The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Ahhh trouble (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hawkntia
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC Canada
14 Posts

Profile of hawkntia
Alright ive got most of my tricks how I want them done.. but I can get the urge to go up to anyone.. I'm gonna start on this one bum downtown cuz ive been thinking about trying it on him first but even that seems like a large task. any experiecnse of your own or tips, thanks

hawkntia........
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Ok did you just say you were gonna start it on a bum!!????...

that sounds hella dangerous......

Do you think he is a good bum? I mean do you know him well enough?....man watch out..i wouldn't recommend this yet...unless ur obviously old enough..to protect your self....

Ok anywhom...back to the topic of importance...

How to built confidence....

ITs pretty simple....ask yourself ....am I ready? If you feel you have your effect down perfectly there is nothing to fear.....but if you don't this will definetly make you feel insecure......

But you said you have that down now...right.....if you do...like you said...you have overcomed the first step.

Now second thing...

do you know what you are going to say? My friend this, known as "patter", in magic is just as important. It is going to be your presentation and the way of making a "magic trick"..old, burnt out, new effect....into a miracle....

So make sure you script everything you have to say......Now remember all your script.......If you have it down in memory.....dont sweat it when you are performing......I know for a fact..you cant controll the spectator perfectly..because he will sometimes say something unpredictable.....so you will have to improvise and find a good way to get back to your original script.....

Trust me with practice you will get better......

But to get that practice you have to find it in yourself to say....."i can do this" and guess what you can! All of us magicians here have been through where you are right now....

YOU WILL MESS UP!....YOU WILL MAKE UNBELIEVEABLE MEMORIES AND YOU WILL SUCCEED MOST OF THE TIME IF YOU GOT YOUR EFFECT AND PATTER PERFECTLY!....

So just remember that it won't kill you if you mess up...its natural......you can just find someone else and do it better till you perfect it....but ALWAYS..think positive that you will do it right. BEcause you and I know you can.

Just go for it man. Tell us how it goes ...

Trust me after you finish it you will feel MUCH BETTER.

Good luck and go for it....

ps. Try it on someone you can trust and feel good around.....

You will feel more confident than a total stranger.Or even a friend you don't know that well...those seem to be the easiest for me...since there is very little pressure...

good luck again.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
And maybe, just maybe what you ought to do is respect folks and their space and not foist yourself uninvited on them. I suspect that the very last thing a “bum” wants to see, is some cocky kid who thinks that showing off is cool. By the way, I note the disrespect that you show this poor individual. Trust me when I say your disrespect will show through.

While this will sound harsh or cruel it is not meant to be.

So you can do some tricks! So what! Are you presenting an entertaining routine? Is there some reason that someone would want to stop and watch your wonders? Are you the kind of person that anyone would just like to talk to (because you are engaging and interesting)? If you can’t answer those questions then you probably are not ready to perform magic.

Frankly, magic works best when you like (maybe even love) and respect your audience. The magic is in their minds not in your hands.

If you really, really have some great presentations and you want to invite people to share them, then set up a space, invite the interested to watch. and give them a good show. Woops! That sounds like street magic or street theatre.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Take it from me....the 'professional homeless' are NOT to be trusted or trifled with! If youre a fairly big guy, and there are really NO other strangers around to try it on, then go ahead, but the bum's reaction wont be an accurate indication of how impressive your trick is.....they'd be impessed by a pinwheel. These words are NOT empty, I've had some EXTENSIVE experience in the world of the homeless.

Now, as to approaching people.....choose your mark carefully! If you see someone who looks like they may be interested, follow along with them a momment & listen to their conversation (Oh yeah, another thing, try to pick couples or small groups so the mark dosent feel threatened), and hopefully they'll say / do something which you can deftly insert yourself into. Keep an eye out for akkys (kids) theyre the weak point of any group. Also, go for foreingers...theyre always ready to experience our 'culture' regardless of how simple.

Another approach is, as the esteemed Mr. Murphy said, give people a reason to 'stop & watch your wonders'. Just stay in one place and do something which people can't possibly HELP but notice & be intruiged by. A levitation effect for instance. Another really fun (when it works) manuver is to be holding a piece of napkin / tissue paper with a mouth coil palmed, and wait till you see some one watching you. Then you stuff said paper into your mouth (now theyre watching you more intently) and then extract all 25 feet of paper. (Now theyre staring rapt)
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Ahhh trouble (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL