The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » John Gaughan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Is there a website that John Gaughan sells his illusions on?.........

Thanks for all of your help.

Take care, bry
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
Johnny does not NEED a website. So. No he doesent have one.
Snap_Illusions
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Snap_Illusions
Yes he has a website its called I have the money to buy a John Gaughan Illusion.com
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
A little over a year ago, one of my clients, Austin Brooks, who is a magician and owns a production company contracted with John to build a website for him. On one occasion, I was in John's shop listening to Austin outline his ideas. Everything appeared to be a go and then it all fizzled out for some unexplained reason. Austin's storyboards looked GREAT! But I guess you're right, John doesn't need a website. It's typical of the way some deals end up in the trash can. Life in the big city.

Pax Mentis
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
That last bit was funny .. the .com thing. Johnny is actually a great guy .. and brilliant designer. What most people don't understand about the big price tag on many illusions is, that there is a lot of research and developement costs involved. With new illusion concepts the prop is built and rebuilt a number of times before the final version ever makes it on stage. You're paying for those costs and a usually a royalty fee for many of the new illusions.

It's all part of playing the game .. and it's only fair to pay others for their work .. right? Hopefully this will shed some light on the subject .. well, I did get off the subject .. didn't I??

Steve
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
It also depends upon "what" you're buying from JG... I know when it comes to "stock" systems such as a standard Thin Model Sawing, Johnny is very competitive... reasonable... compared to some of the other suppliers out there.

You do need to be aware of the Killer Attack Parrots however...
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Ah yes...the parrots. They are quite funny too, besides being a terror. When they are chomping on nuts and bolts and you tell them to stop, it is funny to see them sulk and put thier beaks on the ground as if pouting. Although for one of them it is difficult to think it is a parrot as it looks only like a plucked chicken...LOL

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

We bid for doing John's site once many moons ago. Its just not something he is intrested in doing. All of the business comes because of his reputation and proven ability in the industry. he doesent see the need, nor does he need to for advirtising purposes.

Then you ask well why do the others do it. (Willie kennedy, bill smith)

Bill smith feels the same way. Says the site is more for lookie-loo's.
Willie Is more to get with the digital age I suspect. As he seems to stay with technology.
His recent works are posted there. But Bill's site has not been updated in YEARS....

These guys don't need sites. All the major players and the people who count are allready doing business with them. The up and comers who have the money to build with them get their information from other performers, consultants or designers....It is d am cool to see willie's work on the web tho. I'm glad he decided to jump on the internet bandwagon. I really hope John does to. would be great to see his history and photos n stuff SmileThe man is one of the most influential and important illusion designers, builders and magic history-rebuilding machines of all time. Maybie we can get Eric to do his site. Who knows.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Reedrc,

Where do I find the web-site of Willie Kennedy ?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2005-04-26 11:00, reedrc wrote:
I really hope John does to. It would be great to see his history and photos n stuff . The man is one of the most influential and important illusion designers, builders and magic history -rebuilding machines of all time. Maybie we can get Eric to do his site. Who knows.

YES! For the historical value and for those who appreciate this level of work. As you point out, he doesn't need the site for drumming up business. Just like Rolls-Royce doesn't need a web site for that purpose , or the Stickley Furniture Co. doesn't need a web site to get business ..... those who want that level of quality know how to get in touch with them. But it's great to have the history and development of the craft in an easily accessible web site format .

http://www.stickley.com/

http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

El rafael:

http://www.wkmagic.com/

check out http://www.wkmagic.com/gallery/set03/motorcycle_appear.html
on his site. A new motorcycle appearance for the Magic Of Jonathan Bayme.
http://jbayme.com/_img/journals/01jun29/shoot-1-28-3.jpg
We aided in 3D previsualisation for Jonathan for this one. (concept in full was by Jon's team & Willie) the illusion is cool as shi* and Jon & Willie did a killer job with fab & development.
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2005-04-26 11:25, David Todd wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-04-26 11:00, reedrc wrote:
I really hope John does to. It would be great to see his history and photos n stuff . The man is one of the most influential and important illusion designers, builders and magic history -rebuilding machines of all time. Maybie we can get Eric to do his site. Who knows.

YES! For the historical value and for those who appreciate this level of work. As you point out, he doesn't need the site for drumming up business. Just like Rolls-Royce doesn't need a web site for that purpose , or the Stickley Furniture Co. doesn't need a web site to get business ..... those who want that level of quality know how to get in touch with them. But it's great to have the history and development of the craft in an easily accessible web site format .

http://www.stickley.com/

http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/

Me Thinks thou art being sarcastic!

Trust me, anyone that knows magic and knows how to get JG props, don't need a web site to find him.

Then again, one could always pick up a telephone and dial up information if they really "need" to talk BUSINESS vs. wasting the man's time.
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Don't think he was trying to be sarcastic. Just solidify the point in whole.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

Re-read what I wrote .

My point was to agree with those of you who have pointed out that JG does not "need" a web site for advertising purposes , since he has all the business he needs from the top people in magic and plenty of good word-of-mouth to get new clients.

I referenced Rolls-Royce and Stickley companies because they are in a similar position ; they are known for being the creme de la creme and they don't need to drum up business via a website , but they do in fact have very interesting and well-designed web sites which give the history of their company and show examples of their work , both past and present . I think it would be great if JG had something similar documenting his work . That's all I meant .
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
The one thing I hate about the Internet is not being able to hear the tone in which folks speak...

Sorry for my misunderstanding... to me, it came off as a bit of a humor-filled dig as in "yea, but these guys do have one even though they don't need one..."

Time for a nap!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » John Gaughan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL