won't go wrong.

(But remove Em' first)

Ian
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
LOL @ Ian.

I agree with both of them here Rick. Sometimes you can make something loook too good and then it somehow loses its appeal. Keep it as it is.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
Hi Rick,

I think I agree with the advice of the others, but I am not sure. I agree with Ian re looking old or used. Your box does not. So I would think you would want to remove some of the "new" look that this beautiful piece of furniture presently has. My sub-trunk is a packing crate that is used to transport props for my show. It is not a special box( or so it would seem).

The real issue here is personal taste and the image you want to project. It would seem like a crime to start beating this box with a chain, but some would be so inclined. Others would not. I am curious which route you will choose.

Rich
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Rick, that box looks like you purchased an old packing crate from a shipping company, and that is that the audience will think too. Not that you built a gimmicked box. Leave it as natrual as possible. Go easy on the varnish too, protect it, but don't make it look too worked on.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Ok...thank you very much, gentleman...natural it is and natural it will stay ! LOL@ remove Em first !!

~Rick~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Here is a question of taste... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL